Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

I don't believe the average smartphone user metrics for one second.

They are entirely biased based on the plan that user is already on.

If a user is on a 1 gig plan, of course they are not going to use more than a gig.

Show me honest and accurate average for only unlimited data plan users (across all carriers with grandfathered unlimited data users), and I guarantee it would be more than just over 1 gig.

30 seconds of Googling:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/special-reports/average-android-ios-smartphone-data-use-across-tier-1-wireless-carriers-thr-1

I apologize, my numbers were slightly low. However, even Sprint users, who have had unlimited data, use 0.68-1.43 GB of data per month. Other carriers have similar numbers.

If a user is on a 1 gig plan, of course they are not going to use more than a gig.

Show me honest and accurate average for only unlimited data plan users (across all carriers with grandfathered unlimited data users), and I guarantee it would be more than just over 1 gig.

You would shocked to see normal peoples bills. The majority really do not use more than a gig or so. I look all the time when people ask about their usage and one of my best tactics for selling the 2gb tab plan is showing people how little data they use on their phone. Many people say oh 2gb is not enough and they do not want a tablet if they have to get a plan adding an extra $50 on thier bill. Once they realize 2gb is probably enough with wifi at home they are all over the tab 3.

I should add that i do see plenty of people with 3+ usage. But grandma, mom, and dad alot of the time use a lot less than 3gb. There is money to be saved if not everyone needs unlimited data or a new phone. So if they can use hand me downs or feature phones at msrp. Sprint dropped feature phone prices last week. The kona went from 209 to 99. The array and rumor both went from 229 to 129.

Sent from tapatalk

• Like 1

shrug, I submit that a sample of 1500 'incentivized' participants is not an accurate representation of the whole.

I would expect closer to 2-3 gig average use on only unlimited plan users.

Including any other non-unlimited plan users into that average will of course bias it towards those particular limits thus lowering the unlimited average.

The fact that tmo had higher utilization than sprint tends to make me believe that sprints slower network speeds and upgrade pains were more of a factor in lower the average.

in any case, I don't want to get hung up on the whole 1 gig average accuracy, versus the fact that pretty much all of the unsubsidized plans from any of the carriers are not designed to save the customer money, they are designed to increase carrier profits.

i just compiled the data usage numbers for my 9 lines so we could figure out what line needs what for data when switching to framily, here is what i came up with for average usage from december 2012 to december 2013

(4090 = 4.09 gig, 35 = 35 meg)

i just compiled the data usage numbers for my 9 lines so we could figure out what line needs what for data when switching to framily, here is what i came up with for average usage from december 2012 to december 2013

(4090 = 4.09 gig, 35 = 35 meg)

Averages are good, but other factors come into play on a monthly basis that can skew averages up or down.  I would compare the average to each month and see if there were any significant anomolies or a random spike in usage, just for safety you know

Averages are good, but other factors come into play on a monthly basis that can skew averages up or down.  I would compare the average to each month and see if there were any significant anomolies or a random spike in usage, just for safety you know

yep, there were a couple that the average was under a gig that had a month or two where they went just over a gig. so we will factor that in. also planning on increasing the average by about 50% to account for the increase in usage once 4G is more prevalent around here :)

also going to ask, once i make it to a store, if the data options can be added or removed from month to month since they are no contract plans.

yep, there were a couple that the average was under a gig that had a month or two where they went just over a gig. so we will factor that in. also planning on increasing the average by about 50% to account for the increase in usage once 4G is more prevalent around here :)

also going to ask, once i make it to a store, if the data options can be added or removed from month to month since they are no contract plans.

I asked this when I switched and was told that you would be able change the data part of the plan at anytime. 

• Like 1

I asked this when I switched and was told that you would be able change the data part of the plan at anytime.

Only thing is for the 1 year upgrade you must have the unlimited data on for 12 consecutive months.

Sent from tapatalk

• Like 1

So essentially, for 1 line on the framily unlimited, we save $4.99 savings but are losing subsidization.

definitely no thanks.

this goes back to my point long ago, moving to a non-subsidized model is still a lose/lose proposition for the customer.

Until we see the equivalent plan of an ED450 *minus* the real embedded actual subsidization costs removed, all other non-subsidized plans are a net increase in costs to the customer.

And dedub reveals himself to be an "unlimited" data abuser.  Are we shocked?

:P

AJ

And dedub reveals himself to be an "unlimited" data abuser.  Are we shocked?

:P

AJ

Really? are we going to personally attack people? Smiley face or not?

Besides the fact that no where in the quoted statements or any of my other statements is anything within the realm of data abuse?

AJ I am disappointed.

thank you Rocket87 for all the help! just went to my local corporate store to confirm i would get the same answers from them since that's where i will be when we do the switch and i did :)

$15/mo fee will be waived for switching to framily since all 9 lines were last upgraded 6+ months ago. then separately from that with switching, anyone of the 9 lines can either stick with their current phone, or go in at any time and get a new phone on easy pay without turning in their current phone. i did ask how long they would have to come in and get a new phone and he said at least till the end of april but probably longer than that.

i didn't ask this but i'm guessing that even if that "deal" went away and someone didn't upgrade, once their "contract" from the subsidized phone is up they would be free to do whatever they wanted at that point anyway.

will be talking to everyone this weekend and hopefully making the switch next week. thanks again everyone for their help :D

So I got my first months bill on framily. I have 5 lines (9 on the framily). My Framily rate should be 25 a month, however my bill is showing 55 a month per line. Called sprint, they're saying it takes one to two billing cycles for the rate to show up. This switch has been nothing but headaches. 

They wont ever be forced to switch phones, but they may not always have the option to early upgrade. April is after the date we have been hearing for subsidised phones coming to an end so that may be where the april thing came from.

Sent from tapatalk

• Like 1

So I got my first months bill on framily. I have 5 lines (9 on the framily). My Framily rate should be 25 a month, however my bill is showing 55 a month per line. Called sprint, they're saying it takes one to two billing cycles for the rate to show up. This switch has been nothing but headaches. 

yep it says that on their page here

https://now.sprint.com/framily/?INTCID=AB:HERO:010714:Framily:960x320

Group savings, separate bills.

Enjoy the Framily discount knowing that you can have separate bills for each account. So you can share all the benefits of Sprint Framily without sharing the bill. Discount is applied within 2 invoices.

Did they not offer a credit?

Sent from tapatalk

Damn, I looked right over that. I guess this one is my fault. I'm paying over a hundred dollars extra this month. Yikes!

i will be interested to see if that applies to lines not on the same account or if it matters. i have 9 lines on my account and will switch all 9 lines to framily and they will still be under the same account. wonder if it will still take 2 billing cycles for that scenario too.

i will be interested to see if that applies to lines not on the same account or if it matters. i have 9 lines on my account and will switch all 9 lines to framily and they will still be under the same account. wonder if it will still take 2 billing cycles for that scenario too.

Id bet that it would. Maybe I'm just jaded by my experiences in the last couple of days but I think they'll charge the 55 per line if they can get away with it. 

Really? are we going to personally attack people? Smiley face or not?

Besides the fact that no where in the quoted statements or any of my other statements is anything within the realm of data abuse?

AJ I am disappointed.

If you are disappointed, too bad.  My post was largely in jest.  But you have also long been an "unlimited" data apologist.  And you seem to be arguing against observations that do not support your viewpoint on data usage.

AJ

Hmm, my conversation with sales was very misleading... the was no mention of having to pay full price for all the lines I moved in for the first month.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmm, my conversation with sales was very misleading... the was no mention of having to pay full price for all the lines I moved in for the first month.Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Me either. It's there though. Guess I gotta suck it up.

Just saw a Framily commercial on CBS a bit ago... I guess they are now on the new ads now after cancelling the old ones.

No more Totes Magotes?

AJ

• Like 5