Say hello to the Framily (inexpensive but potentially confusing new Sprint group plan pricing)

No_name

Thanks. So the 3GB and 1GB plans do not qualify for the annual upgrades on Easy Pay?

As I understand it, that is correct.

Now, here is a related question.  The $20 "unlimited" data add on qualifies for annual upgrades.  Does that mean the typical subsidized upgrades?  In other words, handset upgrade cost will be roughly $200 -- instead of full price?

AJ

• Like 1

Hey Rocket, just to clarify, is it for sure that only the Framily plan 'owner' or initiator that can see other line phone numbers on the plan, or can other account holders see what numbers are involved from other accounts as well?

As I understand it, that is correct.

Now, here is a related question. The $20 "unlimited" data add on qualifies for annual upgrades. Does that mean the typical subsidized upgrades? In other words, handset upgrade cost will be roughly $200 -- instead of full price?

AJ

I do not have the 13 pagelaunch guide or QRB in front of me right this second. Ill look into it in a bit.

But i do believe the only way to be on framily plan is to be on easy pay, pay msrp, or use an old device. If you move to framily plan and our under contract you will have an additional $15 b/c there is no devuce subsidy baked into these plans. I get the feeling that in a year or two everyone will be transitioned to no subsidies.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

For the promotion where current customers with a subsidized phone who aren't upgrade eligible don't have to pay the $15 framily service charge (the fourth slide in the OP), is the $15 waived for the remainder of the 2-year contract or just during the promotional period?

When you do the math, throwing in unlimited data on ten lines and the cost of phones this way ends up being more costly. Same argument used against tmobile and their plan prices. Most people well still end up needing a phone but the plan is great for people who bring there own device.

I cant help but wonder how the 4th quarter numbers ended up. Its unlike Hesse to abandon any plan or program changes so soon. Definite proof that Son is demanding growth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

According to the Sprint Newsroom link in previous post, existing customers can't form a "framily" with other existing customers unless all accounts are owned by the same person.

When current customers move to the Sprint Framily Plan they can create a new group with any phone lines on their account and invite friends to join Sprint and be a part of their Framily plan. However, existing Sprint accounts cannot be combined into one Framily plan unless both accounts are owned by the same person.

So it's just a clever ploy to increase subscribers.

This explains why One Up was so...half-assed. Couldn't even get on it using the website. This has probably been planned for a while, and One Up was just to try to keep people who wanted Edge/Jump/WhateverATTcallsIt from bailing.

Really wondering how tablets are added to these plans. Are the data only plans still around?

According to the Sprint Newsroom link in previous post, existing customers can't form a "framily" with other existing customers unless all accounts are owned by the same person.

And that puts the kibosh on the potential S4GRU Framily exchange thread for almost everyone -- except, ironically, Robert.

I do think, however, that Sprint will also start to offer unsubsidized individual plans at competitive rates this year.

AJ

• Like 3

I like what I see so far. Better or similar pricing to MVNO's but without the byod restrictions that MVNOs face.

I see this as being aimed at tmo customers and some of the at&T mvno subs. It's smart, its aimed to offer a full carrier sub experience (roaming, perks, customer service) without the contract, with mvno pricing etc and without eating their own mvno subs (why spend money to acquire your own subs?). Personally I don't have enough lines to make a huge change but with more lines its a hell of an attractive deal. The peer pressure factor alone will result in higher retention. The easypay makes taking top of the range phones not just possible but easier (often a PITA with MVNO's). 

I really like that the market is evolving, more choice, better deals, this is competition in action. 

• Like 5

And that puts the kibosh on the potential S4GRU Framily exchange thread for almost everyone -- except, ironically, Robert.

I do think, however, that Sprint will also start to offer unsubsidized individual plans at competitive rates this year.

AJ

I believe it says that an individual without a "framily" would pay $55 before taxes and fees alone... Which include text talk and 1gb of data...

Has any wireless provider trademarked the phrase "there's strength in numbers" for its family/group plan?  If not, I am surprised.

AJ

Too bad about that :( Maybe I can convince some people to switch.

Question: if a new account adds an existing account to its framily, can it add another existing account?

Let's say Robert signs up with Sprint again and adds AJ's existing account to his framily. Can he act as a hub on a wheel then add digiblur and others?

I believe it says that an individual without a "framily" would pay $55 before taxes and fees alone... Which include text talk and 1gb of data...

And you may be right -- that may be the best that we get from a single line standpoint.  On the surface, it sounds like a better deal, but the absence of a 20 month subsidy could be difficult to stomach.

AJ

What's interesting is that Virgin Mobile offers a $55 plan with unlimited data, but no roaming. Framily is $55 for 1GB of data, but you also get roaming thrown in.

If I didn't know my family's plan usage to be pretty low, Framily would actually work out very much in my favor, assuming my family converted from Ting. Their phones were all bought contract-free, and I'd fall under the "no extra fee limited time promotion" banner (recall that my contract subsidized a Galaxy S III, not the Nexus 5 that I'm currently using). With five family members, I'd be looking at $35/month per line, plus another $10 or $20 for me, depending on the month. Which ends up at $185-$195 per month, which isn't much more than we're paying now, but with a lot more data per line (the only thing I instruct the rest of the family to be thrifty about).

For what it's worth, here's the marginal cost of each added Framily line (since the cost reductions as you add lines can get confusing):

1. $55 - one line ($55)
  2. $45 - two lines ($50 * 2 - $55)
  3. $35 - three lines ($45 * 3 - $50 * 2)
  4. $25 - four lines ($40 * 4 - $45 * 3)
  5. $15 - five lines ($35 * 5 - $40 * 4)
  6. $5 - six lines ($30 * 6 - $35 * 5)
  7. -$5 (!) - seven lines ($25 * 7 - $30 * 6)
  8. $25 - eight to ten lines

Yes, before taxes and fees seven lines are actually cheaper than six! If you have an existing Sprint phone, anyway.

For my next post, I'll compare Framily to the current Unlimited My Way plans.

By the way, has anyone heard about tethering on Framily? I assume that for 1GB and 3GB plans Sprint doesn't care. But what's the tethering allotment on the unlimited-data plan? Hopefully Sprint matches and raises T-Mobile and says it's 3GB.

• Like 5

And at least some are speaking enthusiastically of Sprint -- a rarity among the magenta laced tech press.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/07/sprint-just-turned-its-customers-into-recruiters-with-its-unique-spin-on-the-family-plan/

Yesterday and today, I discussed with Kevin some T-Mobile highway coverage weaknesses, which happen to be Sprint strengths. So, that may have helped pave the way for a positive article.

AJ

• Like 6

What's interesting is that Virgin Mobile offers a $55 plan with unlimited data, but no roaming. Framily is $55 for 1GB of data, but you also get roaming thrown in.

If I didn't know my family's plan usage to be pretty low, Framily would actually work out very much in my favor, assuming my family converted from Ting. Their phones were all bought contract-free, and I'd fall under the "no extra fee limited time promotion" banner (recall that my contract subsidized a Galaxy S III, not the Nexus 5 that I'm currently using). With five family members, I'd be looking at $35/month per line, plus another $10 or $20 for me, depending on the month. Which ends up at $185-$195 per month, which isn't much more than we're paying now, but with a lot more data per line (the only thing I instruct the rest of the family to be thrifty about).

For what it's worth, here's the marginal cost of each added Framily line (since the cost reductions as you add lines can get confusing):

1. $55 - one line ($55)
  2. $45 - two lines ($50 * 2 - $55)
  3. $35 - three lines ($45 * 3 - $50 * 2)
  4. $25 - four lines ($40 * 4 - $45 * 3)
  5. $15 - five lines ($35 * 5 - $40 * 4)
  6. $5 - six lines ($30 * 6 - $35 * 5)
  7. -$5 (!) - seven lines ($25 * 7 - $30 * 6)
  8. $25 - eight to ten lines

Yes, before taxes and fees seven lines are actually cheaper than six! If you have an existing Sprint phone, anyway.

For my next post, I'll compare Framily to the current Unlimited My Way plans.

By the way, has anyone heard about tethering on Framily? I assume that for 1GB and 3GB plans Sprint doesn't care. But what's the tethering allotment on the unlimited-data plan? Hopefully Sprint matches and raises T-Mobile and says it's 3GB.

The advantage Framily has, in my opinion, is phone selection.  Go with Virgin Mobile or Boost, and you're limited to only Virgin and Boost phones.  Go with an MVNO like Ting and you can't use a phone that's less than a year old like the Moto X, Galaxy S4, or HTC One (Sprint does allow the Nexus 5 on byod for MVNO's however).  I don't mind buying phones off contract because I can usually find them on Craigslist for a good price.

And at least some are speaking enthusiastically of Sprint -- a rarity among the magenta laced tech press.

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/07/sprint-just-turned-its-customers-into-recruiters-with-its-unique-spin-on-the-family-plan/

Yesterday and today, I discussed with Kevin some T-Mobile highway coverage weaknesses, which happen to be Sprint strengths. So, that may have helped pave the way for a positive article.

AJ

These plans have me excited.  I used to have 2 lines with Sprint proper, but now only have 1 line and the other I've been mvno and prepaid hopping for the past 8 months or so.  I've used MetroPCS (which is TMobile service), AT&T GoPhone, the other AT&T prepaid subidiary that shall not be mentioned, just to test out service providers in my area, but I wouldn't mind getting a tri-band phone with Sprint again.

Edited by avb

So, here are the numbers for Framily vs. Unlimited My Way. I'm assuming One Up gets used on the latter, since that's the easiest comparison. If you get iPhones you come out ahead by $90 over two years by not using One Up, but you could buy an iPhone right now and convert to Framily later, even with the $15 per month surcharge, and gain the same effect. In other cases, phone subsidies are closer to $360 over two years, so you're losing less there.

Anyway...

1. One line: $55 for Framily, $55 ($50 + $20 - $15) for UMW, but unlimited data is $10 more expensive on Framily (you can get 3GB for the same price)
  2. Two lines: $100 for Framily, $100 for UMW, see above
  3. Three lines: $135 for Framily, $135 for UMW...this is starting to sound familiar
  4. Four lines: $160 for Framily, $160 for UMW
  5. Five lines: $175 for Framily, $185 for UMW; the discount is "trued up" if one line gets unlimited data in both cases
  6. Six lines: $180 for Framily, $210 for UMW; prices are equal if three lines get unlimited data in both cases
  7. Seven lines: $175 for Framily, $235 for UMW; prices are equal if six lines get unlimited data in both cases
  8. 8-10 lines: same marginal price per line, so see above for unlimited plan comparison

Now the question is what Sprint means by "upgrades every year" for unlimited-data customers. If you can keep your device at the one year point then it's building a bit of subsidy back into the monthly fee and decreases the real cost of unlimited data over 3GB for gadget hounds like myself. If it's VZ Edge/current One Up style "trade it in", it's less attractive. Though it seems like Easy Pay lets you do that anyway.

To condense the comparison above, if you're consuming less than 3GB of data per month, Framily is as good a deal, or better, than UMW with One Up. Or if you can get five or more people on one account...and most of them use less than 3GB of data...you come out even or ahead. Or if you've got six-plus folks on the plan, you can still come out ahead even with a few heavier data users. This is completely ignoring phone payments (I'm assuming everyone buys a Nexus 5 :P).

• Like 3