T-Mo CEO thrown out of AT&T party

illest_ios

And yet again, social media geniuses . That Facebook thing with the letter to your ex carrier is absolute genius. Definitely attracting the younger generation. #omgawd#love#tmobile#l8er#AT&T#you#can#suck#it  

And yet again, social media geniuses . That Facebook thing with the letter to your ex carrier is absolute genius. Definitely attracting the younger generation. #omgawd#love#tmobile#l8er#AT&T#you#can#suck#it  

Yep. And look at the comments on The Verge http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/8/5289044/t-mobile-will-pay-you-up-to-350-to-leave-your-existing-carrier

So many people saying "Can't wait to ditch Sprint for T-Mobile" :td:  What are these people going to say when Sprint/Softbank buys T-Mobile? Probably nothing, since they can still use the "edgy" T-Mobile brand I suppose.

• Like 1

True. But lets not forget one thing. People want the best network and they want it "Now" I cant talk anyone into coming back to Sprint due to broken promises of the past. If Tmobile has it now people will switch. At least until the coverage issue starts to become noticeable. If tmobile is really taking as many customers from Sprint and growing as fast as they say it is then Sprint is going to have to pull out the holy grail of advertising campaigns in the history of mobile. Framily is a good start but it is very confusing and does not appeal to the masses. Just like when Hesse said that the best buy student promo didnt do to good at all.

I feel like he caught himself when he said sprint is a shitstorm, because he knows that it won't be and it won't be fairly quickly. Also, finding spark is a treasure hunt? Well if you consider finding gold at the end ultimately being Sprint Spark (which will be in all major cities and blow Tmobile out of the water... at least in reliability at first and later in speeds)...then yes.

Typically long term "lab projects" lead to concise, refined results. In the sense that you can also replicate the procedure over and over and over with consistent results. AKA a reliable, consistent, fast, and excellent network.

Looks like T-Mobile will now be covering early termination fees for family plan customers who leave their competitors early. Of course there are some strings attached, but it looks to be quite a pretty big move. Could this be the beginning of a much bigger price war than we've been seeing?

Source: http://gizmodo.com/t-mobile-will-pay-your-early-termination-fee-if-you-swi-1497320467

Legere, for all his bluster (some of which I give him credit for, let's face it, AT&T needs thwacked in the worst way) didn't address the Sprint/SoftBank issue directly. 

• Like 5

Definitely left it open to interpretation... Be interesting what the next few weeks unfold like...

True. But lets not forget one thing. People want the best network and they want it "Now" I cant talk anyone into coming back to Sprint due to broken promises of the past. If Tmobile has it now people will switch. At least until the coverage issue starts to become noticeable. If tmobile is really taking as many customers from Sprint and growing as fast as they say it is then Sprint is going to have to pull out the holy grail of advertising campaigns in the history of mobile. Framily is a good start but it is very confusing and does not appeal to the masses. Just like when Hesse said that the best buy student promo didnt do to good at all.

That seems to plague this entire generation. Everyone wants it now, and if they don't have it now they bitch and moan. I guess I am the same in some sense that I expect my results quickly but when there is a logical reason behind the delay ( in this case there is), then I am more than willing to compromise. Other people are not though. 

• Like 1

Key quotes about Sprint so you don't have to pick them out. I pulled them all from the cnet live blog.

When the Sprint guys get their 200M pops of low-speed LTE done, I'm going to throw them a party, he says.

"Someone ask Dan when Sprint will get 200 million pops and a full nationwide network, he says."

"Sprint is a sh!tstorm" As far as device compatability.

"Finding Sprint Spark is like a treasure hunt, he quips. It's also worse than our speed, he says."

"Sprint is deflecting criticism by focusing on a long-term lab project"

Unfortunately I find truth in 90% of this. But on the flip side even finding edge on his network is a treasure hunt as well.

People would be more understanding if we didnt have to pay for it but since we do i can see how someone gets mad to have unusable 3g and mediocre lte with no definate timeline in site.

That seems to plague this entire generation. Everyone wants it now, and if they don't have it now they bitch and moan. I guess I am the same in some sense that I expect my results quickly but when there is a logical reason behind the delay ( in this case there is), then I am more than willing to compromise. Other people are not though.

• Like 1

People would be more understanding if we didnt have to pay for it but since we do i can see how someone gets mad to have unusable 3g and mediocre lte with no definate timeline in site.

Well we don't have a fee for premium LTE so thats good, excluding of course the data actual plan you have. Is the "3g fee" not just something that was implemented when data started getting used much more on newer more modern smartphones?

Yes but bills where also cheaper since data wasnt really carer about back then. I had a cellphone but i didnt use it much until that faithful day June 3rd 2010 when the evo 4G changed the game and made data more relevant. Then 4G drove prices up on all carriers. But back the the point. Sprint doesnt have the reliability or coverage to charge more money at this moment. They are not much cheaper than Verizon or At&t now so another fee would give them big boy prices with sub par coverage in comparison

Well we don't have a fee for premium LTE so thats good, excluding of course the data actual plan you have. Is the "3g fee" not just something that was implemented when data started getting used much more on newer more modern smartphones?

Do the other carriers have definate timelines?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes and they move faster. But tmobile hit there timeline of covering 200 pops while it is unknown if sprint has yet to do the same. Att said it would cover 300 pops by the end of the year and they are likely to get it done faster at the rate they are going l. And verizon is basically finished.

Do the other carriers have definate timelines?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

This brings up an interesting topic. Would Legere be the new CEO of the new company?  Where would Dan Hesse go?

Highly unlikely. I don't think that Legere is compatible with Son. That would be like sticking a clown in a  room full of lawyers.

• Like 5

This argument does not work with mobile networks though. Verizon has had a competent LTE network for years. AT&T stepped up their rollout a while ago too. T-Mobile went into turbo mode in their rollout. Sprint waiting this long to start Network Vision (no matter the reason, no matter how thorough they are being or how good it will be) IS a reason to complain-the old network did not fly with people when the other carriers had stepped up their game. Quite honestly, the people who left Sprint because the 3G was so awful made a good decision. Now in the future, when Network Vision is complete (and that means Spark completed), those who left should seriously consider returning to the Sprint family to enjoy the fantastic network.

Consumers who are paying hundreds of dollars a month do not want to hear "wait" or hear "logical reasons for a delay" at all. They want what they are paying good money for to work NOW.

Let's face it, pre-NV, Sprint was GARBAGE. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. And that is precisely why the Sprint name should be sunsetted.

As far as a combined T-Mobile, Hesse should be CEO. He knows the business, and seems to understand the importance of Network Vision (even if it did come a few years late). Legere should be some kind of marketing head or spokesperson though. Sprint's post-NV network will be legitimately able to use his flamboyant jabs at competitors since the network will actually be better.

All this blathering about Sprint being "late"... Sprint's only blunder was waiting so long to find a sugar daddy.  Flipside?  Had they sold or taken a cash infusion, say, 2 years earlier than they did , the value of the transaction would have been even lower.  

Tmobile's expansion was in the past and continues to be funded and overseen by a its parent-  who has deep pockets and can securely dedicate funds.   Had Sprint taken bigger risks or pursued overhaul without funds sooner than it did, we could very easily have seen them tore limb from limb in a panic sale or bankruptcy.  Remember, Hesse had to sell debt to find funds for NV... and to sell that debt, he had to create a plan that would both inspire investors and create an expectation that sprint had a true, long term solution to its ailments.  Selling debt with a half baked plan would have gone less favorably than it did. 

And with this said, I admire Legere's audacity today.  Whether or not tmobile has the goods they claim to have, I think they will prompt ATT to be more aggressive, which will trickle over to its bed mate. 

• Like 3

They are not going to fire hesse and I doubt Legere would be CEO

Does anyone know the terms of Legere's contract with Tmo?  He is likely all for a buyout no matter what that means for him, as his contract probably provides a gorgeous golden parachute. 

Does anyone know the terms of Legere's contract with Tmo?  He is likely all for a buyout no matter what that means for him, as his contract probably provides a gorgeous golden parachute. 

I think I heard that Hesse had signed a long (8 years, I think) contract with Softbank during the buyout in an interview.

Well I did read one article about T-mobile claiming the fastest LTE network. And they went on talking about verizon's AWS LTE network. and in the comments the first one I read was a T-mo fanboy claiming the Author was bias just because he wrote a few articles praising verizon instead of T-mobile. Yes I know there is bias here but Why does it seem that T-mobile fanboys have such a stronger hatred towards all carriers, and praising other carriers?