T-Mo CEO thrown out of AT&T party

illest_ios

Why does he seem to target AT&T more instead of Verizon or Sprint? 

He targets AT&T rather than Verizon because Vzw would decimate them on every front and Vzw isn't viewed as quite as evil and hopeless as AT&T. I think they don't target Sprint because of the overtures made between the two companies and it makes more sense to have a no hate agreement with Sprint so they can both focus on taking on the big two. One HUGE reason, if not the biggest, they target AT&T is that most AT&T phones are identical in hardware to tmo phones so a quick unlock and they should work just as well as any tmo phone. Not having to change your phone beyond an unlock removes one big barrier to switching. AT&T is easy to hate and its subs are low hanging fruit. 

Also, bashing Sprint actually exposes a lot of their own flaws.  They suffer from many similar issues.  So Tmo is farther along with LTE deployment in some places.  This is not a way to build an advertising campaign against Sprint.

Tmo needs to point out how and why they are better than any generic competitor.  Just point out flaws of their competition without naming names.  That will be far more effective.  AT&T, Verizon and Sprint customers already know what they dislike about their providers.  If Tmo talks about each one of these weaknesses in a fun and educational way, they could win the masses.  I would suggest Sprint do the same thing later in 2014.

Robert

• Like 6

It's pretty interesting to see the comments on tmobile stories at other sites. Johns gimmicks are definitely getting the attention he wants. I see people saying ... As soon as my AT&T contract is up... I'm gone.

What I wonder is how many people who have jumped ship from AT&T, Sprint or Verizon to tmobile found out it's not always greener on the other side, and jumped back to their original carrier?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I was one who jumped from Sprint to T-mobile.....Its great service in the city but I left the city one weekend and that was a complete rap for me with them. As soon as I got home I called up sprint and reactivated my account. Ill put up with the network upgrades in Ohio. Sprint is getting better here.  Sometimes cheaper is not always better. Honestly when you look at it. I was paying about the same amount or close to with T-Mobile that I was with Sprint. 

• Like 9

It's pretty interesting to see the comments on tmobile stories at other sites. Johns gimmicks are definitely getting the attention he wants. I see people saying ... As soon as my AT&T contract is up... I'm gone.

What I wonder is how many people who have jumped ship from AT&T, Sprint or Verizon to tmobile found out it's not always greener on the other side, and jumped back to their original carrier?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I'm seeing more and more people on Google+ and The Verge saying "T-Mobile is great IF you have LTE in your area." and sometimes outright complaining about T-Mobile coverage. A month or two ago, it was (nearly literally) all "I'm leaving Sprint/AT&T for T-Mobile asap!!!11!" (Very few people talking about switching from VZW, for some reason.)

• Like 1

I'm seeing more and more people on Google+ and The Verge saying "T-Mobile is great IF you have LTE in your area." and sometimes outright complaining about T-Mobile coverage. A month or two ago, it was (nearly literally) all "I'm leaving Sprint/AT&T for T-Mobile asap!!!11!" (Very few people talking about switching from VZW, for some reason.)

I've definitely noticed it too. As an avid Google+ user, a lot of those people that claimed they are switching from (x) to T-Mobile, a lot of them are complaining about coverage. They're not as large as the Sprint "slow speed" crowd, but it is becoming more notoceable every day.

• Like 2

That's funny. You may not have fallen for his antics, but while replying about not falling for his antics, you practically provide a commercial for his international roaming. He is smiling from ear to ear. :lol:

Not picking on you. But I couldn't help but notice that. Heck, I'm falling for it by continuing to discuss it. I'm a chump too, I suppose. We are all just puppets to Legere's Narcissistic Machinations.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I really hope Sprint hashes out their own no cost (for data and texts anyway) international roaming agreements. While I wouldn't use it often it would be a real boon to have when I do.

I'm hoping the pressure causes Sprint to do something to make international roaming more reasonable.

I really hope Sprint hashes out their own no cost (for data and texts anyway) international roaming agreements. While I wouldn't use it often it would be a real boon to have when I do.

I'm hoping the pressure causes Sprint to do something to make international roaming more reasonable.

Tmo is in a much better position in this regard. With Tmo and DT in Europe already having such a strong interconnection with other providers. And also being a 3GPP provider. Tmo has a strong leg up in this arena. Will be hard to duplicate. Sprint would have a better chance to start in Asia.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

As Robert notes, T-Mobile's included international roaming comes from its Deutsche Telekom parent.  That may go away, since we are basically all in agreement that the Germans are retreating from this market -- sooner or later.

Moreover, the included international roaming is maybe the least beneficial "uncarrier" perk that Legere has engendered.  It is little more than a psychological ploy for 99 percent of T-Mobile subs.  Oh, I might travel overseas -- someday.  Sure, you might, but you probably will not.  And you would be far better served worrying about your T-Mobile coverage in Paris, Texas than in Paris, France.

AJ

• Like 6

So 15 minutes away...I know there's no chance, but how awesome would it be if instead of talking about buying out contracts from other carriers, T-Mobile committed to upgrading every single edge tower to LTE!

• Like 1

So 15 minutes away...I know there's no chance, but how awesome would it be if instead of talking about buying out contracts from other carriers, T-Mobile committed to upgrading every single edge tower to LTE!

insufficient funds, but yeh it would be awesome.

Is anyone else watching these live blogs of the CES Event?

http://live.cnet.com/Event/CES_2014_T-Mobile_press_conference_live_blog

I like how he didn't really diss Sprint. He says they have tons of capability and tons of spectrum. He tells everyone to go back once it gets better. He mocked the Framily name though. 

He said Verizon takes customers for granted and their family plans suck.

And he begins to tear AT&T apart!

• Like 2

TMUS is trying for rural, IMO. What can they do, though, with no low band spectrum immediately deployable? 

In the long run, do they need to be there? Yes. In the short run, what winning move can they make to expand coverage?  

I don't see it. At least not until they can clear 700A to where they can deploy it, which will take time. 

Oh but their network engineering is trying really hard to cut on Sprint. He says they use lab testing to deflect criticism. And he says it's super hard to find Band 41. LOL! It's super hard to find a T-Mobile signal inside a cardboard box!

Is anyone else watching these live blogs of the CES Event?

http://live.cnet.com/Event/CES_2014_T-Mobile_press_conference_live_blog

I like how he didn't really diss Sprint. He says they have tons of capability and tons of spectrum. He tells everyone to go back once it gets better. He mocked the Framily name though. 

He said Verizon takes customers for granted and their family plans suck.

And he begins to tear AT&T apart!

You just commented too early.  Neville Ray is about to become enemy #1 in this thread.  I wonder if they can actually get away with painting such a skewed picture of Sprint?  Probably with the way the media hates them too.

• Like 1

You just commented too early.  Neville Ray is about to become enemy #1 in this thread.  I wonder if they can actually get away with painting such a skewed picture of Sprint?  Probably with the way the media hates them too.

Oh you bet! He just made a lot of enemies!!!

Of course they can get away with what they said. Right now, it's true. But their rosy picture only works for urban areas. Wait till their customer numbers increase and their network slows down as well. Sprint is running a marathon with their network buildout, not a 'sprint' to throw up a random LTE network like Tmobile and Verizon.

• Like 3

I love how they dumped all over Sprint's rollout plan as taking too long but later in the Q&A they were asked to address the complaints of lack of suburban and rural coverage and they said it's a "long term play". 

• Like 6

Key quotes about Sprint so you don't have to pick them out.  I pulled them all from the cnet live blog.

When the Sprint guys get their 200M pops of low-speed LTE done, I'm going to throw them a party, he says.

"Someone ask Dan when Sprint will get 200 million pops and a full nationwide network, he says."

"Sprint is a sh!tstorm" As far as device compatability.

"Finding Sprint Spark is like a treasure hunt, he quips. It's also worse than our speed, he says."

"Sprint is deflecting criticism by focusing on a long-term lab project"

• Like 2

His answer on why he is so flamboyant is interesting.

"I saw that this company could
take advantage of an industry that was going. What happened I'm just a sponge. When I talked to customers I couldn't believe how contemptuous .... they weren't just unhappy, they hated the carriers, the experience, the way of buying phones.."

"It's fun to win, it's even more fun when somebody loses and hurts while you're doing it"

That is true in my personal experience. A lot of people absolutely hate their carrier (except Verizon customers I have found)

He also responded to the question of Wall Street being worried about a price war (which, IMO, is what the US wireless industry needs) by saying "no, but we are going to shake them up."

I found the presser overall interesting. The attacks on Sprint seemed more like poking fun rather than blatant flamethrowing like they did to AT&T. They find it really hard to find  a weakness to attack Verizon, so they attack AT&T's stupidity and Sprint's slow network buildout (which it is slow, but meticulous and is going to be great)

• Like 1

Question re: rumors of Sprint buyout. Legere: historically, the consolidation of the industry has been for spectrum. As you'll notice, the people rumoring around about T-Mobile, they're spectrum. they're spectrum with no legs. The brand, the attitude is here to stay. How that plays out? We can acquire low-band spectrum and be standalone independent; but there are other capabilities that would provide significant scale." In other words, they will prevail no matter what the situation is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with a few of these. The shit storm of device compatibility and pardon our dust was much more than dust. Everything else he is talking out of his ass

Key quotes about Sprint so you don't have to pick them out. I pulled them all from the cnet live blog.

When the Sprint guys get their 200M pops of low-speed LTE done, I'm going to throw them a party, he says.

"Someone ask Dan when Sprint will get 200 million pops and a full nationwide network, he says."

"Finding Sprint Spark is like a treasure hunt, he quips. It's also worse than our speed, he says."

• Like 2

I think T-Mobile will be bought by Sprint. The Verge nails it on their analysis IMO. Sprint could basically buy themselves a bunch of momentum in terms of brand identity, while using their solid Network Vision network (despite John's idea that Spark is crap - the only thing crap about it is the name). Buying subs does work - Verizon did it with all of us former Alltel subs (I still miss those days. That network was so good at the time).

• Like 1

Key quotes about Sprint so you don't have to pick them out.  I pulled them all from the cnet live blog.

I feel like he caught himself when he said sprint is a shitstorm, because he knows that it isn't, and will be increasing rapidly. Also, finding spark is a treasure hunt? Well if you consider finding gold at the end ultimately being Sprint Spark (which will be in all major cities and blow Tmobile out of the water... at least in reliability at first and later in speeds)...then yes.

Typically long term "lab projects" lead to concise, refined results. In the sense that you can also replicate the procedure over and over and over with consistent results. AKA a reliable, consistent, fast, and excellent network.

• Like 2