Has much more coverage

Has more reliablity

Has more money 

Has money to do whatever it wants

Has more Lte coverage

TMo

Has better pricing 

Has better marketing to make their customers "feel good" 

At the end of the day tmo just doesnt really stack up to att. Tmo is almost like a regional carrier to att. Same as sprint is to vzw

IF att is really worried then sign some roaming agreements (lte) with sprint.

Tmo has things going for it, but on the large scale its just throwing pebbles at att to make people feel good.

How many more subs would they need to get to half of att? Can their network support 60 mil subs? With growth comes more cost, tmo isnt a threat.... yet but who knows if that will ever be...

How does tmo even compare to att>?

Tmo has cheaper prices 

Both networks are built off gsm/utms

Both have deployed lte 

Tmo has cheaper prices...

Att 

Has more expensive pricing for the most part

Has much more coverage

Has more reliablity

Has more money 

Has money to do whatever it wants

Has more Lte coverage

TMo

Has better pricing 

Has better marketing to make their customers "feel good" 

At the end of the day tmo just doesnt really stack up to att. Tmo is almost like a regional carrier to att. Same as sprint is to vzw

IF att is really worried then sign some roaming agreements (lte) with sprint.

Tmo has things going for it, but on the large scale its just throwing pebbles at att to make people feel good.

How many more subs would they need to get to half of att? Can their network support 60 mil subs? With growth comes more cost, tmo isnt a threat.... yet but who knows if that will ever be...

AT&T just got rid of the penalty for unsubsidized devices. I'm now paying for ATT about the same as Tmo postpaid. Tmo prepaid has some cheap offerings, but also does ATT through an unnamed subsidiary that is not allowed to be mentioned at S4GRU.

So cheaper really does not apply anymore. This is what could make a big problem for Tmo trying to take on AT&T directly. They should challenge AT&T without calling out their name. I think this could really backfire.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

AT&T just got rid of the penalty for unsubsidized devices. I'm now paying for ATT about the same as Tmo postpaid. Tmo prepaid has some cheap offerings, but also does ATT through an unnamed subsidiary that is not allowed to be mentioned at S4GRU. So cheaper really does not apply anymore. This is what could make a big problem for Tmo trying to take on AT&T directly. They should challenge AT&T without calling out their name. I think this could really backfire. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Would this be the one that bumps you down to a slower connection when you hit the bandwidth cap? (something I like).

The list above did omit that AT&T is pure evil whereas tmo is just hapless. One way or another, I think AT&T will be better able to survive. They have the money to buy spectrum and deploy it. They have the money to upgrade where needed i.e. MIMO with more antenna etc. TMO are doing well right now (for them at least) because they are promising a lot and right now they can kind of deliver but as their offerings attract more people and all their customers usage profiles evolve to include more and more streaming at higher resolutions, I just don't see it ending well for them. AT&T with all its money had problems with the iphone data usage. I know tmo just raised 2bn, but my guess \ opinion is that they will need considerably more than that over the next few years to buy and buildout what they need and even if they do they face the problem of their customers phones not supporting new bands so even if you buildout you still have congestion issues because the bands may not be accessible to many of your customers. They are rolling the dice. I'm with them for now because it's attractive to me personally, but I don't see unicorns and rainbows in the medium to long term. Once NV is rolled out here the choice will be a lot simpler.  

• Like 3

Would this be the one that bumps you down to a slower connection when you hit the bandwidth cap? (something I like).

The list above did omit that AT&T is pure evil whereas tmo is just hapless. One way or another, I think AT&T will be better able to survive. They have the money to buy spectrum and deploy it. They have the money to upgrade where needed i.e. MIMO with more antenna etc. TMO are doing well right now (for them at least) because they are promising a lot and right now they can kind of deliver but as their offerings attract more people and all their customers usage profiles evolve to include more and more streaming at higher resolutions, I just don't see it ending well for them. AT&T with all its money had problems with the iphone data usage. I know tmo just raised 2bn, but my guess \ opinion is that they will need considerably more than that over the next few years to buy and buildout what they need and even if they do they face the problem of their customers phones not supporting new bands so even if you buildout you still have congestion issues because the bands may not be accessible to many of your customers. They are rolling the dice. I'm with them for now because it's attractive to me personally, but I don't see unicorns and rainbows in the medium to long term. Once NV is rolled out here the choice will be a lot simpler.

To answer your question...yes. Well written post.

The list above did omit that AT&T is pure evil ...

Frankly, I trust at&t more than I do T-Mobile, Straight Talk (and all of Tracfone's brands for that matter), and even Verizon. I just saved my friend from Straight Talk and we ported her number back to at&t, (port should be done today or tomorrow). Since she will only be paying $3 more in taxes per month than Straight Talk's $45, it'll be better than having a carrier that cancel's peoples service for no apparent reason.

Frankly, I trust at&t more than I do T-Mobile, Straight Talk (and all of Tracfone's brands for that matter), and even Verizon. I just saved my friend from Straight Talk and we ported her number back to at&t, (port should be done today or tomorrow). Since she will only be paying $3 more in taxes per month than Straight Talk's $45, it'll be better than having a carrier that cancel's peoples service for no apparent reason.

Why would you not trust tmobile? Just curious. 

I'll preface this with the comment that I am the type of person who won't use a company if I view it as unethical. I don't use safeway because one of their local stores locked up an Air Force Staff Sergeant who was 30 weeks pregnant, and her husband and put their 2 year old in a care home overnight because they forgot to pay for a sandwich they had eaten on whilst shopping (they paid for the rest of their shop), so perhaps my decisions are not the norm which would be a fair call but I firmly believe in not being evil just because you can.

When I look at tmo I see them trying to compete, they don't sit on spectrum (short of not having the cash to deploy), they don't spend a fortune donating to political parties \ candidates \ PAC's, they try and DO rather than talk. Look at the amount AT&T spends on buying politicians and marketing. I just see TMO as a company that is constrained by its finances but is trying to deliver for the customer which in turn should deliver for their shareholders. I look at AT&T and I see a company that will happily cheat it's way forward. AT&T haven't tried to change the market, their pricing is dangerously close to Verizons, they don't want innovation, they tried to buy TMO for no other reason than it would allow them to screw customers even more, tmo was a limiting factor on how much they could raise their ARPU, buying TMO would mean they could raise their prices, nothing more. You are totally free to disagree :) I realise I could be walking dangerously close to tinfoil hat territory. This is just personal opinion but I see a very different ethos at the two companies.  

• Like 2

How much do you trust AT&T to bring high speed internet to your Pahrump home? I'd guess not very much.

As far as "trust", I don't think I trust AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, nor Sprint.

• Like 1

How much do you trust AT&T to bring high speed internet to your Pahrump home? I'd guess not very much. As far as "trust", I don't think I trust AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, nor Sprint. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Ditto

• Like 1

Why would you not trust tmobile? Just curious.

Crappy service. I know of people who said t-mobile had decent 3G in Pahrump when it first was turned on, and has degraded down to about the same speeds I have on Sprint 3G at home. AT&T had the same thing happen, and it's settled out to 1.5 to 2 Mbps consistently. I hear tmobile's data is still getting worse.

How much do you trust AT&T to bring high speed internet to your Pahrump home? I'd guess not very much. As far as "trust", I don't think I trust AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, nor Sprint.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

They flat out told me they won't upgrade the copper in my area. I may be mad, but I know they won't upgrade the lines. As for Digis, for microwave based Internet, it's very stable, and I love it. We only have the cheapest plan, but 3 Mbps is fine for me in home.

They flat out told me they won't upgrade the copper in my area. I may be mad, but I know they won't upgrade the lines. As for Digis, for microwave based Internet, it's very stable, and I love it. We only have the cheapest plan, but 3 Mbps is fine for me in home.

At least you have ways to get it. AT&T DSL is limited to 3 meg, actually lower due to PPPOE, in my neighborhood because of the poor choice of placing the Uverse equipment. No WISPs cover the area. Cox cable has a good DOCSIS 3 service but is overpriced. They have the monopoly basically.

• Like 1

At least you have ways to get it. AT&T DSL is limited to 3 meg, actually lower due to PPPOE, in my neighborhood because of the poor choice of placing the Uverse equipment. No WISPs cover the area. Cox cable has a good DOCSIS 3 service but is overpriced. They have the monopoly basically.

I hate monopolized ISP's. That's why I'm glad we have 2 fixed wireless ISP's now that offer really good service in Pahrump. One uses microwave backed backhaul of around 600Mbps from Vegas, and Digis is upgrading to 600Mbps or 1Gbps microwave backhaul in from Vegas soon. Things are finally looking up for internet service in Pahrump. Oh, and when I'm not home, I only pay $10/ month for a vacation rate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1