Sprint to combine Virgin and Boost and revive Nextel (also regional grocery chain thread)

Paynefanbro

Here's something that may have flown under the radar as I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Late last month Sprint revamped their Direct Connect Now app to include more phones and to supposedly now work on LTE, though that remains to be seen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qualcomm.qchat.dla

Compatible Phones & Software:

• Samsung Galaxy S® 4 (SW: MK2)
• Samsung Galaxy Note® 3 (SW: MJ4)
• LG G2 (SW: ZV6)
• LG Optimus F3 (SW: ZV8)

Coming Soon:
• Samsung Galaxy S® 4 Mini
• Samsung Galaxy Mega
• Kyocera Hydro Edge

Getting Direct Connect Now running on more high end handsets may be a part of Sprint's alleged attempts to revive the Nextel brand.

• Like 1

There are lots of other MVNOs that use the Sprint network that aren't owned by Sprint. Also, they pay money for the use of the Virgin brand, so I can see why they might want to combine Boost and Virgin. Either they can kill the Virgin brand and move them all to Boost, or kill both of them and convert them to some new brand.

That Virgin brand is not only (very) expensive it comes with restrictions. Having worked for a virgin company, to use the brand you have to keep within certain service metrics i.e. you cannot have a bad reputation that might taint the virgin brand so your complaints department and fault levels all have to meet certain criteria. There are some benefits to the Virgin branding, in Europe at least, it comes with an aura, people think it cannot be bad because its Virgin. The reality is different of course but it does get you sales. Honestly, with a market this thin on margins I would probably dump it but I also hate marketing so I am probably biased.  

If Sprint is going to go backwards in time, I want my NFL Network app back so I can watch Thursday night football games on my phone again.

Yes please. Speaking of football promotions anyone remember Monday night calling for free? This was before free n&w I think.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes please. Speaking of football promotions anyone remember Monday night calling for free? This was before free n&w I think.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

And FIMF... Ahh.. The days of using minutes.

• Like 1

Nickel, you are such a "helpful smile in every aisle."

AJ

I'm still laughing at this several days later.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a Publix kind of guy. I feel dirty walking by a Winn Dixie.

I only bought things on sale at Publix when I lived in Florida. That, and their sweet tea. Public has the best commercial sweet tea on earth. Other than produce, I am a cheap ass when it comes to groceries. I buy loss leaders and stock up. I have two fridges, three freezers and two pantries. I'm used to living in the country.

• Like 2

Am I missing something? :confused:

I enjoy obscure geographically charged humor. AJ and I are not just wireless nerds, but geography nerds. It's always enjoyable to make a reference that only gets picked up by a few people. But Hy-Vee can't touch Publix sweet tea or just about anything at Raley's.

Although, I wish we had Hy-Vee or any other competition here. We only have Safeway, Family Thrift Center and Walmart. :(

• Like 1

Robert, you can just make the short drive over to Sioux Falls for Hy-Vee.

AJ

• Like 1

I enjoy obscure geographically charged humor. AJ and I are not just wireless nerds, but geography nerds. It's always enjoyable to make a reference that only gets picked up by a few people. But Hy-Vee can't touch Publix sweet tea or just about anything at Raley's. Although, I wish we had Hy-Vee or any other competition here. We only have Safeway, Family Thrift Center and Walmart. :( Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I like Hy-Vee, it's basically all I've ever known.

Robert, you can just make the short drive over to Sioux Falls for Hy-Vee.

AJ

You and I must have different definitions of "a short drive"

The official standard in the wide open West is <6 hours.

AJ

• Like 5

Anyone who doesnt shop at Fresh and Easy is a monster.

Probably better than Kum and Go.

But I give you my word, once you shop at Publix, you will be instantly ruined and unable to shop at any other supermarket. My mother in law is now talking about selling her house in Newark, moving here and living in the community in front of the Publix here. It will hook you. Just last night I picked up a 20 piece hot and spicy wing dinner and a quart of sweet tea. I am still in euphoria from last night.

Anyone who doesnt shop at Fresh and Easy is a monster.

Fresh & Easy sounds like the street name of a Fresno hooker. :rofl:

• Like 3

Probably better than Kum and Go.

But I give you my word, once you shop at Publix, you will be instantly ruined and unable to shop at any other supermarket. My mother in law is now talking about selling her house in Newark, moving here and living in the community in front of the Publix here. It will hook you. Just last night I picked up a 20 piece hot and spicy wing dinner and a quart of sweet tea. I am still in euphoria from last night.

Maybe the Publix stores in St Augustine is that great but most the ones in Jacksonville are not like they used to be.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fresh & Easy sounds like the street name of a Fresno hooker. :rofl:

Its a chain with 150 stores, California, Nevada and Arizona.

Sells a lot more organic/local/healthy stuff than your average market, but at standard prices (ie, not whole foods mark ups).

Excellent selection of pre-made lunches. Having lobster mac and cheese at work is class.

Its a chain with 150 stores, California, Nevada and Arizona.

Sells a lot more organic/local/healthy stuff than your average market, but at standard prices (ie, not whole foods mark ups).

Excellent selection of pre-made lunches. Having lobster mac and cheese at work is class.

It was started by Tesco, a UK company. It tanked at the cost of about $2bn and I think was bought out by its management. I visited a few of their Cali stores, not bad but I think they misread the market. The cheaper wholefoods is close to the mark. It's absolutely nothing like their UK stores though! Their UK stores are much closer to safeway \ Ralphs.

It was started by Tesco, a UK company. It tanked at the cost of about $2bn and I think was bought out by its management. I visited a few of their Cali stores, not bad but I think they misread the market. The cheaper wholefoods is close to the mark. It's absolutely nothing like their UK stores though! Their UK stores are much closer to safeway \ Ralphs.

The best part was how cheap everything was because they would pile coupons on discounts on coupons on free gift cards.

Its why they lost $2bn - they were literally giving food away.

Every week they'd have a $12 off $50 coupon, and a $5 off $25 coupon (they stacked). Grocery has a small margin, and they were giving massive discounts off already lowish prices AND there was a rewards program on top of it.

And it was glorious, as a customer. Probably not so great for share holders....

Right now they have brand new owners so all the coupons are gone (noooooo) but the food quality is still very high. I've never bought a store branded item there that wasn't fantastic.

Bonus: They have a deep discount section for stuff expiring soon. While US chains love throwing food away, they give huge markdowns and sell it to you. Steak has a sell by date of tonight? Who cares - I need it for dinner anyway and it's 75% off.

• Like 1

Another possible initiative at gaining business customers:

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/carrier-wifi/sprint-starts-big-enterprise-push-with-wifi/d/d-id/707136

Sprint is working with Ruckus Wireless to offer managed WiFi to enterprises, but Ruckus executives suggest it's just the start of the carrier's much grander plans for enterprise services.
  • Like 1