Sprint to combine Virgin and Boost and revive Nextel (also regional grocery chain thread)

Paynefanbro

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/31/sprint-nextel-freedom/

Am I the only one here who is gonna check the original artcle and freak out because we have not addressed the return of unlimited hotspots and speed based premium pricing tiers?!?! Awesome news! Time to monetize and utilize that mountain of of recently acquired spectrum.

• Like 3

The Boost and Virgin brands are definitely redundant, and I'm not sure the Virgin brand has the cachet on the USA that it has in other markets (the airline, for example, barely has any presence outside a few transcon and transoceanic markets). Plus the Boost brand gives them somewhere to dump T-Mobile's ops when they ditch the T-Mobile name.

As for bringing back the Nextel brand, I'm a bit more ambivalent but they need to use it for something or lose the trademark at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Is that true that they will lose the trademark if they don't use it?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Nextel actually fits the old Clear stuff, because a fair chunk of the BRS spectrum used for TD-LTE was actually Nextel's to begin with. And was used in the Research Triangle (here we go again) for Flash-OFDM (Flarion -> Qualcomm -> dead) which at the time was pretty awesome, providing HSPA-class speeds in 2005 or so, back when EvDO rA wasn't out then.

If Sprint brands their fixed wireless, starting with the Corpus Christi deployment, as Nextel, that's fine with me.

If Sprint can figure out how to make Nextel the "ThinkPad" of wireless like it used to be, they've successfully resurrected the brand.

I for one am excited about the speed-limited unlimited hotspot options. 2500MHz with higher-order MIMO and higher-power devices (fixed wireless or hotspots like the Zing) can allow Sprint to sustain such a business model. Thousands of wireless ISPs work with a lot less.

I'm not expecting speed limits above 10M for unlimited tiers, and service would probably be only guaranteed while on TD-LTE. But that's enough for the tons of folks who otherwise have one option for uncapped, reasonable-speed broadband: cable. Or none.

• Like 5

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes it's true. Remember Lucky grocery stores? When Albertsons bought American Stores back in 1998, they rebranded all Lucky stores as Albertsons. In 2006, Grocery Outlet rebranded one of their stores as Lucky, and wreaked havoc. Lawsuits went ablaze, and Albertsons almost lost the rights to the Lucky name for not using it for 6 years.

While it makes sense combining Boost and Virgin Mobile, I am starting to think someone at SoftBank or Sprint is smoking something funny....

They must of joined the dolphins in chomping on that puffer fish

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/30/puff-puff-pass-young-dolphins-deliberately-chew-puffer-fish-to-get-high-with-each-other/

Nextel actually fits the old Clear stuff, because a fair chunk of the BRS spectrum used for TD-LTE was actually Nextel's to begin with. And was used in the Research Triangle (here we go again) for Flash-OFDM (Flarion -> Qualcomm -> dead) which at the time was pretty awesome, providing HSPA-class speeds in 2005 or so, back when EvDO rA wasn't out then.

I was patiently hoping you would chime in on this one sir. You always post some cool knowledge a lot of us had no idea about. Such as Flarion for example. As well as cool bits of information about how these airwaves have been spread around and used over the years.

I am very excited as well for the reasons you stated, especially the fact this is a great way to get so many folks who do not have any choices for connectivity. This is a great utilization of what is a large swath of spectrum that has mostly sat, from what I can tell, under used at best. As you stated it need not be a top speed bandwidth option, but will be highly usable and a comparative to many other mainstream options available today, and would most likely just take a dedicated carrier or two in the massive real estate that is band 41.

Plus the fact that mobile cards and hotspots are more reliable and efficient technologically then 6-7 years ago goes a ways to lighten the burden. I imagine the ability to add MIMO drives up the strength of a solid connection. Thus essentially being less drag on a cell sector than say a person with a handset indoors with a lot of interference, requiring more power for that connection, correct? please confirm or correct that if you get a chance, but I believe the work required to maintain weak reception is a heavier load than a couple power users, if I have been studying correctly. 

I believe if this gets off the ground well with the fixed antennae and other higher powered connections available, this may also enable us to get an edge on better options for handset antennae as well. I know the industry is moving more towards capacity now as we see spectrum acquisitions expand and become more expensive, and millions of more devices come online for example, it becomes essential to find efficiencies such as power and reuse. I believe this serves as a jumping board for that in developing better, more capable radios.

I see this as an excellent collaboration opportunity for Sprint to get ahead of the curve in a business sense with other companies, say to wring out savings(Dish install partnership) or just get some of this stuff in that shiny new lab they built and get it to the people. As well as maximizing under utilized radio waves, a great chance to offer broadband to under served and monopolized areas of the country wired operators have no initiative or motivation to serve. Also, this gives Sprint a chance to use that name recognition to sell a unique business option if executed nationwide, as getting a data spot is generally atrociously priced on a per bit basis, but can come through in the clutch for many different professions when you need internet now, wherever you are. The Nextel brand could do that.

All of this could be done with the seeds they are planting, getting the better antennae out of the lab to devices, making sound business partners, making a good profit off of users who will gladly pay for dependable service, bringing wireless broadband to so many new areas and folks who want or need it, bringing online new technologies that promise bigger, better, and faster wireless speeds, more streamlined network usage. Before other users scream and climb the walls at the thought with' zomg there goes unlimited data you guis ruined it!!!111 run to tha hillz'  they can do all this and it won't be a giant drag on the network with such a great spectrum position and the new 8t8r systems, as well as the excellent new network management technologies coming out, and policies they are putting in place.

These things are achievable if a smart team at a company executes them well, and plans accordingly. I would ask those who don't think it possible, why would you not want a company to pioneer new technologies to bring better access, faster throughput, and the best speeds? That is kind of limiting yourself right out of the gate, which I don't subscribe too. Every time a neat opportunity like this comes around it will naturally have naysayers, and it will have the people that make it possible. Sure hope all of this new spectrum, re branding, and innovation sure works out for Sprint. I find this very, very exciting.

"Is it true that if you don't use it, you lose it?"

"Is that a serious question?"

"No, it wasn't."

AJ

• Like 2

I'd tend to agree. Clear Business Solutions sounds clean, crisp and concise to me.

Why? What does "XOHM" even mean anyway? What would it mean to customers?

What does Verizon even mean, anyway?

• Like 2

Why? What does "XOHM" even mean anyway? What would it mean to customers?

X + OHM = no resistance.  You will be assimilated.

AJ

• Like 8

That it does mean!

Speak like Yoda, you will.

AJ

• Like 2

Yes it's true. Remember Lucky grocery stores? When Albertsons bought American Stores back in 1998, they rebranded all Lucky stores as Albertsons. In 2006, Grocery Outlet rebranded one of their stores as Lucky, and wreaked havoc. Lawsuits went ablaze, and Albertsons almost lost the rights to the Lucky name for not using it for 6 years.

What a decidedly California-centric post. As if anyone outside of California remembers Lucky stores. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

What a decidedly California-centric post. As if anyone outside of California remembers Lucky stores. ;)

Yeah, Grocery stores are pretty regional, it'd be like me asking Josh if he remembers Hinky Dinky.

• Like 1

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I don't think Sprint will ever bring back unlimited for hotspots or home ISP. It would fill up it's airways in no time. Sprint still has finite spectrum resources.

I think Sprint could offer unlimited home solutions in rural areas. But I don't think they want to make a distinction with unlimited rural service and tiered service with urban/suburban.

That's why this team up with DISH kind of makes that work. The joint venture could just only offer service in areas that are ISP underserved and not spectrum starved. Allowing for a robust LTE experience without throttling or data caps.

That way Sprint does not starve it's long term growth high speed/capacity spectrum, and it uses the joint venture as a differentiator to allow unlimited hotspot/home ISP in areas it can do so without impact to their network. Quite brilliant, actually. But I hope they brought adequate "protection" before getting into bed with Charlie Ergen. I hear he has VD...corporate VD. Can be fatal without the proper remedies. ;)

• Like 3

Merge Boost with VM and Rebrand?

Wonder what will happen to the loyal low income prepaid folks who have been paying $40 /month for unlimited data and have lived with the limitations all these years and are just now starting to see better 3g speeds and EVEN LTE?

Will it be a change for the better for them? I hope so.

West coast-centric. Lucky was in Nevada too. But even then, it's a good lesson on trademark stealing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think it makes total sense to combine both Virgin and Boost mobile prepaid brands together.  Sprint had 5 brands to manage before Nextel shut down and even today it has 4 brands to manage (Sprint, Clear, Virgin, Boost).  Even today, I only see Virgin mobile commercials and don't ever think about Boost mobile.  I think all major carriers should only have 1 prepaid brand to avoid confusion.

Especially if Sprint makes a bid for Tmobile it will need to manage Tmobile/MetroPCS as well.  Sprint does need to make the necessary consolidation moves now in preparation for future mergers.

I cant say I think any of this makes sense.

Boost and Virgin are strong (known) bands, why throw them away and start with nothing?

Yes theyre redundant. Thats the point. Joe Cellphone doesnt know theyre the same company.

If hes in the shop comparing verizon prepaid, boost, virgin, sprint pay as you go, at&t prepaid and tmobile, hes spending 50% of his time looking at Sprint.

Nextel has the aura of "old" around it. And doesnt inspire trust.

West coast-centric. Lucky was in Nevada too. But even then, it's a good lesson on trademark stealing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I hardly consider California plus Clark County, Nevada the West Coast. ;)

We didn't have Lucky in Northern Nevada. Closest they ever got was Truckee, CA.

So how many of Y'all have shopped at a Piggly Wiggly?

I think that is limited to people who say "y'all."

AJ

• Like 5