Sprint Family Plans & Upgrade

echo4papa

Okay, I'm about to add a new line to my family account, and upgrade phones on the secondary and main accounts.  So, naturally, I'm looking at the plans as well.

It seems like the new Unlimited My Way plan is a step back from my current Everything Data Family 1500 plan in almost every way, and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

First, the only advantage I see of the the Unlimited plan is the unlimited minutes versus shared minutes.  However, thanks to the free cell to cell calls on the Everything plan, we only use an average of 200-300 actual plan minutes per month.  So, the advantage is non existent at this time.

As far as advantage of the Everything plan versus unlimited:

• cheaper (at 5 lines which I will have once I add my brother) it ends up around $52 per person after my discount on the main line.  Even run out to ten lines for maximum savings, the "Unlimited" plan still works out to $64 a line.
  • Fuzzy on this one, but the unlimited data, I believe, extends to roaming data, where the new "Unlimited" plan limits roaming data to 100mb per line per month.
  • Fuzzy, again, but I've read about data throttling on the new "Unlimited" plan.  I haven't seen this with the "Everything" plans, so I'm wondering if this is another draw back.

It seems like a no brainer, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  Obviously, if I want to move beyond the 5 lines, or if shared minutes become a concern, I will be forced to swap plans, but at this time, I don't see that happening.

Would they end up forcing people out of these old plans?  Can they?

The Everything Data plan does NOT have unlimited roaming data. I put that in caps because Sprint will terminate customers that use over 300 (I think) megabytes of roaming data. But yeah, Everything data is better than the new plans for most people.

• Like 1

cheaper (at 5 lines which I will have once I add my brother) it ends up around $52 per person after my discount on the main line.  Even run out to ten lines for maximum savings, the "Unlimited" plan still works out to $64 a line.

Yes, the price tends to be higher on Unlimited My Way. What percentage of discount do you have?

Fuzzy on this one, but the unlimited data, I believe, extends to roaming data, where the new "Unlimited" plan limits roaming data to 100mb per line per month.

Everything Data has 300 MB of roaming data. Unlimited My Way has 100 MB. A non-issue to most people.

Fuzzy, again, but I've read about data throttling on the new "Unlimited" plan.  I haven't seen this with the "Everything" plans, so I'm wondering if this is another draw back.

Streaming video "may" be limited to 1 Mbps; no other throttling is involved. I have yet to see any evidence of even this being implemented.

Would they end up forcing people out of these old plans?  Can they?

As long as you stay on your Everything Data 1500 plan, you can keep it. You can keep adding lines up to the 5 line limit. To go past 5, you'll need to switch.

A couple other things...

The Unlimited My Way plans have the "Unlimited for Life Guarantee", while the older Everything plans do not. Not sure if that matters to you, or will matter.

If you go with Sprint's One Up phone financing/annual upgrade program, while you are paying a monthly fee for the phone financing, you do get $15 off that line, while on My Way. If you go for One Up on an Everything plan, you don't get a discount, and just add the price of the phone directly on.

If you start up a new account or switch plans, you go to the My Way plan.

I get an 18% discount, but it only applies to the main line.  So, with my current plan, it gets applied to the $110, under the new My Way plan, it only applies to the $50 fee.  I really hate how they work that, because we also get a similar discount with Verizon, only they apply it to your entire bill (minus fees and taxes) instead of your main line (according to the only co-worker I know that's on Verizon).

However, V doesn't have unlimited data, and combined across all 4 current lines, we used an average of 8gb per month for the past three months.

As long as they don't force me to change my plan when I upgrade my phone, then everything will be fine.  

It has also been mentioned here that you cant goto a third party retailer as they only have access to the new plans. I don't know how true that is but I did try to add another line online and was unable to keep my data everything plan and add a new line. I went into a sprint corporate store and they were able to add it on for me.

It has also been mentioned here that you cant goto a third party retailer as they only have access to the new plans. I don't know how true that is but I did try to add another line online and was unable to keep my data everything plan and add a new line. I went into a sprint corporate store and they were able to add it on for me.

There was a week or 2 that we (Best Buy) were forced to move upgrades to the new plans. That has since been corrected. We have no issues processing upgrades on older plans.

Sent from my LG G2.

• Like 1

Individual Liable Accounts can have up 10 devices. The 1500 plan only can have 5 phones it, thats been the cap for years.

Also corporate stores can add a line to your account. They just need to manually put in.the correct SOC code because the data share 1500 no longer shows up on the plan selection page.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great info guys, thanks.  I think I'll go through Amazon for my wife's upgrade and to add my brother to the account, assuming I can keep my plan intact.  She want's the S4 and it's free, but $200 through Best Buy.

Around the first of the year Best buy opens up it $50 off program for cell phones. I will keep an eye open for it and post here when I see it.

the new My Way plans your discount comes off the data portion of each line. so for 5 lines each getting unlimited data at $30/line it would be

30*.18*5 = $27 total discount.

Even if it works that way, I'm still at $52.72 per line in my current plan and $63.49 in the new.  Even the new plan with ten lines comes in at $56.95 per line in total.

Around the first of the year Best buy opens up it $50 off program for cell phones. I will keep an eye open for it and post here when I see it.

Thanks.  My upgrade comes Feb 1, but I'm going to try to hold out and see what HTC brings to the table.

• Like 1

I had 5 on the data plan, and 5 on the text 1500 plan....

decide to consolidate...yes it is more.......for me I just raised the "divided" amount for the 5 on the text side (as i am paying for 4 of the 5 data plans) and yea we never went over the 1500

HOWEVER

2 of the 5 switched the text lines to home numbers, and thus the minutes TOOK OFF...so it was a no brainer

and yea, they are sneaky about "raising" prices without saying they are raising prices

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, unlimited my way plans have a $10 1GB hotspot add on per line that isn't available on everything data. Its one of the primary reasons I switched. They have the option to throttle video streaming to 1 mbps but I haven't noticed any changes. I thought it was happening to me but I realized HD was being disabled by default.

As mentioned above, the discount applied to the data portion of the line, so $20, or $30 is discounted. I'm not sure if its intended, but on mine every line's data portion is being discounted, not just the primary.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Um so wth just two lines (one line on Everything 450) my plan is worse without both plans on the my way

Line 1: $50 Minimum Monthly Charge

Line 2: $40,

Line 3: $30

Line 4-10: $20 each

My plan comes out to 150ish without the new plan..... and closer to 120ish with both on the new plan 25% discount bc usps

Um so wth just two lines (one line on Everything 450) my plan is worse without both plans on the my way

Line 1: $50 Minimum Monthly Charge

Line 2: $40,

Line 3: $30

Line 4-10: $20 each

My plan comes out to 150ish without the new plan..... and closer to 120ish with both on the new plan 25% discount bc usps

Are you not planning to add data to any of those lines?