Cheapest way to check out VZW AWS LTE

iansltx

What is this VZW AWS LTE? Is it fast?

I read on here that Sprint's LTE is faster. is that true?

-Marc

Depending on the market it pretty much is. Sprint currently is deploying 5mhz FDD-LTE solutions in the eSMR 800 (band 26) and PCS 1900G (band 25) which has theoretical maximums of 37.5 mbps dl / ~12 mbps UL. Verizon AWS LTE is deploying in much wider blocks due to their large and unused AWS portfolio they purchased a while back which allows them to deploy up to 20 mhz FDD-LTE carriers which has theoretical max of somewhere in the 150 mbps range if given the backhaul. Ofcourse not all markets have enough spectrum for 20mhz carriers and 15 mhz and 10mhz and maybe 5 mhz carriers will be utilized. 

The Sprint counter to their AWS capacity is Band 41 TDD-LTE (Spark) which sprint has immense amounts of spectrum in. Max speed won't match Verizon but the large amount of spectrum Sprint has in that band insures Sprint speeds stay relatively consistent whereas Verizon AWS will start slowing down due to capacity. Verizon has enough spectrum for a single large carrier but Sprint has enough spectrum and technology to deploy up to 4x 20mhz [15mhz/10mhz/5mhz] TDD carriers but which are not needed yet. 

• Like 1

Depending on the market it pretty much is. Sprint currently is deploying 5mhz FDD-LTE solutions in the eSMR 800 (band 26) and PCS 1900G (band 25) which has theoretical maximums of 37.5 mbps dl / ~12 mbps UL. Verizon AWS LTE is deploying in much wider blocks due to their large and unused AWS portfolio they purchased a while back which allows them to deploy up to 20 mhz FDD-LTE carriers which has theoretical max of somewhere in the 150 mbps range if given the backhaul. Ofcourse not all markets have enough spectrum for 20mhz carriers and 15 mhz and 10mhz and maybe 5 mhz carriers will be utilized. 

The Sprint counter to their AWS capacity is Band 41 TDD-LTE (Spark) which sprint has immense amounts of spectrum in. Max speed won't match Verizon but the large amount of spectrum Sprint has in that band insures Sprint speeds stay relatively consistent whereas Verizon AWS will start slowing down due to capacity. Verizon has enough spectrum for a single large carrier but Sprint has enough spectrum and technology to deploy up to 4x 20mhz [15mhz/10mhz/5mhz] TDD carriers but which are not needed yet. 

Here, not scientific, but comparable signal conditions, Verizon AWS and AT&T's current offering in NYC

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my modem for awhile but can't seem t find a way to tell what band I'm using. My Nexus 5 says there's Verizon LTE around here in AWS, but I don't notice a huge speed boost like I think I should be seeing. Unless upload speeds in excess of 10 Mbps are a sure sign that I'm on AWS LTE a few minutes from the Atlanta airport.

Did you get UML295? Verizon is using 20Mhz wide channels in Atlanta on AWS, so I'd say if you see upload over 26Mbps, you're on AWS.

I have the 295. No uploads over 11 Mbps though. And I saw my fastest VZW LTE speeds in the Austin airport today: ~55 Mbps down and above 10 Mbps up. On my 700MHz-only iPad.

I have the 295. No uploads over 11 Mbps though. And I saw my fastest VZW LTE speeds in the Austin airport today: ~55 Mbps down and above 10 Mbps up. On my 700MHz-only iPad.

Have you updated the firmware? You should be able to hit at least over 20Mbps on the upload in ATL market.