Non-G-Block PCS LTE Carriers

Interestingly, Bye said that Sprint is already in the process of refarming some of its CDMA EV-DO services on its 1900 MHz spectrum for LTE. He said the carrier is refarming some unused 5x5 MHz EV-DO channels to LTE in an effort to improve and reinforce its LTE network.

Read more: Sprint's Bye: '2014 is the year' - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-bye-2014-year/2014-01-08#ixzz2poe7K76M 

Has anybody seen any evidence of that?

• Like 3

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-bye-2014-year/2014-01-08

Interestingly, Bye said that Sprint is already in the process of refarming some of its CDMA EV-DO services on its 1900 MHz spectrum for LTE. He said the carrier is refarming some unused 5x5 MHz EV-DO channels to LTE in an effort to improve and reinforce its LTE network.

Now we need our members to look for other Band 25 channels, double time. I'd love to see another channel. Urban areas in more mature deployment markets are the most likely to see an additional carrier.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

It looks like Sprint is aiming to make a big splash in 2014 as its suppose to be wrapping up its Network Vision project sometime in 2014.  Most of the article is just reiterating stuff that we already know here at S4GRU.

However what I found interesting about the article is this blurb below:

"Interestingly, Bye said that Sprint is already in the process of refarming some of its CDMA EV-DO services on its 1900 MHz spectrum for LTE. He said the carrier is refarming some unused 5x5 MHz EV-DO channels to LTE in an effort to improve and reinforce its LTE network."

What I am curious is about is which markets do you guys think Mr. Bye was trying to hint at for being in the process or planning to deploy a second 5x5 LTE carrier?  I think the consensus around here seems to be that Chicago will be one of these markets that will get a second 5x5 LTE carrier since they just got some fresh 20 MHz of new spectrum to play with from the US Cellular transaction and their network seems to be overloaded.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-bye-2014-year/2014-01-08

Thanks, but this was already posted twice early this morning.

AJ

so I was doing some searching on the wall of old s4gru posts and came across the why T Mobile and Sprint should share network and looking at the difference spectrum layouts of where their PCs licenses lie it makes me salivate at the potential monster that could be! But I would definitely welcome a second 5 x 5 carrier in the New York City market!

http://s4gru.forumflash.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-33-spectrum-analysis-part-twosprint-and-t-mobile-spare-pcs-spectrum-would-pair-nicely-for-a-lte-partnership/#

There was never a part 3....

so I was doing some searching on the wall of old s4gru posts and came across the why T Mobile and Sprint should share network and looking at the difference spectrum layouts of where their PCs licenses lie it makes me salivate at the potential monster that could be! But I would definitely welcome a second 5 x 5 carrier in the New York City market!

Unfortunately, that band 25 LTE 1900 joint venture opportunity likely passed almost two years ago.  But as the author of the articles in question, I appreciate your readership and thoughts on the matter.

AJ

• Like 2

Unfortunately, that band 25 LTE 1900 joint venture opportunity likely passed almost two years ago.  But as the author of the articles in question, I appreciate your readership and thoughts on the matter.

AJ

Either way it was well written article... Thank you for write up! I and most would not know anything if it wasn't for how the site breaks things down to discuss and understand!

so something just crossed my mind if these bands arent on sprints G block spectrum and there between A and F, blocks that would mean they would be support for band 2 LTE for Sprint devices right? And, would the new tri-band devices have LTE band 2 support already built in, or is it in all sprint LTE devices but lying dormant?

so something just crossed my mind if these bands arent on sprints G block spectrum and there between A and F, blocks that would mean they would be support for band 2 LTE for Sprint devices right? And, would the new tri-band devices have LTE band 2 support already built in, or is it in all sprint LTE devices but lying dormant?

Band 25 is PCS A-G. Band 2 is PCS A-F.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

So it's interchangeable?! No difference so network would be available theoretical at flip of a switch?

So it's interchangeable?! No difference so network would be available theoretical at flip of a switch?

Band 25 includes band 2. The reverse, however, is not necessarily true.

AJ

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been noticing the past few months that speeds on Sprint's primary LTE band (25, or PCS1900) have been steadily decreasing in many markets. This is likely due to capacity issues on the G block 5x5 carrier of PCS spectrum uses for LTE. I realize that many markets are not complete with NV deployment which could be part of the reason for poor results, but even with a full 5x5 deployment nationwide I feel that with increasing data usage by subs will eat up capacity faster than we may fully realize.

Does Sprint have the ability to add another LTE carrier nationwide that is compatible with single band devices? I know they will most likely do this in Chicago where they purchased US Cellular spectrum, but I'm not aware what will happen outside that area. Since it will be at least another year or so until most subs are on triband devices, is Sprint planning/able to add a second carrier or any kind of additional capacity to PCS LTE to relieve capacity issues?

• Like 1

I've been noticing the past few months that speeds on Sprint's primary LTE band (25, or PCS1900) have been steadily decreasing in many markets. This is likely due to capacity issues on the G block 5x5 carrier of PCS spectrum uses for LTE. I realize that many markets are not complete with NV deployment which could be part of the reason for poor results, but even with a full 5x5 deployment nationwide I feel that with increasing data usage by subs will eat up capacity faster than we may fully realize.

Does Sprint have the ability to add another LTE carrier nationwide that is compatible with single band devices? I know they will most likely do this in Chicago where they purchased US Cellular spectrum, but I'm not aware what will happen outside that area. Since it will be at least another year or so until most subs are on triband devices, is Sprint planning/able to add a second carrier or any kind of additional capacity to PCS LTE to relieve capacity issues?

Sprint owns enough PCS spectrum in most markets to do so if it cannibalizes some EVDO/1x carriers. 

Sprint owns enough PCS spectrum in most markets to do so if it cannibalizes some EVDO/1x carriers. 

I would rather see Sprint cannibalize a 1x carrier especially if they can get 1x800 depolyed everywhere asap, EVDO is still a fallback for many people when they go indoors so I would hope they preserve it to its fullest.

We are going to have to see significant 1xA handset penetration before the can start refarming 1xrtt carriers, likewise we will need to see significant LTE handset penetration before refarming of 1xEV-DO carriers can happen. Incidentally the 1xA handsets are also the LTE handsets at this point. My guess is that we will see deployments in unused or underutilized spectrum this year and then refarming will start next year. VOLTE opens a whole other bag of worms. Part of the reason it isn't rolling out en mass is because it is not as spectraly efficient as 1xrtt, not as power efficient as 1xrtt, and carries a significant coverage deficit. I'm sure one it is fixed we will see almost everything save for the  800MHz 1xA channel, one PCS 1xA, and two PCS 1xEV-Do channels refarmed.

We are going to have to see significant 1xA handset penetration before the can start refarming 1xrtt carriers, likewise we will need to see significant LTE handset penetration before refarming of 1xEV-DO carriers can happen.

For Sprint branded postpaid, the LTE handset penetration is already significant.  I seem to recall a stat of 40 percent, and that was from a number of months ago.  Remember, we are almost two years into LTE handset availability.  I would bet that penetration is over 50 percent by now.  So, that would alleviate considerable pressure on EV-DO in well deployed LTE markets.

Additionally, voice traffic is not likely at the levels it was years ago when Sprint determined how many CDMA1X carriers to deploy on a site by site basis.  Throw in the new CDMA1X 800 carrier, and Sprint probably has excess voice capacity.

AJ

• Like 1

For Sprint branded postpaid, the LTE handset penetration is already significant. I seem to recall a stat of 40 percent, and that was from a number of months ago. Remember, we are almost two years into LTE handset availability. I would bet that penetration is over 50 percent by now. So, that would alleviate considerable pressure on EV-DO in well deployed LTE markets.

Additionally, voice traffic is not likely at the levels it was years ago when Sprint determined how many CDMA1X carriers to deploy on a site by site basis. Throw in the new CDMA1X 800 carrier, and Sprint probably has excess voice capacity.

AJ

What was the Verizon LTE handset penetration rate 2 years in to their LTE deployment?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...

Outside of the Chicago and Shentel markets has there been any other Sprint non G-block PCS LTE carriers found yet?

I haven't heard/seen any, yet.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro