Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

I think Verizon is seeing some customer losses with T-Mobile and Sprint paying ETFs now, so they're probably offering these deals to lock customers into contracts so they stick around.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Thats another possibility.

why will Sprint only be getting the 16GB and not the Larger internal memory models? Or will the Larger ones come later?

We don't know. It would have been nice to see larger internal memory, but they have reasons why.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

We don't know. It would have been nice to see larger internal memory, but they have reasons why.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm due for a upgrade and like the HTC m8, but it seems to already have RF problems and coming from a current EVO user this concerns me, i like everything else about the m8, but probably will pass on it, but on the other hand the s5 has such a low amount of internal memory that I know is very expandable with a sd card but still some apps want transfer to the sd card.

why will Sprint only be getting the 16GB and not the Larger internal memory models? Or will the Larger ones come later?

Carriers stopped carrying the different memory storages for phones (not named iPhone) just because the sales for the higher capacity Android phones (ex: 32 GB GS3 or whatever) didn't sell well or not enough demand because they already have a microSD card slot.  Most folks opt to get the just the basic 16 GB model and pop in a huge microSD card slot to get their mass storage fix instead of paying an extra $100 to get 16 GB more of internal memory.  Even a 64 GB microSD card slot is way cheaper than paying an extra $100.  This way it helps the carriers reduce the number of skus and inventory that most folks aren't going to order anyways.

With the HTC One and LG G2 last year where there was no microSD card slot, all the US carriers opted to sell just the 32 GB model since they knew folks were going to complain since there was no way to add more storage and why the carriers wouldn't at least sell the higher storage model.

• Like 2

So i got told by a source that the S5 at target with be $99 with almost any trade in. They didnt specify which phones are excluded, but am told they think it will be the trade in of any working smartphone gets a minimum of $100 trade in.

A lot of users still have their s3 and the s5 is around their upgrade time.

That being said the s3 prolly left a bad taste in their mouth with signal issues and charging port issues. Touchy power buttons and crappy battery life come to me right off the top of my head as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if people are holding off to see how it does first.

A lot of users still have their s3 and the s5 is around their upgrade time.

That being said the s3 prolly left a bad taste in their mouth with signal issues and charging port issues. Touchy power buttons and crappy battery life come to me right off the top of my head as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if people are holding off to see how it does first.

honestly the S3 was probably my second favorite phone to date. The mods available were fun to mess with.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I feel like the hype for this phone is very low compared to the Htc M8.  Why, I wonder?  Maybe people are getting sick of Samsung now.

Well According to the target Mobile Employee here, he said the district boss, said they had no preorders. So I am guessing they were expecting something different than what is coming out

Well According to the target Mobile Employee here, he said the district boss, said they had no preorders. So I am guessing they were expecting something different than what is coming out

I know that the devs over @ XDA do not like Samsung anymore because of the Knox security.  I know its a small amount of people but the demand/publicity this phone is getting is little to none.  Even this thread is one of the slowest ones here in regard to new phone releases.

I know that the devs over @ XDA do not like Samsung anymore because of the Knox security.  I know its a small amount of people but the demand/publicity this phone is getting is little to none.  Even this thread is one of the slowest ones here in regard to new phone releases.

Yeah But Knox isn't exactly the worst thing. I am sure it is a pain for developers, but it is great I am sure for businesses and such. I personally Think I am skipping the s5, might be the first galaxy series phones Ive missed. Just doesn't seem like it will be appealing to me.

Yeah But Knox isn't exactly the worst thing. I am sure it is a pain for developers, but it is great I am sure for businesses and such. I personally Think I am skipping the s5, might be the first galaxy series phones Ive missed. Just doesn't seem like it will be appealing to me.

Maybe it's the bandaid backplate.  LOL!  But honestly, I'm somewhat interested in it but it's mostly to see how well it fairs in the RF world.  I'm dying to get a device that's got a large battery, SD slot, and RF performance similar to the N5. 

EDIT: You're right about the bump in specs.  Nothing major since the transition from S2 -> S3, really.

Maybe it's the bandaid backplate.  LOL!  But honestly, I'm somewhat interested in it but it's mostly to see how well it fairs in the RF world.  I'm dying to get a device that's got a large battery, SD slot, and RF performance similar to the N5. 

EDIT: You're right about the bump in specs.  Nothing major since the transition from S2 -> S3, really.

yeah, I loved my s2, and gs captivate. Both were indestructible for me. Even the Infuse wasn't too bad. The s3 was pretty bad, first cracked phone, the s4, Well I eas plagued with 9 refurbished ones from advanced exchange through the store, the Nexus 5 has been great, and the G2 I have as well, just the RF is pretty bad compared to the s4, and Nexus. Even my Tab 3 performs better. The s5 would only be appealing if it were an RF powerhouse 

• Like 1

honestly the S3 was probably my second favorite phone to date. The mods available were fun to mess with.

Sent from my LG-LS980

After coming from USCC where the phone was notorious for a terrible network experience and then seeing a steady stream come in for repair I stopped recommending them and moved on to better devices.

After coming from USCC where the phone was notorious for a terrible network experience and then seeing a steady stream come in for repair I stopped recommending them and moved on to better devices.

I have two of them (s3) and they are flawless over the last 18 months.  I am careful with mine, but my wife can destroy everything and anything.    I have seen her drop it several times and I am sure she dropped it many more times that I did not see. So far, they are still perfect.   I hesitate to upgrade anything, but I would like to play with LTE on 800. I do have a Samsung Smart TV that is just the opposite and I would NEVER buy another one or recommend anybody go near one. I also have a Samsung DVD player that constantly needs to be re-booted. Yet the Samsung S-3 has been great.

I have two of them (s3) and they are flawless over the last 18 months. I am careful with mine, but my wife can destroy everything and anything. I have seen her drop it several times and I am sure she dropped it many more times that I did not see. So far, they are still perfect. I hesitate to upgrade anything, but I would like to play with LTE on 800. I do have a Samsung Smart TV that is just the opposite and I would NEVER buy another one or recommend anybody go near one. I also have a Samsung DVD player that constantly needs to be re-booted. Yet the Samsung S-3 has been great.

Consider yourself lucky then. I see them constantly for the same issues over and over again.

I have a samsung TV and it's been flawless. I'd buy another one no questions asked.

Never had any problems with my S3 that's why I'm going with the S5. The camera on the S3 now is awful. Maybe all the drops, dirt, and water damage caused ruined it.

The option to add a bigger battery is a major major plus. On the standard battery on my S3, I would have to heavy charge my phone 2-3 times a day. Now I gotta charge it just once for like 45 mins and I don't gotta worry about it anymore.

When it comes to RF performance the S5 won't disappoint. Samsung has a good reputation in this area at least :lol:

My biggest complaint for my s3 is the deteriorating batt life. So the s5 looks like it'll fair better. Anyone see the washing machine test someone didn't the s5. Worked like a charm after 50 minutes in the washer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Samsung could've just made 32GB as standard storage for the S5 like they did with the Note 3.

Yes, this is so puzzling to me why they made it only 16GB with over 9GB taken by the ROM.  When you're the manufacturer of all the storage, I'd have to think you'd get a fair price :)  

I'm going to give it a week or two and see if anything surfaces about the 32GB version.  I have the 16GB S4 with a 64GB SD card and the 16GB internal storage is a PITA since you only get 9GB usable.  Thumbnails from all my photos on my 64GB card take up close to 3GB in cache alone! Now with the new restrictions on SD card usage in 4.4.2 by third party apps, its just a hassle to have to move stuff around. 

The other thing I wish was standard, beside the 32GB ROM, would be the wireless charging backcover......Samsung is quickly getting $30 out of me for that piece.  With that USB door, it'll be a lot nicer to just toss it on the charging pad at the office instead of futzing with that. Believe me, I'd rather have the waterproofness, just saying wireless charging is a good way around this issue.  

• Like 1

I'm due for a upgrade and like the HTC m8, but it seems to already have RF problems and coming from a current EVO user this concerns me, i like everything else about the m8, but probably will pass on it, but on the other hand the s5 has such a low amount of internal memory that I know is very expandable with a sd card but still some apps want transfer to the sd card.

Coming from the EVO LTE I don't think you will be disappointed in either phones rf performance.