Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

After the phone was announced this thread has gone ZZZ.

Many were disappointed by the S5. But I'll be picking one up :D

As much as i hate coming to Samsungs defense, it may just be that most people upgraded to the S4 last year. Its really hard to sell 50 million plus copies year over year.

The more comparisons I read about the m8 and the s5 the more I'm leaning towards the s5. Hopefully the radio will be a beast. Aside from materials and build quality seems like the s5 beats out the m8 in most categories. Or at least tie. Let's see what real world results will be.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I look at it like most people do who have 2 yr contracts. I had the s3 as soon as it came out now my upgrade is today and looking at the s3 to s5 the upgrade is awesome. I hate people who expect some crazy phone to come out every year! S3 has 8mp camera, 720 p screen and dual core. S5 has 16mp isocell camera, 1080p camera beefed up battery and water resistant! Seems like a good upgrade for anyone who still does 2 yr contracts aka most of america.

I now bought the N5 outright because I cracked my screen but still looking at it from that prospective makes it seem like a good upgrade

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The more comparisons I read about the m8 and the s5 the more I'm leaning towards the s5. Hopefully the radio will be a beast. Aside from materials and build quality seems like the s5 beats out the m8 in most categories. Or at least tie. Let's see what real world results will be.

I think the M8 also has it beat on the audio side with it's boomsound speakers. The front facing cam is not 5 megapixels for the ones that actually use or care about the front facing camera, and the battery life on the M8 is supposed to be pretty awesome. With it being in almost phablet territory. 

I think the M8 also has it beat on the audio side with it's boomsound speakers. The front facing cam is not 5 megapixels for the ones that actually use or care about the front facing camera, and the battery life on the M8 is supposed to be pretty awesome. With it being in almost phablet territory.

I forgot about the audio. But battery life seems about equal. Well see.

The audio of the HTC M8 is pretty nice for showing off media or playing music at the beach/camp site/lake if you don't have a portable music sound dock.

I'm leaning towards the S5, I already pre ordered it but I can always cancel it and go with the M8. After playing with the S5 numerous times at Best Buy it's a huge improvement over the S3.

The only downside to the S5 is that availability of the 32GB/64GB model. On my 16 GB S3, I have not run out of space. I have a 64 GB mico sd card that saves all my videos, music, and photos. I don't download too many games on my phone because of screen size and how fast games drained my battery. I leave games for my ipad mini.

I can't wait to receive my S5. The camera is a real winner!

• Like 1

As much as i hate coming to Samsungs defense, it may just be that most people upgraded to the S4 last year. Its really hard to sell 50 million plus copies year over year.

have all the people who still have to s3 about ready for an upgrade, i am one of them

I got my s3 on launch day (June 22nd 12, I think) I didn't realize I was eligible for upgrade already. I thought I'd have to wait til June. So it's 22 months not 24? Woo-hoo can't wait.

I am thinking about getting the s5 but have never owned a samsung phone before, I have only played with friends/family's galaxies. Are there ROMs that make touchwiz more streamlined and better looking? I dont want to go AOSP and lose features but I dislike the look of touchwiz. 

I am thinking about getting the s5 but have never owned a samsung phone before, I have only played with friends/family's galaxies. Are there ROMs that make touchwiz more streamlined and better looking? I dont want to go AOSP and lose features but I dislike the look of touchwiz.

After the 1st day I installed nova launcher and I haven't used TouchWiz since.

After the 1st day I installed nova launcher and I haven't used TouchWiz since.

Changing launchers wont help with the pull down menu and that weird green on the toggles. I am not sure if it helps with the lag either. 

I got my s3 on launch day (June 22nd 12, I think) I didn't realize I was eligible for upgrade already. I thought I'd have to wait til June. So it's 22 months not 24? Woo-hoo can't wait. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It's 20 months. I got my S3 in July 2012 and I've been eligible since March. Other family members and friends have also been able to upgrade after 20 months

• Like 1

It's 20 months. I got my S3 in July 2012 and I've been eligible since March. Other family members and friends have also been able to upgrade after 20 months

20 month upgrades have been the standard at sprint for a few years.

• Like 1

Changing launchers wont help with the pull down menu and that weird green on the toggles. I am not sure if it helps with the lag either. 

The folks at http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5 are indicating that TouchWiz has undergone some interface improvements, and that the TouchWiz customary lag is gone.  It remains to be seen, of course, but it looks like some Best Buy and ATT stores have demonstration models. 

• Like 2

Darn it Samsung. PhoneArena is reporting a phone from samsung with better specs here. What are the chances that this is actually being created and what do you think the timeframe would be? Is it even worth getting the gs5 now if this is coming out in a couple months? 

The folks at http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5 are indicating that TouchWiz has undergone some interface improvements, and that the TouchWiz customary lag is gone.  It remains to be seen, of course, but it looks like some Best Buy and ATT stores have demonstration models. 

I played around with the S5 for about 15-20 minutes at an at&t store by me and touchwiz was very snappy. I waited for my pre-order until I had a hands on. I also played around with the M8 at verizon for the second time and I pre-ordered the S5 that night. The M8 is nice but the S5 has everything I am looking for. I would rather have a 32GB internal one but I will be fine with the 16GB one with the SD card abilities. I already have a 64GB card just waiting  ;) .

Does the s5 report gci to signal check?

sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

Darn it Samsung. PhoneArena is reporting a phone from samsung with better specs here. What are the chances that this is actually being created and what do you think the timeframe would be? Is it even worth getting the gs5 now if this is coming out in a couple months?

That is why I am waiting till the end of May to pick up a gs5. I am scared they will announce a galaxy s5 prime or galaxy f. By then I might want to wait for the next galaxy note or nexus. That is if I can hold off my interest in 800 lte when May rolls around.

Does the s5 report gci to signal check?sent by tapatalk from my LS-980 (G2)

I seen gci and tac when I tried scp with stock rooted nae on my galaxy s4. It is to bad that it was way to unstable to run all the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/640mkyvyuvimk1p/Screenshot_2014-04-04-08-58-55.png

• Like 1

I think that's more so for joining a Framily plan than buying the GS5.

No its separate, yes you get a free one per account for framily, but this sale will give anyone getting a GS5 on easy pay, 2 year or outright a free tab and there are no limits. Buy 4 GS5 and get 4 of the tabs free( you obviously have to have room for all the tabs on the account)

I was really surprised to see Verizon pushing the GS5 with a 2 for 199 deal already.

I wonder if Sprint will also move towards that pricing?

I also wonder if it means demand has been outrageously low? Youd never see an iphone launch with 2 for 1 deals.

I was really surprised to see Verizon pushing the GS5 with a 2 for 199 deal already.

I wonder if Sprint will also move towards that pricing?

I also wonder if it means demand has been outrageously low? Youd never see an iphone launch with 2 for 1 deals.

I think Verizon is seeing some customer losses with T-Mobile and Sprint paying ETFs now, so they're probably offering these deals to lock customers into contracts so they stick around.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1