Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

My understanding is this may be pushed back to Q2 due to issues intergrating easy pay into best buy and radio shacks systems.

I have heard similar rumblings from our Sprint rep.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That does not make any sense.  You are currently paying $200 upfront plus a service plan inflated by $20 in subsidy every month.  You can afford that, not to mention, you can afford to travel abroad.  But you cannot afford to make a downpayment and a monthly payment on Easy Pay?  Huh?  It is basically the same thing as the contract subsidy system.

AJ

It does make sense maybe not in your case, but for many of us this Framily thing will cost us a ton more money and uncertainty/hassle on future bills. Currently with discount and getting a phone subsidy we are at $42.50/line unlimited data.

Even within a couple weeks of the S3's launch, Amazon Wireless had the S3 discounted contract renewal for $149. Also, as part of Sprint contracts there is always "negotiation" with Account Services getting an extra $50-$100/liner service credit thrown in, activation fee is always waved etc, things that under Framily I bet are very unlikely?

I will post in the Framily thread too, but everyone gets excited about 7 lines and (still paying unsubsidized) $25/line. No one seems to talk about Framily "decay", ie 3 of your Framily get sick of Sprint and leave Sprint with no notice to you (which they can since no contract or real association to your part of the Framily) until you see your bill jump to $40/month. After this initial blitz, I bet its going to be pretty hard to replace them with new to Sprint replacement members.

Edited by chgoguy80
  • Like 1

What the heck is a S5 prime?

lol i dont know but im gonna start finding some reference of it and post the link before I start believing that i made it up

edited to add links:

http://bgr.com/2014/02/21/galaxy-s5-prime-specs-leak/

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/21/galaxy-s5-variants-to-be-called-galaxy-s5-and-galaxy-s5-prime/

mentioned here also

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-release-date-approaches-6-most-conflicting-specs-rumors-upcoming-device-1557414

there was also something about a case listing on amazon mentioning both versions of the s5 (and "prime")

it very well could have been hot air but in my world i like to think they will drop a beefed up s5 "prime" right around my birthday.

THOUGHTS?

Edited by dannible

The beauty in all of this, for me, is that I have an S3 and I actually don't feel like I have to upgrade. I'm days away from being eligible and I feel like I could hold onto my phone for another few months without the itch to upgrade. I couldn't say that two years ago when I had the OG Evo 4g. I give Samsung a lot of credit for that. 

I think an upgrade to the S5 depends on your situation. if you have an S3, the bump in specs and LTE is likely enough. Similar to the people who upgraded to the S4 from the S3. 

if you have an S4 then it's likely not enough. Although, I don't understand the triband S4. It seems like they're taking sales from the S5.

I can probably wait for the announcement from HTC and maybe even Apple to decide. I really wish Amazon would just release the Instant Video app to Android phones already..... it's the only thing that tempts me to Apple. (Random, I know)

What the heck is a S5 prime?

It's the S5 model Asus is building...

No, the Galaxy S5 Prime gets you free shipping and unlimited video streaming.  But it costs you an extra $79 per year.

AJ

• Like 4

I'm failing to see the difference between a subsidized device with a two year contract, and a device financed for two years with a reduced monthly payment. Except when financing the device, you have more options.

I will never understand you folks who think you earned a reward or perk to upgrade at the end of your contract. It is not a reward or perk. It's something they offer to everyone, even new customers. It's just the privilege to get locked down for two more years. You aren't getting something for nothing. You are still paying full price for your device. The financing was already in your monthly payment all along in the form of subsidy.

This is all just a change of terminology and the abolition of contracts. But there is still a de facto contract by virtue of an unpaid balance on your device that you would need to pay to leave. But that's more fair than an ETF. Because an ETF is still in place, even long after some devices would have been paid for. And you can pay off only your device balance early. Sometimes ETF's are far more than the value of the device.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

It's going to be hard to change the thinking about subsidized handsets with the majority of the public. It's been hard-wired in them that that is how it is and that's how it should be. Anything else is obviously a trick by carriers to get more money from us, right? But when you sit down and actually do the math on it, it's break even or better for most people. If you didn't upgrade at the end of the two year point in the past, you were essentially giving Sprint free money and getting nothing in return for it. A lot of people are going to be on the additional $20/mo w/ annual upgrade which gives you a new device (if you want) each and every year. I have the potential to save upwards of $40/mo even with that additional $20 on my line. Sounds like a deal to me. 

• Like 1

I will never understand you folks who think you earned a reward or perk to upgrade at the end of your contract. It is not a reward or perk. It's something they offer to everyone, even new customers. It's just the privilege to get locked down for two more years. You aren't getting something for nothing. You are still paying full price for your device. The financing was already in your monthly payment all along in the form of subsidy.

I would recommend posting this in the Framily thread, too, where a number of people are up in arms over the non contract, non subsidy paradigm shift.  I think their issue is that they are looking at overall cost, not fully breaking down the accounting into separate service and device costs.  Their lower overall cost, if true, tends not to come from subsidized upgrades but from the many double super secret perks and discounts -- such as SERO, retention plans, and corporate discounts -- that Sprint has doled out and/or people have finagled from Sprint over the years.  Sprint needs to move to a simpler plan and billing structure; Framily is a step in that direction.  If people lose some of their double super secret perks and discounts, good.  It is about time, and I will not shed a tear -- even though my own corporate discount will be affected.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm failing to see the difference between a subsidized device with a two year contract, and a device financed for two years with a reduced monthly payment. Except when financing the device, you have more options.

This is all just a change of terminology and the abolition of contracts. But there is still a de facto contract by virtue of an unpaid balance on your device that you would need yo pay to leave. But that's more fair than an ETF. Because an ETF is still in place, even long after some devices would have been paid for. And you can pay off only your device balance early. Sometimes ETF's are far more than the value of the device.

If I could just chime in really quick to add to what you're saying. People don't understand because the pricing has never been transparent, and unfortunately people don't like to have to think about things.  If you tell someone that they have really been paying their phone off for two years, then the allure of a two year contract is not that enticing, when you consider that two year contracts are marketed as saving money on the phone and plans.

The fact that people here still post about "earning" an upgrade just goes to show how well these companies have used the rewards system to keep customers coming back. This is the reason why people think they have "earned" their upgrade because they have done their two years, and people want to get something for all that time.

-Luis

• Like 1

No, the Galaxy S5 Prime gets you free shipping and unlimited video streaming.  But it costs you an extra $79 per year.

AJ

I had to read that twice to get it.   :lol:

Robert

. . .

This is all just a change of terminology and the abolition of contracts. But there is still a de facto contract by virtue of an unpaid balance on your device that you would need yo pay to leave. But that's more fair than an ETF. Because an ETF is still in place, even long after some devices would have been paid for. And you can pay off only your device balance early. Sometimes ETF's are far more than the value of the device.

I realize that this may be the wrong place to post this, but the Framily thread is rather crazy . . .

Since it was brought up here: The "gotcha" is the supposed "reduced monthly payment":  I have 5 lines of "Everything Data", and don't plan to go out and solicit distant family or vague acquaintances to join my plan and increase my count.  As far as I can figure out, the equivalent unsubsidized 5-member Framily plan would cost me about $25 more per month than what  I now pay including subsidies. Or, to restate more clearly, I would pay $5.00 more per line per month, and I would lose the ~$20 per month subsidy. Therefore, I would actually end up paying as much as $125 more per month should I choose to continue to purchase modern phones [which is virtually necessary in the fast-changing Sprint world of today].  Is my understanding of Framily wrong?  If it is, please, someone, help me understand it better.

So my point is that I will be very unenthusiastic about ponying up $1,500 per year more to receive essentially the same services and devices that I receive on my current plan.  I have done the arithmetic, and it just doesn't balance.

This is not a rant.  It is only in this thread because others introduced the subject here, and because the Framily thread has become almost indecipherable.  If deemed inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete here and repost elsewhere.

• Like 3

I realize that this may be the wrong place to post this, but the Framily thread is rather crazy . . .

Since it was brought up here: The "gotcha" is the supposed "reduced monthly payment":  I have 5 lines of "Everything Data", and don't plan to go out and solicit distant family or vague acquaintances to join my plan and increase my count.  As far as I can figure out, the equivalent unsubsidized 5-member Framily plan would cost me about $25 more per month than what  I now pay including subsidies. Or, to restate more clearly, I would pay $5.00 more per line per month, and I would lose the ~$20 per month subsidy. Therefore, I would actually end up paying as much as $125 more per month should I choose to continue to purchase modern phones [which is virtually necessary in the fast-changing Sprint world of today].  Is my understanding of Framily wrong?  If it is, please, someone, help me understand it better.

So my point is that I will be very unenthusiastic about ponying up $1,500 per year more to receive essentially the same services and devices that I receive on my current plan.  I have done the arithmetic, and it just doesn't balance.

This is not a rant.  It is only in this thread because others introduced the subject here, and because the Framily thread has become almost indecipherable.  If deemed inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete here and repost elsewhere.

I get your point.  But aren't you comparing plans now, and not the subsidized versus financing models?  I wasn't addressing people who complain about Framily, more so those who are complaining about losing their upgrades.  My point is people shouldn't care merely about the difference of a two year contract subsidy versus financing and owning your device.  Because they never earned an upgrade, and aren't losing an upgrade.

If Framily doesn't meet people's needs, they won't use it.  But it's currently the way to get around paying a monthly subsidy fee on top of paying for your device too.  Sprint is probably going to have to come up with more plans for folks coming off contract where Framily isn't a good option for them.  Because they may move to another provider.  But that's another subject.

And now we are definitely getting off topic.  Me included.   :ot:

Robert

Are you factoring in the $20 "unlimited" data buy up on any or all of those five lines?  If so, that is basically your cost increase.  The price of "unlimited" data is going up.  People are using more and more "unlimited" data, so Sprint has to pour more and more CAPEX into spectrum, channel cards, and backhaul.

This discussion may get moved to a more appropriate location -- even if it is that black sheep of a Framily thread.  But we can continue the dialogue here for now.

AJ

I get your point.  But aren't you comparing plans now, and not the subsidized versus financing models?  I wasn't addressing people who complain about Framily, more so those who are complaining about losing their upgrades.  My point is people shouldn't care merely about the difference of a two year contract subsidy versus financing and owning your device.  Because they never earned an upgrade, and aren't losing an upgrade.

If Framily doesn't meet people's needs, they won't use it.  But it's currently the way to get around paying a monthly subsidy fee on top of paying for your device too.  Sprint is probably going to have to come up with more plans for folks coming off contract where Framily isn't a good option for them.  Because they may move to another provider.  But that's another subject.

And now we are definitely getting off topic.  Me included.   :ot:

Robert

I hope Sprint does offer better plans for those coming off subsidized, multi-subscriber plans.  If the end of subsidized plans is coming on March 14th, time is running out, and panic will ensue.  As you rightly point out, the alternative is likely to be further erosion in the subscriber base.

And we are far, far off topic.  SHAME on you, you naughty moderator!!!  :stop:

• Like 2

Are you factoring in the $20 "unlimited" data buy up on any or all of those five lines?  If so, that is basically your cost increase.  The price of "unlimited" data is going up.  People are using more and more "unlimited" data, so Sprint has to pour more and more CAPEX into spectrum, channel cards, and backhaul.

. . .

AJ

I am factoring in the $20, and regardless of the cause, it is a cost increase -- in my case, $1,200 per year -- if I in fact end up paying it.  And I realize that [self-censored] and [also self-censored] do not provide unlimited data, and are significantly more expensive than Sprint, compared both to my present plan and to Framily.  But [self-censored yet again] is not more expensive, and could offer an alternative to my largely urban/suburban data use, although I choke with loathing at the thought of paying [un-nameable self-proclaimed rock star] actual money.  As a recently-departed [and rather contentious] member from the west pointed out in one of his more rational posts, Sprint is investing huge amounts of capital to create a network with enormous bandwidth and capacity, with the intention of attracting more subscribers.  Over time, this should result both in lower costs per subscriber and in larger profits.  Rather than seeing my already substantial monthly cellular bill go higher, I would like to see my costs actually go down.  Of course, I also expect world peace and unlimited free fried chicken (or in Robert's new situation, unlimited carrot slices).

• Like 2

Aaaaaaanyways... Who here was impressed with the S5?

AJ

• Like 3

I am actually impressed with the S5. They are looking to address all the pain points I had with the S4, and if they can bring some of the software tweaks to the S4, I'd be happier.

This is all just a change of terminology and the abolition of contracts. But there is still a de facto contract by virtue of an unpaid balance on your device that you would need to pay to leave. But that's more fair than an ETF. Because an ETF is still in place, even long after some devices would have been paid for. And you can pay off only your device balance early. Sometimes ETF's are far more than the value of the device.

Here is my issue. I understand that the price that I am paying right now has the phone subsidy built in. With Framily you have a choice of getting a new phone and paying it off or rolling with your old phone. The problem is Framily is not a cost savings over everything data. Right now before taxes I pay about $60 per line with my subsidy baked in. A similar 3 line acct on Framily would cost me $65 per line with unlimited PLUS the phone financing. I don;t come out even until I hit seven phones and I never come out ahead unless i downgrade my data or I elect not to buy a new phone. I'm sure Sprint has a great business case for making this move but it does nothing for the power user.

• Like 1

Right now before taxes I pay about $60 per line with my subsidy baked in. A similar 3 line acct on Framily would cost me $65 per line with unlimited PLUS the phone financing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $20 unlimited buy up includes a new phone each year, you don't add additional financing with that route. It's like a lease on a car, unlimited miles, we get it back after a year of use, but you get a shiny new car and the payment is unchanged. This is a win-win for the power user if you ask me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $20 unlimited buy up includes a new phone each year, you don't add additional financing with that route. It's like a lease on a car, unlimited miles, we get it back after a year of use, but you get a shiny new car and the payment is unchanged. This is a win-win for the power user if you ask me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I was under the impression that you still had to finance your phone, they just allowed you to re up every year. Can anybody else comment on this?