Google Location Data Services

matt7701

In the location settings menu for my phone it says "enable wifi and mobile network location".  Then it states anonymous location data will be stored by Google.  Does this mean they will collect the data and drain the battery?  Do any of you guys enable this feature and had any experiences with it and battery?

(Also this is required for the geolocation for signal-check pro)

Location services will always use a food fraction of battery but I always leave mine on and can still make it through the day. The only times I have issues with battery is when maps or navigation has trouble closing.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

It seems that a lot of apps require that it remains on for all of their features to work properly. If you have an issue with battery life, you can always uncheck it and then manually recheck it whenever an app asks that it be enabled. I did this with my 2 1/2 year old Evo that reached a point of only lasting a handful of hours between charges.

It seems that a lot of apps require that it remains on for all of their features to work properly. If you have an issue with battery life, you can always uncheck it and then manually recheck it whenever an app asks that it be enabled. I did this with my 2 1/2 year old Evo that reached a point of only lasting a handful of hours between charges.

Xprivacy spoofs the GPS location on all my apps unless I want it having the real one. I wonder if this saves battery life.

In the location settings menu for my phone it says "enable wifi and mobile network location".  Then it states anonymous location data will be stored by Google.  Does this mean they will collect the data and drain the battery?  Do any of you guys enable this feature and had any experiences with it and battery?

(Also this is required for the geolocation for signal-check pro)

FYI, SignalCheck might not need mobile location services to work properly -- it varies by device. I changed the warning prompt in the latest version to reflect this. If you prefer to keep your location services disabled, try using the app and see if it works properly. The most common problem is you will not see any 1xRTT data at all, or you may see SID/NID/BID values of -1.

My app doesn't actually do anything with the location, but some ROMs block access to the 1X cellular information if mobile location services are disabled.

-Mike

FYI, SignalCheck might not need mobile location services to work properly -- it varies by device. I changed the warning prompt in the latest version to reflect this. If you prefer to keep your location services disabled, try using the app and see if it works properly. The most common problem is you will not see any 1xRTT data at all, or you may see SID/NID/BID values of -1.

My app doesn't actually do anything with the location, but some ROMs block access to the 1X cellular information if mobile location services are disabled.

-Mike

OK, yes the screen only shows -1 values and no BID when using signal check on the Torque.  I will just end up leaving the location data services on and it works great, and as I don't think it is storing and tracking the device which might drain the battery.  Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1