iPhone 5 and 1x800

anthony.spina97

We all know the iPhone 5 is compatible with 1x800 (and the 5S is also), but do we happen to have anybody who happens to have a jailbroken iPhone 5 surfing this site that has also installed/flashed (whatever the terminology is) digiblur's 1x800 prl and has connected to 1x800? If so, what have your experiences been with it? (i.e. can you connect to 1x800 and also to 3G at the same time, 1x800 and B25 LTE,etc)

I hope that whenever the iOS 7 jailbreak is released, I will flash the prl to my 5 and I would like to test 1x800 out, but I would like to see if anyone else has used 1x800 on their 5 before I use it so that I can know what to expect from it.

Thanks!

-Anthony

• Like 2

Is the 5 compatible with 800 SMR? I'm thinking only the 5S & 5C are.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to some 800 action. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

The 5 is most certainly compatible with 800 SMR. It's LTE 800 that the 5 is NOT compatible with. The 5S and 5C are the only iPhones currently that support LTE 800.

• Like 1

Ah. I read so much info here I don't always remember everything!

Yeah, it's hard to keep up sometimes when you're learning the vast amount of information on this site. The humor contributes to the forgetfulness, too.

;)

-Anthony

The humor contributes to the forgetfulness, too.

No, the forgetfulness would be due to the tequila shots you guys keep doing in The Lounge. And I told you not to leave your empty bottles just lying around.

AJ

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

We all know the iPhone 5 is compatible with 1x800 (and the 5S is also), but do we happen to have anybody who happens to have a jailbroken iPhone 5 surfing this site that has also installed/flashed (whatever the terminology is) digiblur's 1x800 prl and has connected to 1x800? If so, what have your experiences been with it? (i.e. can you connect to 1x800 and also to 3G at the same time, 1x800 and B25 LTE,etc)

I hope that whenever the iOS 7 jailbreak is released, I will flash the prl to my 5 and I would like to test 1x800 out, but I would like to see if anyone else has used 1x800 on their 5 before I use it so that I can know what to expect from it.

Thanks!

-Anthony

Have you jailbroken yet and tried it? How did it go? Where is the prl at and i will try it. i have my 5 jailbroken on ios 7.

Have you jailbroken yet and tried it? How did it go? Where is the prl at and i will try it. i have my 5 jailbroken on ios 7.

I have successfully done it.  1x800 works great along with EVDO here in Milwaukee.  I used Digi's premier sponsor prl but there is also a thread with prls for regular sponsors (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3059-800smr-s4gru-sponsors-prls/).  The first couple pages of this thread are also very helpful to read about what is needed before changing PRLs and directions on how to do it.

I have successfully done it. 1x800 works great along with EVDO here in Milwaukee. I used Digi's premier sponsor prl but there is also a thread with prls for regular sponsors (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3059-800smr-s4gru-sponsors-prls/). The first couple pages of this thread are also very helpful to read about what is needed before changing PRLs and directions on how to do it.

Nice nice. What improvements have you seen? Any idea the difference between the standard sponsor prl and the premiere? Also how do I know for sure that I'm connected to 1x800?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice nice. What improvements have you seen? Any idea the difference between the standard sponsor prl and the premiere? Also how do I know for sure that I'm connected to 1x800?

To know for sure if you are connected to 1x800 on the iPhone, you have to install "Signal 2" from Cydia. Then you have to look and see if "Band Class" says "10". Then, you know you are connected.

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and have had mixed results with it. I connect to 1x800 fine, and can use LTE and 3G when using the prl that has SMR set at the same priority as PCS. Occasionally my phone will stay connected to only SMR and not latch on to PCS, but digiblur explained to me why that is happening.

I said:

And it seems to act the exact way that I thought it would on the iPhone: it only connects to 1x800 and doesn't connect to 3G or PCS LTE.

-Anthony

Then digi replied with:

No, that's due to that testing SID. Your phone is scanning for EVDO on the wrong channels. 

Which explains to me and makes sense as to why it was acting that way. 

Overall, my signal is better. I roam a lot less, and my voice signal strength is a lot stronger. When I make phone calls to people on other carriers, all is fine, but sometimes when I talk to people who are on Sprint, the call drops from my end after a minute or two. I have heard of some people on here that have experienced calls dropping more frequently on 1x800 vs. PCS when 800 is still in testing in their market, which I can understand. It only happens occasionally for me and isn't too big of a deal.

-Anthony

To know for sure if you are connected to 1x800 on the iPhone, you have to install "Signal 2" from Cydia. Then you have to look and see if "Band Class" says "10". Then, you know you are connected.

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and have had mixed results with it. I connect to 1x800 fine, and can use LTE and 3G when using the prl that has SMR set at the same priority as PCS. Occasionally my phone will stay connected to only SMR and not latch on to PCS, but digiblur explained to me why that is happening.

I said:

Then digi replied with:

Which explains to me and makes sense as to why it was acting that way.

Overall, my signal is better. I roam a lot less, and my voice signal strength is a lot stronger. When I make phone calls to people on other carriers, all is fine, but sometimes when I talk to people who are on Sprint, the call drops from my end after a minute or two. I have heard of some people on here that have experienced calls dropping more frequently on 1x800 vs. PCS when 800 is still in testing in their market, which I can understand. It only happens occasionally for me and isn't too big of a deal.

-Anthony

Awesome! Thanks a ton. I'm all set up then now.

I've looked but probably not hard enough. Does the 5s get hd voice?

It's supposed to be compatible with it, as was the iPhone 5, but at this point I'm not entirely sure if they will be able to use HD voice on Sprint's network.

-Anthony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bump. Related post...

Is Sprint pushing new PRL's to iphones in areas where CDMA 800 has been activated?

Not that we know of. My 5S & 5 are both on 51100 which prioritizes PCS over SMR voice.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm in LA, and I get voice deep inside of buildings on my 5 where I had no service just a month or two ago. It's pretty reliable, calls stay connected. I'm guessing that's SMR working, otherwise outside its likely PCS...which is pretty good in my area anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The issue is really for us folks in rural areas. Literally live on the FRINGE of PCS coverage, so iPhones will try to latch onto that instead of the 800mhz (which presumably) would have stronger signal.

The issue is really for us folks in rural areas. Literally live on the FRINGE of PCS coverage, so iPhones will try to latch onto that instead of the 800mhz (which presumably) would have stronger signal.

I see you're a sponsor. Have you tried jailbreaking and loading a custom prl? It works on the 5 but not the 5s/c.

We are hoping they push out an update for iPhones when 800 becomes available everywhere . Priority should be set as 800 and then PCS, especially for rural areas.

Fortunately when b26 makes it to your area, you could also just go on a FaceTime audio call. Probably much more clear anyways. I know that is what I will do in my apartment which is on the fringe between 2 towers and a black hole for service. 

I'm in LA, and I get voice deep inside of buildings on my 5 where I had no service just a month or two ago. It's pretty reliable, calls stay connected. I'm guessing that's SMR working, otherwise outside its likely PCS...which is pretty good in my area anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you get a chance, can you enter the debug screen and check? 

From the dialer, type *3001#12345#* "call" and check the 1x section. 

When you get a chance, can you enter the debug screen and check? 

From the dialer, type *3001#12345#* "call" and check the 1x section. 

I'll give it a try and post a screen shot.  Is there any specific info that will tell me if I'm on SMR or PCS?

I'll give it a try and post a screen shot. Is there any specific info that will tell me if I'm on SMR or PCS?

In the 1x engineering screen, look for band class. If the band class is not listed as PCS, then make sure it says [10] in the brackets to the right. It slides left to right.

Posted Image

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

When you get a chance, can you enter the debug screen and check? From the dialer, type *3001#12345#* "call" and check the 1x section.
Don't forget: to access the 1x screen on *3001#12345#* you can't be on LTE. You need to be on 3G/1x or have LTE disabled in the settings.

We are hoping they push out an update for iPhones when 800 becomes available everywhere . Priority should be set as 800 and then PCS, especially for rural areas.Fortunately when b26 makes it to your area, you could also just go on a FaceTime audio call. Probably much more clear anyways. I know that is what I will do in my apartment which is on the fringe between 2 towers and a black hole for service.
No prl from sprint should ever give bc10 top priority. They don't want that carrier over loaded. It should at the very least give equal priority like most androids. Instead, the iphone needs zero pcs signal before scanning for 1x800. The same should go for b25 LTE. Phones shouldn't be allowed to camp on these bands. They're for extended coverage/extra capacity as determined by the network. And as far as FaceTime audio goes: it's awesome. It's full hd, and sounds just like a cellular hd voice call. Call up a friend with it for a sneak peak of hd voice.
  • Like 1

Don't forget: to access the 1x screen on *3001#12345#* you can't be on LTE. You need to be on 3G/1x or have LTE disabled in the settings.

No prl from sprint should ever give bc10 top priority. They don't want that carrier over loaded. It should at the very least give equal priority like most androids. Instead, the iphone needs zero pcs signal before scanning for 1x800. The same should go for b25 LTE. Phones shouldn't be allowed to camp on these bands. They're for extended coverage/extra capacity as determined by the network. And as far as FaceTime audio goes: it's awesome. It's full hd, and sounds just like a cellular hd voice call. Call up a friend with it for a sneak peak of hd voice.

I use FaceTime audio calls all the time. Love it, and actually prefer it over voice calls because it will stay connoted in my apartment. If not prioritizing 1x800, then at least allowing it to be 1-2 bars when it switches over to 1x800 from PCS. I have 0-2 bars in my apartment most time and even with 2, I drop phone calls left and right. (well this was before my airave lol)

We are hoping they push out an update for iPhones when 800 becomes available everywhere . Priority should be set as 800 and then PCS, especially for rural areas.

That is not how PRLs work.  Priorities are set consistently across SIDs, and Sprint has about 50 SIDs, each one covering urban and rural areas.  It is not possible to have the PRL favor PCS in the city and SMR in the country.

AJ