WSJ: Sprint looking at T-Mobile purchase

LuisOlachea

What if this is really SoftBank pushing this? That has easily got lost in this discussion.

I think they are playing a big role in this.  They have stated in the past to compete with the big 2 they need a bigger footprint.  This certantly would help. 

What if this is really SoftBank pushing this? That has easily got lost in this discussion.

I mentioned Masayoshi. I definitely feel like this is his doing and that he is pushing for this. He wants to either squash or merge them, and its easier to combine companies than to fight them while upgrading the network.

I'd much rather Sprint take the $20 billion they could potentially spend on a merger and just put T-Mobile out of business by accelerating the NV plan. Get me all three glorious bands of LTE (Spark? Still feels odd saying that) and blanket the country.

People will see a difference between VZW and AT&T. And they won't be switching to T-Mobile for the off-chance they travel out of the country and can roam on a paltry amount of free 3G/LTE.

Also, maybe get some better commercials.

I think they are playing a big role in this.  They have stated in the past to compete with the big 2 they need a bigger footprint.  This certantly would help. 

I don't think merging with T-mobile really "increases their footprint", just doubles up on the footprint that already exists?!  They need to expand to rural markets and just put a tower on every 4th power line throughout the country with that $20 billionz.

I think a merger between the 2 is almost inevitable.  That is the only way either of them will be able to truly compete with VZW and AT&T.  I think the combination of technologies and frequencies will be a hurdle though.  I think the best possibliity for them to get the merger approved will be if they disband all of the prepaid brands into its own company.... kinda like when the government broke up Ma Bell back in the day.

I mentioned Masayoshi. I definitely feel like this is his doing and that he is pushing for this. He wants to either squash or merge them, and its easier to combine companies than to fight them while upgrading the network.

It is his doing, although Sprint had looked at it and were in pretty deep negotiations before AT&T made their ill fated attempt to absorb T-Mobile.

I just hope the sprint leadership goes away and is replaced by T-Mobile's. Tmobile has better advertising, stores, customer support, better plan to attract customers, speed in major cities, etc. This latest problem with sprint sims has me peeved that they want to lose customers by not providing sims.

Considering they own 80% of Sprint and are on the board, this is definitely at the urge of Softbank. I'm not for it at all. More lost competition.

• Like 1

It most definitely is.

I am definitely not surprised by this news, I think I may have even mention this before but in either case though, I just don't see it happening.

Sprint has some serious add and needs to learn how to successfully complete one task before loving onto the next. I hope this does not go through as I was planning to switch to tmo once my contract comes up. We all know how the Nextel merger went. This will be no different especially given the recent track record of successfully competing projects on time. Regulators please squash this.

• Like 2

I very excited about a possible merger. Tmobile has a ton of useful spectrum while sprint has a bunch of high frequency spectrum

And neither have great coverage.

They'd be better off building coverage instead of buying customers.

• Like 1

Sprint has some serious add and needs to learn how to successfully complete one task before loving onto the next. I hope this does not go through as I was planning to switch to tmo once my contract comes up. We all know how the Nextel merger went. This will be no different especially given the recent track record of successfully competing projects on time. Regulators please squash this.

Nextel could have only suceesfully merged with either AT&T or Verizon. They were the only ones that had the footprint to match Nextel's.

There's no way it'll pass the regulatory folks

I would not be so certain.  There is a world of difference between AT&T-T-Mobile and Sprint-T-Mobile.  One creates an anti competitive behemoth; the other just helps level the playing field.

AJ

• Like 7