Sign in to follow this  
ufergus

I just got back from Canada with my Nexus 5

I just got back from a trip to Canada with my Nexus 5.  After reviewing my options I decided to go the local prepaid sim card route.  I went with Petro-Canada which is offering a $5 micro sim with a minimum of a $15 top up to the account.  I then used $10 of the account balance for an allocation of 100MB of data.  Each additional MB after the 100 is only $0.10 too so there is no penalty for running over.  The only gotcha I ran into, being new to gsm/umts, was the need to program the APN settings.  Petro-Canada doesn't make it entirely clear either.  Well at least it wasn't for me.  They have settings on their website but they are listed under MMS settings.  Anyway, once I got it working the Nexus performed well and I had plenty of data available for my short trip to the north.  The plan did not include any LTE connections but I was able to connect to HSPA+, as indicated by signal check, so my speeds were very good.  When I got back I swapped my Sprint sim back in and everything worked as expected.  So if you find yourself headed north, check out Petro-Canada.  It worked very well for me.

• Like 14

Great info!  I may be in Canada next summer.  Glad to know this.  Thanks!

Robert

So if you find yourself headed north, check out Petro-Canada.  It worked very well for me.

Well, I might be interested if the SIM card comes with a 10 cent per litre fuel discount and a free pine scent car air freshener.

:P

AJ

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By Nrbelex
      The rumor mill has fully geared up, so it seems time for a thread in which the potential HTC-made 2016 Nexus phones can be discussed.

Rumors suggest two phones: a 5" device codenamed Sailfish, and a larger device codenamed Marlin. Both are thought to be produced by HTC. [There's also a report that Google is making its own phone, without an OEM partner--along the lines of a Pixel phone--but that report has been largely discounted.]

Android Police has claimed it knows with 8/10 certainty some specs of the smaller device--Sailfish:
      Manufactured by HTC 5" 1080p display (~440PPI) Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit processor (model unknown) 4GB RAM 2770mAh battery 32GB storage (unknown if multiple models will be available, or even if this is the base storage level) 12MP rear camera, 8MP front Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner USB-C port (bottom) Bottom-firing speaker or speakers (unknown if dual) Top-mounted headphone jack Bluetooth 4.2 Any thoughts on these devices? The last several Nexus devices have been Sprint compatible; is there any reason to think these won't be? Any hints in regulatory filings? How is HTC's radio performance, generally? Will Sprint sell them directly, and even if they do, will it still be preferable to buy directly from Google?
    • By jefbal99
      Only specs I've really seen leaked are 5.7" screen and based on the unannounced "Mate 8" model.

From http://www.breathecast.com/articles/nexus-2015-rumors-news-leaked-video-reveals-specs-of-purported-2015-huawei-nexus-video-30407/

The Mate 7 had a 4100+mah battery, speculation is that this could have the same or bigger.

Anything passed through the FCC for a US and/or Sprint version that covers the Spark bands?  I'm in the market for a new phone this fall and will be going off contract, buying a Nexus.
    • By TH4RO
      Did anyone notice the video capture specs?
    • By derrph
      With the FCC and Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon have agreed to this new unlocking policy. How does this effect sprint phones such as the IPhone. I have heard that Sprint can unlock your phone but you can not take it to other carriers such as Verizon and the IPhone can only be used overseas.  (Correct me if I am wrong). I am glad that this has finally happened. But when it comes to Sprint how would this work?
    • By latinoboi30
      If anyone here is in the Houston Texas area, are you or have u gotten any 4g lte connections around town and if so where about?

If not, does anyone have any info as to when lte will go live in the city
    • Im skeptical of TMo News because they list cities constantly.  ATL is like on half the update pages.  It's like a few sites get upgraded (we don't know extent of upgrade) so gets listed. Not like back when spectrum refarm, mimo or qam was changed in mass.  With how far it is into it, I think the merger will happen.  Im split on it however.  I do like that we will get movement from Dish.  Whether they sell out in the future or not, it will be exciting to see Dish actually move forward with something.  I like Sprint's regional roaming agreements and the fact that I use them and support local business if you will.  I'm sure these will go away and will be missed.  I've never liked TMobile's 'no service' status on my phones when they could easily at least roam on a regional carrier. Whether prices go up or down, they won't be where we need them.  They won't go down to what we we think if fair.  If the merger happens, once my phones get updated for TMobile VoLTE I think we'll switch to MintSim.  I pay $90/mo + tax for two lines and use ~12GB total.  It's way too much for essentially internet access, and most places we are on WiFi anyways.  I feel like all the carriers keep adding more and more features or limits to these plans that very few actually use to keep prices inflated.  Make you feel like you get a lot so are ok with it, even though you actually use a little.  
    • What I don't get about the states suing is that they don't seem to understand that no matter what, at some point Sprint is going away. IMHO...if the Sprint/T-Mobile Merger does not go through, then eventually Sprint will be broken up into pieces and auctioned off to Verizon and AT&T and T-Mobile and now possibly Dish. In my mind, no matter what, Sprint will be going away at some point. So essentially Sprint is going way one way or another. Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    • All of the above. I think there are maybe 12 towers with band 41. Terrible. 
    • I agree.   Not sure how diligent they will be in providing a good 600MHz path and depth.   I do read on TMO News, that they are progressing with 700 deployment as well, but the main focus has been 600.      Do you think this merger will ultimately be completed?