Galaxy Note 2 + MC3 + SO 73 = Uncontrollable earpiece volume + Blown Speaker

MrZorbatron

I have recently come across a new problem with my new phone. This only happens in areas that are on the new network for 3G, and only on calls displaying so 73.

I find that I am completely unable to control the volume level of the earpiece speaker on my device. Whether it's all the way up or all the way down, the sound level is exactly the same. Speakerphone volume control functions normally. As soon as I'm outside of the new network, I'm back on the legacy 3G, my earpiece volume control functions normally.

At first it was just a mild annoyance, and I'd solvde it by putting a piece of cloth isolator tape over a my speaker. Now that my software has been updated, I am able to control the volume in these areas, but my earpiece sound is very very bad because the speaker seems to be blown.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? I am seriously about to replace my speaker myself, as I do not want a rebuilt phone. I have much greater confidence in my ability to repair this device than in their refurbishment shop.

I am starting to wonder now, actually. I just read a few complaints about the sound quality. I also just downloaded an app that allows playing audio files through the earpiece. It has no issue with music or talk files even at pretty high levels. I don't particularly want to take this thing apart either. Will reflash MC2 and find out.

This sounds like a software issue, since you stated that you can play other files perfectly fine. Maybe the phone app is just being really buggy.

-Luis

yes i have figured out that the speaker itself it not damaged.  As for the phone misbehavior, it only happens on the new CDMA and not the old.  i am more inclined to think it is a radio issue.  Further, when this is happening, the device says it is unable to adjust sound while on a "wideband" call if i change anything but volume.  It seems to have this same screwy sound no matter what output device it is connected to.

The sound is like a hiss mixed with the audio signal that rapidly transitions between on and off.  At lower volumes, it sounds like a blown speaker would, but at high volumes it does not.

With the restoration of MC2 firmware, the hiss like problem no longer occurs.  I instead have my ear blasted once again with no ability to turn the sound down.

the only problem is that it was a trip to install the new firmware without getting that stupid new Samsung security thing with it.  I do not want to go through that again until I know it will work right, plus I am getting OTA update notices again.

yes i have figured out that the speaker itself it not damaged.  As for the phone misbehavior, it only happens on the new CDMA and not the old.  i am more inclined to think it is a radio issue.  Further, when this is happening, the device says it is unable to adjust sound while on a "wideband" call if i change anything but volume.  It seems to have this same screwy sound no matter what output device it is connected to.

The sound is like a hiss mixed with the audio signal that rapidly transitions between on and off.  At lower volumes, it sounds like a blown speaker would, but at high volumes it does not.

With the restoration of MC2 firmware, the hiss like problem no longer occurs.  I instead have my ear blasted once again with no ability to turn the sound down.

the only problem is that it was a trip to install the new firmware without getting that stupid new Samsung security thing with it.  I do not want to go through that again until I know it will work right, plus I am getting OTA update notices again.

Same problem here after update. At my place of employment phone sounds really poor. Same msg about wideband calls. Other places calls sound fine.

If you got the update over the air, do not use Odin to go back to the old version. It will trip a flag in the KNOX bootloader and cause problems for later software updates or possibly a no boot or reboot loop condition.

Same problem here after update. At my place of employment phone sounds really poor. Same msg about wideband calls. Other places calls sound fine.

Let me guess... in a Samsung market with Network Vision 3G?

Edit: never mind. ohio is Samsung.

If you got the update over the air, do not use Odin to go back to the old version. It will trip a flag in the KNOX bootloader and cause problems for later software updates or possibly a no boot or reboot loop condition.

Heh, I did that last night since my root got all messed up for some reason, so I figured I'd go back to MC2 from MK4. I thought I could go back, but nope... I realize that now after doing a bit of research.

Anyway, ended up soft bricking my Note 2 after receiving a fail message within Odin. Tried rebooting afterwards and it wouldn't even light up. Only download mode worked and had to use Kies to get back up and running. If Knox is going to be the norm of Samsung, then this is my last device from them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

Too late for the Odin Advice.  I flashed an incomplete copy of MK4 from XDA.  The phone took the update and even booted up and functioned for the most part however it would fail sending texts frequently and dropped calls like crazy.  Ended up being able to go back to MC2 until i could get a proper MK4 update.  There are 2 ways around Knox that will let you install custom recovery. 1. you can root the phone and delete the knox related files or you can just not let the phone reboot back into android after you install your custom recovery (all of this info can be found on XDA)  the MC2 i installed came with an app to reset the rom status and tamper counter HOWEVER after i went back to MK4 the knox warranty void status was 1.  At this current point in time it cannot be reset as far as i know. However it does not hurt anything as my phone is out of warranty anyhow.