Verizon turns up the heat with 40mhz AWS Spectrum now live in a few major cities

Terrell352

They aren't deploying RRUs to all their sites. Here in NYC which is ALU market, live AWS sites mostly don't have RRUs:

A very few of them are RRU equipped:

It's really random: http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20130827/carriers/verizon-wireless-providing-template-for-lte-spectrum-enhancements/

OK. Looks like I have been looking incorrectly all along.  Doesn't appear any have remote RRU's around here.  I checked out about half a dozen sites around here today.

Robert

OK. Looks like I have been looking incorrectly all along. Doesn't appear any have remote RRU's around here. I checked out about half a dozen sites around here today.

Robert

Might have to send the handheld spectrum analyzer your way to play with for a couple of weeks.

• Like 4

OK. Looks like I have been looking incorrectly all along.  Doesn't appear any have remote RRU's around here.  I checked out about half a dozen sites around here today.

Robert

I'd go by scanning for Verizon in LTE Only mode on Nexus 5, and monitoring SINR, RSRQ, RSRP when in close proximity to those new panels. They could be AWS panels or AWS/PCS judging by size.

• Like 1

I'd go by scanning for Verizon in LTE Only mode on Nexus 5, and monitoring SINR, RSRQ, RSRP when in close proximity to those new panels. They could be AWS panels or AWS/PCS judging by size.

Verizon in Vegas is deploying AWS/750 dual band panels by replacing the 750 panels in many areas of the city.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1388523407077.jpg

I went back to the site in better light today during my lunch hour.  They actually changed one of the other sectors to narrow beam too.  So the two lower burdened sectors are unchanged, but the high burdened sector is now split into two narrow beam antennas.  Works like a charm!

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hmm that site looks familiar..was looking at a job near Ellsworth right before Christmas and think I seen it. I'll be back in a couple weeks to check things out and to try to connect to VZW band 4 in Rapid City.

• Like 1

Hmm that site looks familiar..was looking at a job near Ellsworth right before Christmas and think I seen it. I'll be back in a couple weeks to check things out and to try to connect to VZW band 4 in Rapid City.

It's just NE of the corner of Liberty Blvd. and Ellsworth Road in Box Elder near the Ellsworth Main Gate.  Right behind the new Dairy Queen.  You looking to relocate up here to the Black Hills?

Robert

EDIT:  I noticed today that no Band 4 LTE is coming up on my Nexus 5.  And my hotspot speeds are in the toilet.  I hope they turn it back on soon!

Edited by S4GRU
Added edit line at bottom

It's just NE of the corner of Liberty Blvd. and Ellsworth Road in Box Elder near the Ellsworth Main Gate.  Right behind the new Dairy Queen.  You looking to relocate up here to the Black Hills?

Robert

EDIT:  I noticed today that no Band 4 LTE is coming up on my Nexus 5.  And my hotspot speeds are in the toilet.  I hope they turn it back on soon!

Yep, that's where I thought I had seen it. I am not moving there I have a job to do there soon. Just south of Liberty Blvd on Ellsworth Road have you seen some dirt work on the east side of the road? I am the electrical contractor for the store being built there. I am from Omaha area so me and my guys will get some windshield time in :)

Plenty of reasons. 1. Competition how would it look if in the future Sprint just said we will only provide 4-5 mbps down of unlimited while att, verizon and tmobile all where at 40-60 on average. Even prepaid carriers are pushing 8-15 mbps. Thats like the samsung or apple saying why do we need to innovate and is not how humans are. 2. Capacity so if Sprint was just 5mbps it would slow down to nothing in no time. 3. Price. If I can get 60mbps on tmobile or 10-15 on prepaid and pay less than sprint then why would I want to stay. Also we are the minority on knowing how to root and get unlimited hotspot access. I have yet meet anyone in my city to use that method. Im sure someone knows how but they are the minority. Sprint needs to be faster to survive and thats the bottom line.

Sprint and all wireless carriers need to provide a seamless wireless data experience to survive. There will come a day when data will be as reliable as voice. That means when I go to access a web page, video, music or any kind of data it works seamlessly. No delays, no real waiting (equivalent to fix line service) and in that world the company that isn't able to accomplish that will die off. But speed has little to do with that. There is no differance between 5 Mbs and 200 Mbs to the end user of a smart phone.

• Like 1

Sprint and all wireless carriers need to provide a seamless wireless data experience to survive. There will come a day when data will be as reliable as voice. That means when I go to access a web page, video, music or any kind of data it works seamlessly. No delays, no real waiting (equivalent to fix line service) and in that world the company that isn't able to accomplish that will die off. But speed has little to do with that. There is no differance between 5 Mbs and 200 Mbs to the end user of a smart phone.

I agree with this too. Sprint is on borrowed time in this regard. But they are doing something about it.

Yep, that's where I thought I had seen it. I am not moving there I have a job to do there soon. Just south of Liberty Blvd on Ellsworth Road have you seen some dirt work on the east side of the road? I am the electrical contractor for the store being built there. I am from Omaha area so me and my guys will get some windshield time in :)

I wondered what was going on there. Assumed it was just a pipeline or some sort of infrastructure. My office is 5 mins from there on base.

I find it interesting that Verizon thinks data use will go up by 6 or 7 times in the next few years. Will their data caps rise as network capacity rises or will customers have to pony up the cash? Being a VZ customer myself, I know the answer to that rhetorical question.

I do wish my Note 2 could access AWS LTE. I think it would be really cool to test and show off (I already amazed some friends by showing them a 'whopping' 40Mbps SpeedTest while on a lightly loaded 700 LTE sector), and of course keep my from getting kicked down to 3G (which doesn't happen often, but about once a week for a few minutes). At least I've only gotten kicked to 1x once with this phone lol

Glad I'm not the only one whose Nexus 5 won't connect to VZW, thanks to the MEID issue I'm sure.

I got my Pantech UML295 modem in several days ago and, while it worked with my iPad, I didn't see any speed increases over the ~30 Mbps I can get in this part of Austin. I don't think they have AWS deployed quite yet...even though it'll only be 10x10 here.

Here is some update from NYC… State of the LTE on the duopoly networks 

Was the AT&T LTE on PCS or 700?

Also, am I the only that finds it odd that on Android Speedtest it says "Mbps" but on iOS it says "Megabits"?

Was the AT&T LTE on PCS or 700?

Also, am I the only that finds it odd that on Android Speedtest it says "Mbps" but on iOS it says "Megabits"?

700Mhz which is 10Mhz FDD. Band 2 is only 5Mhz

• Like 1

Here is some update from NYC… State of the LTE on the duopoly networks 

How much of his data plans did he waste on that? Also, based on the fact that they weren't the same model phones, and the LTE carrier sizes are different, what did this really accomplish? It appears that Verizon has a well deployed AWS LTE network in NYC now. AT&T needs to up the capacity. I guess the whole e-penis competition is just getting old now. :/

How much of his data plans did he waste on that? Also, based on the fact that they weren't the same model phones, and the LTE carrier sizes are different, what did this really accomplish? It appears that Verizon has a well deployed AWS LTE network in NYC now. AT&T needs to up the capacity. I guess the whole e-penis competition is just getting old now. :/

AT&T cannot just overcome this problem with capacity. Verizon AWS in NYC is on a 20MHz wide channel. AT&T at best can only do 10MHz channels, and often just 5. It will soon be said AT&T has the slowest LTE network.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

AT&T needs to up the capacity. I guess the whole e-penis competition is just getting old now. :/

No, AT&T just needs to buy the right product.  And in only four weeks, it can have a much larger e-penis.

AJ

• Like 3

Obviously you can't ever test the network if you don't use your data, so i dont look at it as "wasting" data since there is a purpose. Unlimited plans on both networks. As for the different UE, sure one is cat 3 the other is cat 4, but AT&T doesn't have enough spectrum to come even close to saturating Cat 3 with either of their LTE physical layers. As Robert said one is 10Mhz FDD and the other one is 5Mhz FDD.