Huawei CEO says Company has Exited U.S. network gear Market

KD8JBF

Huawei CEO Formally announces exit of U.S. Network Gear Market:

Read more: Report: Huawei CEO says company has exited U.S. network gear market - FierceWireless

Expected this with U.S. Gov't breathing down their necks! 

Kris

Huawei CEO Formally announces exit of U.S. Network Gear Market:

Read more: Report: Huawei CEO says company has exited U.S. network gear market - FierceWireless

Expected this with U.S. Gov't breathing down their necks! 

Kris

I never understood this, China owns most of the US anyways plus we have many other companies from other countries making gear for us.  Did they have any proof of this?

• Like 1

I never understood this, China owns most of the US anyways plus we have many other companies from other countries making gear for us.  Did they have any proof of this?

I doubt they ever had proof at all.....Its just our government is paranoid and assumes the worst on anything....kinda points back to that wire tapping the German Chancellors Cell phone.....lol

• Like 1

I doubt they ever had proof at all.....Its just our government is paranoid and assumes the worst on anything....kinda points back to that wire tapping the German Chancellors Cell phone.....lol

Didn't you read the White House report on it? They couldn't find any spying but they said that it wasn't very secure.

....kinda points back to that wire tapping the German Chancellors Cell phone.....lol

That was no big deal.  All of the conversation was just blah blah blah bratwurst...blah blah blah lederhosen...blah blah blah David Hasselhoff.

AJ

• Like 6

I'm sorry, but there has to be more to it than just, "Security Issues" Not sure I'd want to stab the backs of the country that basically owns us...LOL

That was no big deal.  All of the conversation was just blah blah blah bratwurst...blah blah blah lederhosen...blah blah blah David Hasselhoff.

AJ

blah blah how to run an economy that turns a surplus blah blah universal healthcare blah blah low unemployment blah blah decent education system ;) Well I guess they weren't listening too hard after all ;)

But the point is well made re China listening, we know there are back doors sorry deliberate security issues in all the kit (that we put there). Do we want to make it easier for China to spy? They obviously already do, would this make it easier? Probably. I think it's pretty much guaranteed that allowing that kit to become part of the national infrastructure would bring in compromises. The bigger question is (as mentioned) how far down are our pants already given the amount of Chinese stuff already in use and the economic dependence. I would hope however that anything important on a government \ military \ national security level would be safe by default as it should be encrypted in transit. The commercial impacts would probably be more severe, commercial espionage etc.

• Like 2

To be fair... they're paranoid because that's exactly what they're doing to everyone else. So if they're doing it... everyone else must be too!!!!!

Call it paranoid all you want. The way I see it there was a security concern about Sprint using Huawei equipment since Sprint holds government contracts. Pretty significant with the accusation that China has stolen multiple plans for United States weapon systems.

I'm sorry, but there has to be more to it than just, "Security Issues" Not sure I'd want to stab the backs of the country that basically owns us...LOL

I'm sure it is security issues, but the inverse,where they wouldn't have their listening/logging software installed, so they don't want them here.

I'm sure it is security issues, but the inverse,where they wouldn't have their listening/logging software installed, so they don't want them here.

There is an element of lobbying and protectionism, which given the Chinese attitude towards their currency and state investment is understandable. They also have a long history of acting as manufacturers for western \ Japanese companies and then copying their work, then investing heavily in their own education to begin to develop their own technology based on what they 'borrowed'. They have an entire scooter and motorcycle industry built off the designs of a couple of Honda engines (to the point they can be part compatible in some cases). So not buying back stuff built off reverse engineering our products is not entirely crazy :) However yes, security is also a part. No sense making it too easy for them. We can't hop on our high horses about spying, it's not like we don't do it even to our allies, but we shouldn't make it too easy. I'd be worried however if transit gear were too vulnerable, surely it must be heavily encrypted if it ever goes near a public network?? Even government contracts, sure they could probably listen in on cell phone calls and intercept low level emails, but the real important stuff must be protected right? If not I think some of our people need to answer some questions. I guess it could leave us vulnerable to them turning everything off in the event of a war? 

China does not own us. The last time I heard, they owned only 20% of our debt. While that is a significant number, it is not even anywhere near a majority. It is dangerous for Americans to assume we are so indebted to the Chinese. It will just create a generation that feels we owe China much more than just money and be willing to capitulate our own interests out of fear of the debt holder.

Neither a borrower nor lender be.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

China does not own us. The last time I heard, they owned only 20% of our debt. While that is a significant number, it is not even anywhere near a majority. It is dangerous for Americans to assume we are so indebted to the Chinese. It will just create a generation that feels we owe China much more than just money and be willing to capitulate our own interests out of fear of the debt holder.

Neither a borrower nor lender be.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I am well aware of the level of indebtedness...It was more satire in my post than anything... :P....After all I am no sheep in a herd....being a sheep is dangerous, as you say....It will just increase fear.... :D

• Like 1

China does not own us. The last time I heard, they owned only 20% of our debt. While that is a significant number, it is not even anywhere near a majority. It is dangerous for Americans to assume we are so indebted to the Chinese. It will just create a generation that feels we owe China much more than just money and be willing to capitulate our own interests out of fear of the debt holder.Neither a borrower nor lender be.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

You beat me to the punch! The largest slice of our debt is money one part of the federal government owes to another part. The next largest slice, by far, is money owed to US citizens.

The security concerns are around potential backdoors. NSA spying notwithstanding, the government doesn't (and legally can't) compel Qualcomm to include spying hooks in baseband chips for example. But in China, the party and military can make them include hidden backdoors or anything else. That's the concern anyway, well-founded or not. It's already a concern for the military that so many electronic devices and chips are made overseas.

• Like 1