Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

Nothing new, but in-market HD voice seems to be working a good portion of the time here in Austin. Funny how 12.85 kbps with rock-solid QoS can sound better than 32+ kbps over the wide Internet.

For what it's worth, at the very least the Galaxy Victory can transmit HD voice, as can the ZTE Awe (or is it the Reef? not 100% sure). Not sure yet if those phones have the added HD voice clarity on the receive side, but on my N5 you can certainly tell the difference.

• Like 2

Experienced hd voice in Augusta ga yesterday. Sounded excellent on my Torque, almost seemed like my wife was in the room with me. [emoji1]

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's technically not possible at this time but I had a very good sounding call to a T-Mobile phone that is HD voice capable from my 5S, it didn't sound like HD but it was still far clearer then normal, as though both airlinks were running in HD and then crossing to the other network in G.711. It for surely sounded better then a landline, sounded like G.711 over IP phones instead.

Experienced hd voice in Augusta ga yesterday. Sounded excellent on my Torque, almost seemed like my wife was in the room with me. [emoji1]

Is that a good thing?  Now, she can nag you from far away in full HD.

AJ

• Like 2

Is that a good thing? Now, she can nag you from far away in full HD.

AJ

Haha you've got it exactly. [emoji3]

I'm loving it so much because the earpiece on my Torque makes it hard to understand women but with Hd I can clearly hear everything and don't have to say huh? A thousand times.... I think my phone is sexist.

Haha you've got it exactly. [emoji3]

I'm loving it so much because the earpiece on my Torque makes it hard to understand women but with Hd I can clearly hear everything and don't have to say huh? A thousand times.... I think my phone is sexist.

Why do you think old husbands frequently develop selective hearing loss?

;)

AJ

I know it's technically not possible at this time but I had a very good sounding call to a T-Mobile phone that is HD voice capable from my 5S, it didn't sound like HD but it was still far clearer then normal, as though both airlinks were running in HD and then crossing to the other network in G.711. It for surely sounded better then a landline, sounded like G.711 over IP phones instead.

Even without inter-carrier HD voice support, simply running HD codecs on both air links will produce a noticeable increase in call quality. Traditional cellular codecs transcode your calls to a bitrate and quality that is lower than that of a regular landline, and this happens on both sides of the call separately since it has to traverse the PSTN. But with HD voice codecs, the cellular codecs are actually higher quality than landlines, so the PSTN is the quality bottleneck.

In other words, today, a call between two HD voice capable handsets across cellular carriers should be of comparable quality to a call between an HD voice handset and a landline.

• Like 3

Even without inter-carrier HD voice support, simply running HD codecs on both air links will produce a noticeable increase in call quality. Traditional cellular codecs transcode your calls to a bitrate and quality that is lower than that of a regular landline, and this happens on both sides of the call separately since it has to traverse the PSTN. But with HD voice codecs, the cellular codecs are actually higher quality than landlines, so the PSTN is the quality bottleneck.

In other words, today, a call between two HD voice capable handsets across cellular carriers should be of comparable quality to a call between an HD voice handset and a landline.

Yes that is the point I was trying to make. Even without full HD compatibility call quality has improved a lot just by using the HD codecs anyway during non HD to HD calls.

Now we have at worst case is landline quality calls (assuming the other end is an HD capable phone on another carrier or an actual landline.)

• Like 1

Still waiting for increased call quality on AT&T. My voice connections sound circa 2003.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

This has probably been discussed before. But can I get HD voice while connected to my airave....? My thinking is no, probably not and I have to be connected to an actual tower.

You are correct. No, you cannot. The airave can be considered a "legacy" site.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Still waiting for increased call quality on AT&T. My voice connections sound circa 2003.

AT&T is using AMR 12.2 just about everywhere now. CO, NM and TX I experienced it and Chicagoland has it active now too.

AT&T is using AMR 12.2 just about everywhere now. CO, NM and TX I experienced it and Chicagoland has it active now too.

That's literally the max AT&T can go right now until VoLTE.

T-Mobile sort of forced them into it, when T-Mobile unveiled HD Voice over UMTS AT&T suddenly had lots of places on AMR-FR. Clearly not a coincidence.

That's literally the max AT&T can go right now until VoLTE.

T-Mobile sort of forced them into it, when T-Mobile unveiled HD Voice over UMTS AT&T suddenly had lots of places on AMR-FR. Clearly not a coincidence.

While I have not necessarily seen stats to back it up, the impression is voice traffic has declined so much in the face of messaging and data alternatives that running full rate or even HD has little consequence on capacity.

AJ

I can tell you I have not experienced anything on my AT&T Nexus 5 that sounds even up to typical Sprint quality, let alone anything close to HD Voice.  Whether to landlines, other AT&T customers, other AT&T N5's or to any other provider.  

Do you know of anywhere on my N5 where I can verify my bit rate when on an AT&T phone call?  It seems to only work when I'm using a Sprint SIM card.

Robert

I don't doubt ATT is pretty bad but, I would still put my money on T-Mobile having the worst voice quality of all carriers.  My sister has an iPhone 5S on T-Mobile and I'm constantly having to ask her to repeat herself because the quality is so poor.  I'm not really all that picky when it comes to voice quality in rearguards to a telephone call but, T-Mobil is just hideous.

Since she has a new, high end phone, she's the only person I know on T-Mo, and the only person I have this problem with, I am led to believe the only explanation is T-Mobile's shoddy network. 

On another note, My brother and I are both are on Sprint, and the HD voice is simply amazing!

It really depends on where you are geographically. In Southwest CO particularly Durango, where I stayed for a month I had my N5 on att and the voice quality way outdid my 5S on Sprint, which sounded robotic and garbled a lot. When I traveled down to TX Sprint sounded MUCH better and att sounded the same, they became about equal.

Now I'm back home and Sprint, TMO, and att sound about equally as good. A year ago I would've said att sounded awful as they still hadn't enabled AMR-FR here yet.

If you know someone with an att Galaxy device you can verify what your using easily. *#0011# I believe.

I don't doubt ATT is pretty bad but, I would still put my money on T-Mobile having the worst voice quality of all carriers.  My sister has an iPhone 5S on T-Mobile and I'm constantly having to ask her to repeat herself because the quality is so poor.  I'm not really all that picky when it comes to voice quality in rearguards to a telephone call but, T-Mobil is just hideous.

Since she has a new, high end phone, she's the only person I know on T-Mo, and the only person I have this problem with, I am led to believe the only explanation is T-Mobile's shoddy network. 

On another note, My brother and I are both are on Sprint, and the HD voice is simply amazing!

Sprint's voice quality is the best in my opinion. In general though, Sprint to T-Mobile voice calls sound poor. I don't know why. Sprint to Verizon is great too. Sprint to AT&T is decent.

Sprint to Sprint sounds better than landline in my opinion. It's great for me though being that most of my family is either on Verizon or Sprint. There are a few T-Mobile and a few AT&T users.

• Like 1

Sprint's voice quality is the best in my opinion. In general though, Sprint to T-Mobile voice calls sound poor. I don't know why. Sprint to Verizon is great too. Sprint to AT&T is decent.

Sprint to Sprint sounds better than landline in my opinion. It's great for me though being that most of my family is either on Verizon or Sprint. There are a few T-Mobile and a few AT&T users.

I was in a car with a friend who called my brother on Sprint. Friend has ATT. The call quality on his end was horrible. I wonder if it was the same on my brothers end. 

Sprint's voice quality is the best in my opinion.

Sprint to Sprint sounds better than landline in my opinion.

Maybe it is time to bring back the pin drop. ;)

Sprint to Verizon is great too.

Sprint to Verizon used to be terrible. However the last couple of calls I have made to known Verizon customers have been fairly clear.

You are correct. No, you cannot. The airave can be considered a "legacy" site.

-Anthony

I have kept my AirRave since it still gets me a reliable ring which I need...   It still only connects about half the time when my Galaxy 5 is set to LTE mode... I'll put up with lesser quality for a bit more until WIFI calling directly works...

• Like 1