Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

I integrated HD Voice and calls using EVRC_NW codec didn't seem as good.  I un-integrated just now and tried again, and it still sounds muddy.  It's not crystal clear like it was before.

Not sure if this is tower related (they just LTE'd the tower right by me) or GVoice issue

What do you mean by "integrated"?  You do not have control over which codec the network uses.

AJ

What do you mean by "integrated"?  You do not have control over which codec the network uses.

AJ

He means Google Voice integration: "Not sure if this is tower related ... or GVoice issue"

FYI - apparently the original iPhone5 (not the 5c/5s) has HD voice capability but the type of HD voice capability it has is not compatible with Sprint's network.  My guess?  Apple wants more 5c/5s adopters so the old 5 is out of luck.  Wouldn't be the first time.

FYI - apparently the original iPhone5 (not the 5c/5s) has HD voice capability but the type of HD voice capability it has is not compatible with Sprint's network. My guess? Apple wants more 5c/5s adopters so the old 5 is out of luck. Wouldn't be the first time.

I know the 5 is hd compatible with T-Mobile, and maybe only T-Mobile.

FYI - apparently the original iPhone5 (not the 5c/5s) has HD voice capability but the type of HD voice capability it has is not compatible with Sprint's network.

That is AMR-WB -- the way that the Eurasian centric 3GPP does HD Voice.

AJ

No, I guarantee that the flip phone does not support EVRC-NW.  Though CDMA1X Advanced should not be necessary, EVRC-NW seems to have gotten wrapped up in that standard.

Regardless, the end point of your call should have no bearing on your codec in use.  For example, the codec is not selected via a mutual "handshake" method -- à la dialup modems.  As necessary, transcoding is applied in between the call end points.  And any call that hits the POTS network gets transcoded to POTS quality.

So, a call to an old Sprint flip phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, EVRC on the other.  A call to a T-Mobile phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, AMR-WB on the other -- both support HD Voice standards, but the call will be transcoded to POTS quality in the middle leg.  The same holds true for your VoIP landline.

AJ

Hey so is this what's happening to me?  I used to always have HD Voice when calling my dad (other Nexus 5), then once I integrated then unintegrated google voice I haven't seen it since.  I'm hoping it's just a weird coincidence.  Both Phones will say EVRC_NW on the engineering screen, tested them in the same room.  

Quality used to be so amazing, now it's definitely just a regular phone call.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

So what does Sprint need to do to allow two separate markets to have HD-Voice conversations when they "flip the switch" this summer? As we all know, it's currently limited to Sprint users of the same region/market. 

So what does Sprint need to do to allow two separate markets to have HD-Voice conversations when they "flip the switch" this summer? As we all know, it's currently limited to Sprint users of the same region/market.

They're working with the vendors to get cross-market and cross-vendor HD voice support. It's all software stuff now. Upgraded towers *should* have active HD voice but not all do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm in PA and my mother was travelling in California last week. I could've sworn we were on an HD voice call. Although, we both have EVO LTEs, which I think have nice sound quality anyway.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I'm in PA and my mother was travelling in California last week. I could've sworn we were on an HD voice call. Although, we both have EVO LTEs, which I think have nice sound quality anyway.

If you had an HD voice call you would know it. The difference is huge.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe I had my first cross-market HD voice call today.

Lehigh Valley, PA to Binghamton, NY. 

The proverbial switch may have been flipped. 

• Like 3

I believe I had my first cross-market HD voice call today.

Lehigh Valley, PA to Binghamton, NY.

The proverbial switch may have been flipped.

That would be awesome if it has! Hopefully we will see more of this happening.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Other phones I've used would enable hd while the call was ringing (I could usually hear the tone of the ring change), but my m8 waits until about 2 seconds after the person picks up the phone. I get a strange "click," then hd. Kind of annoying.

Other phones I've used would enable hd while the call was ringing (I could usually hear the tone of the ring change), but my m8 waits until about 2 seconds after the person picks up the phone. I get a strange "click," then hd. Kind of annoying.

What your M8 does is exactly what my 5S always does.

-Anthony

Has anyone had any luck yet with HD voice while using Google Voice integration?

I haven't had any HD calls on my GV integrated line. (Galaxy Note 3)

On another line without GV, I do get HD calls. (Galaxy S4, Nexus 5)

I don't know if my experience is the norm though.

I don't know if LA Metro and Orange County, CA just recently got HD voice turned on or if it was there for a while, but I believe I just had my first HD voice experience with my girlfriend. I just know that when she spoke, it was very clear, much more clear than any phone call I have ever had, and I asked her if my voice was also clear, and she said yes. If this really was HD voice, then wow, it really is a huge difference.

On Father's Day, I had a cross market call between my daughter in the Hartford, CT area on an Iphone 5 talking to me in Jacksonville FL on my Galaxy 5 in HD Voice..  She was in a grocery store though that caused her phone to drop a couple of times but it sounded great!!!

I've also had calls from Charlotte NC to Gainesville FL in HD...   HD voice only works for me in Charlotte when I am not connected to my in-home  tower(AirRave) but that gives me a strong signal in my condo there (5 bars) vs 1 bar otherwise...

D

Had a call from Northern CT market to Massachusetts market (out near the Cape) that was HD voice. Before today, it seemed to only be a few tower spans before it wasn't HD.

Sent from my HTC M8

On Father's Day, I had a cross market call between my daughter in the Hartford, CT area on an Iphone 5 talking to me in Jacksonville FL on my Galaxy 5 in HD Voice.. She was in a grocery store though that caused her phone to drop a couple of times but it sounded great!!!

I've also had calls from Charlotte NC to Gainesville FL in HD... HD voice only works for me in Charlotte when I am not connected to my in-home tower(AirRave) but that gives me a strong signal in my condo there (5 bars) vs 1 bar otherwise...

D

The sprint iPhone 5 isn't hd capable. Only the 5s/5c