Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

Software version number: iOS 7.1 (11D167)

Modem Firmware Version: 2.18.02

The official change logs did not point this out that we are aware of. Do you have other change logs showing this information.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but recent iOS update(OTA or iTunes) on 3/10/14 enabled HD voice on Sprint iPhone 5c and 5s.

I can't find anything online, but my own ears can confirm this feature being activated.

• Like 2

HD voice is working in Greenville SC. You can really tell a difference in call quality and will definitely know when you have HD voice between two Sprint calls.

Yeah it's pretty crazy/awesome. You pick up so many more background noises that it can drive you nuts. It's like the ambient noise microphones don't do anything. My wife was thumbing through a magazine, and I heard every page turn and paper crinkle.

Was she on an iPhone? Mine usually had pretty awesome noise cancellation from what people told me.

Yes. Two iPhone 5s's both with the noise cancellation mic turned on. It's just that clear I guess.

• Like 2

Yes. Two iPhone 5s's both with the noise cancellation mic turned on. It's just that clear I guess.

Apple products ;). Also, hd voice on the 5s just made me very happy to be a sprint customer

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Well, here's all the proof you need about the iPhone 5s having hd voice. I switched to my g2 and called my wife's iPhone. Excellent

Posted Image

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's pretty crazy/awesome. You pick up so many more background noises that it can drive you nuts. It's like the ambient noise microphones don't do anything. My wife was thumbing through a magazine, and I heard every page turn and paper crinkle.

I've had the same experience between an iPhone 5s and my nexus 5. You can hear way too many background sounds. It reminds me of talking to people with cheap Bluetooth ear pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Can anyone explain to me what we know about hd voice markets and vendors? Can the call cross vendors? Or do the have to be the same vendor.

Have we confirmed yet whether it shows EVRC_NW even when calling some numbers that obviously aren't HD voice capable? From my understanding, the phone can still show EVRC_NW even when it is being transcoded on the network-side to something else like EVRC-B.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Not all of the towers near me are are NV yet so I keep getting put onto legacy towers randomly.

• Like 1

Have we confirmed yet whether it shows EVRC_NW even when calling some numbers that obviously aren't HD voice capable? From my understanding, the phone can still show EVRC_NW even when it is being transcoded on the network-side to something else like EVRC-B.

Or maybe I'm just crazy. Not all of the towers near me are are NV yet so I keep getting put onto legacy towers randomly.

Funny you mention this. Last night, I looked for the hell of it while calling a landline (automated system I use at work) and it said evrc_nw. Not sure why, but it did.

I still have terrible call quality. Very distorted and I can barely understand people. So with no 800, will I notice any difference in call quality?

Sorry, still trying to understand all of this,

Edited by JThorson

So my question is that if a site is.3g/4g/800 accepted should this site have hd? I have lg g2 and it always shows evrc.

The 800 is HD voice capable. But it does not mean you will definitely connect with HD voice on CDMA 800. All HD voice at this point is hit nor miss.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

HD Voice seems to be alive and well all throughout NYC. Sprint to Sprint calls are fantastic when o call my Aunt's GS3or my Dad's Note 2. The only time I'm not on HD Voice is if I'm in a non-NV upgraded area.

And all of these calls are done on PCS.

Funny you mention this. Last night, I looked for the hell of it while calling a landline (automated system I use at work) and it said evrc_nw. Not sure why, but it did.

Yep, my phone says it every time, regardless of who I'm calling. (Landline, Sprint, Verizon..etc) My guess is that the site I'm connected to supports it, but it's just reliant on the recipient having EVRC-NW capabilities for it to be a true HD voice call.

So is 1900cdma getting hd voice capabilities also i thought i read a post saying that theres no reason why it couldnt or something.

Yes. 1900 and 800 are both compatible. The 800 has nothing over 1900 as far as HD voice is concerned, other than the possibility that HD Voice gets turned on at the same time 800 gets turned on. Same trip to the tower, most likely. 

Can anyone explain to me what we know about hd voice markets and vendors? Can the call cross vendors? Or do the have to be the same vendor.

Same vendor, within same market for now. Diff vendors, diff markets coming 2nd half of 2014. See below.

To experience HD Voice both callers require a Sprint HD Voice capable phone while both are in a Sprint HD Voice and 3G Network Vision enabled market. In addition, there are interoperability updates required in the network. Network wide implementation is expected mid-2014.

Requirements:

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile within the same market and vendor (Intra-Market, Intra-Vendor) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites.

-Both Devices must be homed to HD Voice enabled market. Devices are homed to a market based on their Phone number, not billing address.

(Side note: if one party’s device switches to non NV/HD tower then call will drop down to standard voice quality and will not kick back to HD voice even if it reconnects to NV/HD tower)

Official launch announcements are pending, but the following markets are above 80% of the 3G build and are HD enabled. They should work HD Voice device to HD Voice device, within the same market. Interoperability will be available later.

Interoperability:

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile within same vendor, different markets (Intra-OEM, Inter-Market) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites (completion set for mid-2014)

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile between vendor areas (Inter-OEM) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites (completion set for mid-2014)

Atlanta / Athens

Central Illinois

Central Iowa

Chicago

Dakotas

DFW

East Iowa

East Michigan

East Texas

Ft. Wayne / South Bend

GA/SC Coast

Georgia

Houston

Idaho

Indianapolis

Inland Northwest

Kansas

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Milwaukee

Mississippi

North Wisconsin

Oregon/SW Washington

PR / VI

Rochester

Utah

West Iowa/Nebraska

West Michigan

Western Pennsylvania

Edited by sexpanther
  • Like 5

Same vendor, within same market for now. Diff vendors, diff markets coming 2nd half of 2014. See below.

To experience HD Voice both callers require a Sprint HD Voice capable phone while both are in a Sprint HD Voice and 3G Network Vision enabled market. In addition, there are interoperability updates required in the network. Network wide implementation is expected mid-2014.

Requirements:

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile within the same market and vendor (Intra-Market, Intra-Vendor) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites.

-Both Devices must be homed to HD Voice enabled market. Devices are homed to a market based on their Phone number, not billing address.

(Side note: if one party’s device switches to non NV/HD tower then call will drop down to standard voice quality and will not kick back to HD voice even if it reconnects to NV/HD tower)

Official launch announcements are pending, but the following markets are above 80% of the 3G build and are HD enabled. They should work HD Voice device to HD Voice device, within the same market. Interoperability will be available later.

Interoperability:

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile within same vendor, different markets (Intra-OEM, Inter-Market) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites (completion set for mid-2014)

-Sprint HD Mobile to Sprint HD Mobile between vendor areas (Inter-OEM) when both parties are using NV upgraded sites (completion set for mid-2014)

Atlanta / Athens

Central Illinois

Central Iowa

Chicago

Dakotas

DFW

East Iowa

East Michigan

East Texas

Ft. Wayne / South Bend

GA/SC Coast

Georgia

Houston

Idaho

Indianapolis

Inland Northwest

Kansas

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Milwaukee

Mississippi

North Wisconsin

Oregon/SW Washington

PR / VI

Rochester

Utah

West Iowa/Nebraska

West Michigan

Western Pennsylvania

60% of the time, it works every time!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :hah: )

• Like 1

Just completed an EVRC-NW call in PCS on my Nexus 5 here in Austin. The other end of the connection was a landline, and I could definitely tell the quality difference from the get-go, mainly from the background noise while the call was ringing. Of course, the actual voice part of the call was nice and clear too, through my headset.

Not completely sure when this enhancement happened, partially because I don't call non-cell phones much and as such the receiving end of the call is generally the limiting factor, but I like the quality increase. Need to find someone with an HD voice enabled Sprint phone to test that part of the conversation against.

• Like 2

Just completed an EVRC-NW call in PCS on my Nexus 5 here in Austin. The other end of the connection was a landline, and I could definitely tell the quality difference from the get-go, mainly from the background noise while the call was ringing. Of course, the actual voice part of the call was nice and clear too, through my headset.

Not completely sure when this enhancement happened, partially because I don't call non-cell phones much and as such the receiving end of the call is generally the limiting factor, but I like the quality increase. Need to find someone with an HD voice enabled Sprint phone to test that part of the conversation against.

I believe my home tower has had HD enabled as well in the past 4 days or so. I noticed tuesday night that all calls now have a different sound to them than before, I'm not good at describing this sort of thing really. I haven't made an end-to-end HD call yet but I expect it will happen soon.