Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

Hey everyone, I am a little dumb to this. I think that HD voice maybe around my area. Mountain Top, PA 18707. I made a phone call yesterday and it was perfectly clean. I know they just upgraded the area from 1xrtt to EHRPD. There is no 1x Advanced, where do I go in the phone to the engineering screen so I can capture a screen shot for you guys to review.

Thanks in advance for your help.

So, any idea if Google Voice co-opts that and forces things to fall back to a different codec?

I am not basing this off of any scientific evidence, but I feel it does drop to a lower quality codec. When I tried Google Voice, I felt the calls sounded more muffled and fuzzy whenever I called someone, including my wife who also has a G2. Perhaps I was hearing things, but between that nagging feeling that call quality dropped and the odd way I kept missing calls and had lots of phantom voice mails, I decided to ditch Google Voice and my calls have been great again since.

I just tested a call where I started on EVRC-NW on SMR and it sounded awful. Part way through the call it did a hard handoff to EVRC on PCS and sounded fine. The handoff happens 21 seconds into the recording.

I was able to replicate it when I got home by calling the local traffic information.

https://soundcloud.com/dbsynergy/mid-call-handoff

http://imgur.com/a/T1FgT

I just tested a call where I started on EVRC-NW on SMR and it sounded awful. Part way through the call it did a hard handoff to EVRC on PCS and sounded fine. The handoff happens 21 seconds into the recording. I was able to replicate it when I got home by calling the local traffic information. https://soundcloud.com/dbsynergy/mid-call-handoff http://imgur.com/a/T1FgT

As stated earlier, you might not have been experienceing HD Voice. The other device would have to be using EVRC-NW as well. Of call quality was poor, it likely wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So basically at this point, it can be gathered from this thread that:

• HD-Voice can work on 1x 800Mhz or 1x 1900Mhz
  • HD-Voice functions on iPhone 5+.

Lingering questions I have:

• Does it require new antennas, can it work on legacy hardware? 
  • Is it functional between two markets? Or is it really a regional thing? (One market can have it turned on while another market 10 miles away with the same vendor's hardware will not?)

So basically at this point, it can be gathered from this thread that:

• HD-Voice functions on iPhone 5+.

On W-CDMA, yes.  On CDMA1X, doubtful.  Where did you find evidence that any iPhone implements support for EVRC-NW?

AJ

No, I guarantee that the flip phone does not support EVRC-NW. Though CDMA1X Advanced should not be necessary, EVRC-NW seems to have gotten wrapped up in that standard.

Regardless, the end point of your call should have no bearing on your codec in use. For example, the codec is not selected via a mutual "handshake" method -- à la dialup modems. As necessary, transcoding is applied in between the call end points. And any call that hits the POTS network gets transcoded to POTS quality.

So, a call to an old Sprint flip phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, EVRC on the other. A call to a T-Mobile phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, AMR-WB on the other -- both support HD Voice standards, but the call will be transcoded to POTS quality in the middle leg. The same holds true for your VoIP landline.

AJ

Yes! And this can create noticeable artifact.

Hey so maybe a stupid question...does HD Voice work if one party is on the Airave 2.5 and the other on sprint cell tower?

Thanks

from my experience, no. my brother in law and sister in law have a 2.5 airave at their house and if you are connected to it there is no HD voice, if you connect to an actual tower and no one is on an airave then there is HD voice.

funny thing about HD voice, they initially thought something was wrong with their phones because when they would make calls to each other while on HD voice it was so clear that it almost sounded echo-y so they thought there was an issue with one of their phones :) 

• Like 1

On W-CDMA, yes.  On CDMA1X, doubtful.  Where did you find evidence that any iPhone implements support for EVRC-NW?

AJ

Edited original post. But I've heard other members say it was functional, I think? Is this evidence in the wild, or is it totally unknown for the iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S?

We know the Nexus 5 supports EVRC-NW 100%, correct?

Last night I placed a call between two Nexus 5's in my Upstate NY market (Same room as each other) and it was definitely not HD Voice. ALU not supported yet, or is it just my group of local towers that don't?

If you get HD voice, you will definitely know it. Whenever I call my wife, the ability to hear each other, even while I am in the car driving, is amazing. We both have G2s in an Ericsson market. One of the biggest benefits is the ability to hear the other caller through background noise. Whenever I've called people while driving, no one can tell I am in the car.

• Like 1

If you get HD voice, you will definitely know it. Whenever I call my wife, the ability to hear each other, even while I am in the car driving, is amazing. We both have G2s in an Ericsson market. One of the biggest benefits is the ability to hear the other caller through background noise. Whenever I've called people while driving, no one can tell I am in the car.

How do we verify if the HD voice encoder EVRC-NW is enabled on the G2?  Is there anything else we need to look for?

One of the biggest benefits is the ability to hear the other caller through background noise. Whenever I've called people while driving, no one can tell I am in the car.

That is nothing new. Because it helps reduce the variable bit rate, ambient noise cancelation has been built in since at least the original EVRC, which has been around for 15 years.

AJ

I've always been impressed with Sprint voice quality since I got my first cellphone on my own on Sprint's "new" PCS Vision network. I have used 6 different Sprint phones since then and until I got the G2, I haven't heard voice like I do now. I realize they have used noise cancelation for a long time, but the clarity I hear now whenever I talk to my wife or my coworker who has a Note 3 is way different than the normal clarity I have always enjoyed. I just think that either HD voice is partially active or the encoder is almost HD.

Calling my dad from my Note 2 to his Nexus 5 is simply amazing on the voice quality.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the source? I couldn't find this on Apple.com.

Idk I'm pretty sure I've read that the tower needs to be updated. Works fine up here in northern Ct (alu market I believe)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I believe that's correct now. No way of knowing based on the maps on this site.

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but recent iOS update(OTA or iTunes) on 3/10/14 enabled HD voice on Sprint iPhone 5c and 5s.

Did some searching on the web and some people are reporting this as well. I was unaware the 5s was hd voice capable. Do you have a credible source?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk