Wireless Router firmware

bosox801

I run a ASUS RT-AC66U and was wondering if anyone here runs other than stock firmware on their set up? Ie tomato I think merlin is another one I've heard of? If so is it worth it and how complex is it?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I run a ASUS RT-AC66U and was wondering if anyone here runs other than stock firmware on their set up? Ie tomato I think merlin is another one I've heard of? If so is it worth it and how complex is it?

I haven't picked one up yet, but I can guarantee you, if it runs DD-WRT, I'm running it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159637&start=960

• Like 2

I've run DD-WRT in the past on other routers but my To-Do list at home is so long that playing with router firmware is way down there right now.

I did perform an ASUS firmware update on my router last night, but then that was because the home internet was crawling following the Cox Cable speed increase announcement.  Didn't know if my problem was on my end or theirs so was going about rebooting everything and noticed that the router update was available. 

I would be, too, but last time I tried it out on my router they didn't have the 5GHz radios up and running.

That's no longer an issue. I have 5GHz on my E2000.

I have been using Tomato for several years across my routers. I haven't messed with any others except OpenWRT, but I ended up going back to the mater

DD-WRT has been the most reliable to me. The only problem I have is with my Belkin N+ F5d8235-4 v1000. It's not supported and haven't been able to find a reliable third party that does.

I run Shibby's Tomato on my RT-N66U.  That firmware and box still impresses me everyday...  auto-updating adblocking/malware blocking on the entire network, multi-SSIDs, VLANs, VPN usage for my Note2 when on public wifi, VPN from work, FTP, bandwidth stats per IP, etc.  You make it as complex as you like.

I run Shibby's Tomato on my RT-N66U.  That firmware and box still impresses me everyday...  auto-updating adblocking/malware blocking on the entire network, multi-SSIDs, VLANs, VPN usage for my Note2 when on public wifi, VPN from work, FTP, bandwidth stats per IP, etc.  You make it as complex as you like.

For those of us who are NOT are technically savvy with firmware, is the asus system not enough to run a home network?  I think it is probably the easiest to use and most intuitive compared to say the old lynksis or d-link I have. 

For those of us who are NOT are technically savvy with firmware, is the asus system not enough to run a home network? I think it is probably the easiest to use and most intuitive compared to say the old lynksis or d-link I have.

It runs fine but clicking a few upgrade buttons is simple to do. So why not upgrade it?

It runs fine but clicking a few upgrade buttons is simple to do. So why not upgrade it?

The upgrading firmware isn't the tough part, it is understanding the program and setting things back up the way they were.  For me it would be a whole weekend trying to figure it out.

The upgrading firmware isn't the tough part, it is understanding the program and setting things back up the way they were. For me it would be a whole weekend trying to figure it out.

It's like any other router in that aspect.

For those of us who are NOT are technically savvy with firmware, is the asus system not enough to run a home network?  I think it is probably the easiest to use and most intuitive compared to say the old lynksis or d-link I have. 

To me its like driving a sports car for a few a bit, now I want more out of it and if its "bolt on" why not? 

I run Shibby's Tomato on my RT-N66U. That firmware and box still impresses me everyday... auto-updating adblocking/malware blocking on the entire network, multi-SSIDs, VLANs, VPN usage for my Note2 when on public wifi, VPN from work, FTP, bandwidth stats per IP, etc. You make it as complex as you like.

I use the same router firmware as you and I do most of the same things as you listed, but the ad blocking on the entire network sounds intriguing. I'll have to try that out!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk 4

I use the same router firmware as you and I do most of the same things as you listed, but the ad blocking on the entire network sounds intriguing. I'll have to try that out!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk 4

A few steps to setup but well worth it... 

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/all-u-need-ad-blocking.33191/

• Like 1

Well after hours of reading and learning (and I thought this sight was above my head) i think im gonna try tomato by shibby. Digiblur ROM is beast and his insight is pretty straight forward. I do have a question since shibbys video is in polish (i know i know) his latest version has two different files im not 100% which one to load. Could I get a hint? http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-AC/114-EN/RT-AC66U/

Im hoping this firmware will improve my 2.4 performance it has been on the outs well right after i started this thread??

• Like 1

Well after hours of reading and learning (and I thought this sight was above my head) i think im gonna try tomato by shibby. Digiblur ROM is beast and his insight is pretty straight forward. I do have a question since shibbys video is in polish (i know i know) his latest version has two different files im not 100% which one to load. Could I get a hint? http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26RT-AC/114-EN/RT-AC66U/

Im hoping this firmware will improve my 2.4 performance it has been on the outs well right after i started this thread??

Rock and roll with the AIO (All in One), it has VPN and few other features.  You don't have to use them or turn them on.

• Like 1

Works quite nicely! Might have to fiddle with the whitelist feature though so that Hulu ads push through, otherwise it just sits on a black screen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

Works quite nicely! Might have to fiddle with the whitelist feature though so that Hulu ads push through, otherwise it just sits on a black screen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

I had to add a few things here and there on my whitelist but other than that it works awesome.

No joy got tomato loaded but couldn't get internet to work? Maybe it was a little above my skill level? Oh well maybe I'll try again later.

I was using DDWRT as a repeater of my main router because of fringe areas in my house..until I figured out how to use that ubiquiti device and point it towards a wifi signal, then plug a router into it, and set-up another network ...the ping time between DD-WRT as repeater, and Ubiquiti shooting a network are major differences...

I was seeing some 100ms+ ping times with DD-WRT...and now it's down to 25-30ms. And speeds are excellent.

I have 2 individual DSL lines, so I run two separate networks, each with 2-3 routers...partly because I have a lot of people living here right now (helping out family that got in a bind)..and partly because i have so many things that draw on AT&T''s crappy DSL connection that they offer.

I'm just lucky, I guess that they offer it..but geez...6mbps down, .5mbps up...barely worth the price I pay, esp for 2 lines of it..but gotta have it.

No joy got tomato loaded but couldn't get internet to work? Maybe it was a little above my skill level? Oh well maybe I'll try again later.

Did you factory default after loading? Or erase nvram or whatever it is called.

What type of ISP service?

I bet he needs to assign manually the DNS and gateway...for some reason when I have customers that are on Charter, I have to do this for them when they need a router connected...DSL doesn't get so finicky..for some reason.

Usually I can do that, then put it back to Auto...and it'll work. But that first time, for some reason...