danialgoodwin

New Android Compiler in 4.4 = Much Faster Execution TImes

When you get your Nexus 5, you can drastically speed up your apps with Android's new virtual machine in 4.4. They are calling it Android Runtime (ART) and it's replacing the old Dalvik runtime.

Summary: Go to Settings->Developer options to change runtimes. With ART, apps may be up to twice as fast because it uses the Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compiler rather than Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler.

More info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06/meet-art-part-1-the-new-super-fast-android-runtime-google-has-been-working-on-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/

• Like 4

It's interesting how far we've come in software. In ages past, you'd have to precompile everything because it'd be too expensive to compile on install or on run. Now, compiling on install isn't so bad. Though when you do the initial switch from Dalvik (with its ODEX files) to ART (with its AOT files) things take awhile...

• Like 1

Used it for a day and battery life and general speed of the phone was greatly increased. Went back to dalvik d e to some app incompatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Used it for a day and battery life and general speed of the phone was greatly increased. Went back to dalvik d e to some app incompatibility.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Which apps were giving you problems?

Which apps were giving you problems?

Titanium Backup and Whatsapp mainly.

I had to enable my developer options.  It wasn't visible under the Settings menu.  I wonder if this is true for all Nexus 5's, or just because I am on an AT&T SIM card.  Either way, I'm now on ART.  And ARTy loves to pARTy!!!  :lol:

Robert

• Like 1

I had to enable my developer options.  It wasn't visible under the Settings menu.  I wonder if this is true for all Nexus 5's, or just because I am on an AT&T SIM card.  Either way, I'm now on ART.  And ARTy loves to pARTy!!!   :lol:

Robert

You've had to enable developer options on Android since either 4.1 or 4.2. 

If Android seeks "much faster execution times," the compiler should be called Texas.

:P

AJ

• Like 9

If Android seeks "much faster execution times," the compiler should be called Texas.

AJ

They need to be careful not to get too fast or they might get called "premature"

• Like 3

They need to be careful not to get too fast or they might get called "premature"

Are you saying that premature execution is a problem for men in Texas?

Not surprising coming from a Cornhusker. We know that you have envy issues with the those Longhorns.

AJ

• Like 3

Are you saying that premature execution is a problem for men in Texas?

Not surprising coming from a Cornhusker. We know that you have envy issues with the those Longhorns.

AJ

I'm not a Cornhusker. I come from the 712, not the 402.

I'm not a Cornhusker. I come from the 712, not the 402.

Right, an Iowan at heart. But do you not attend UNL? You may be risking yourself over your loyalty...

AJ

• Like 1

Right, an Iowan at heart. But do you not attend UNL? You may be risking yourself over your loyalty...

AJ

Nope, no UNL for me unless I decide I need more school and still live in the area.

I'm noticing a little better battery live using ART.  But it could just be placebo!

Robert

• Like 1

I'm noticing a little better battery live using ART. But it could just be placebo!

Robert

Well given that the majority of apps are not ART optimized and the framework itself is still probably buggy, I still say that ART is off to a good start thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Well given that the majority of apps are not ART optimized and the framework itself is still probably buggy, I still say that ART is off to a good start thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Are you using ART or good ole' Dalvik?

Are you using ART or good ole' Dalvik?

Unfortunately I have the LG G2 and we are still stuck on Android 4.2.2 so I don't have the option for ART anyways.  I'll be curious to see if LG will include the ART option in the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the G2 at some point in the future.  I would love to test it out.

• Like 1

Used to be at 30% when I left work, or lower, running Dalvik. Switched to ART yesterday - I'm about to go to bed now and it hasn't died yet. Would have been long gone by now on Dalvik. Huge real world difference for me!

• Like 1

Except you cant use sd cards.  Google sees them as a security risk.  Kinda sad if i say so that was another up android had over apple.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By Handyman
      Just installed the 8.1 update on my Pixel.  Still no Sprint Wi-Fi / LTE calling

But ... I did get the mandatory Google Search button added to my launcher.

• By mikejeep
      Hello all,

I have been visiting S4GRU for quite some time, and one of the most common issues I see popping up is confusion from users--especially when they first get 4G LTE devices and/or LTE service--regarding their signal strengths. For some reason, the signal bars on many devices do not display what most users expect them to display. It seems strange that we have to enter special dialer codes just to see what our LTE signal is!

With that in mind, I started creating an Android app from scratch. I had never created an app before, so it took a few months before it was ready for the public, but its time has come. Robert and a few others have been beta testing it for me since October, and I recently released it onto Google Play. Robert gave me the go-ahead to give it a mention here on S4GRU, so here goes..

It's called SignalCheck, and it is available on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Blue+Line+Computing

The "Lite" version is free; the "Pro" version has a small one-time fee but includes a bunch of extras, including signal bars in the notification area, a widget, the ability to alert a user when they pick up an LTE or 800 SMR signal, one-button instant connection reset, the street address of the connected 1X site, and menu shortcuts to some screens that are usually only accessible with dialer codes. I intend to offer S4GRU Premier Sponsors special benefits in the near future, as soon as I figure out a feasible way to do that.

This is the first app I have ever developed, so I'd appreciate any and all feedback, both positive and negative. I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible regarding cellular technologies, as I didn't know much before I started this project. My goal is to make this app as accurate and useful as possible for all the "nerds" on here.. myself included!

I intend to continue squashing bugs as they are reported, and adding features as they are requested. As I learn more about Android programming and cellular technology, I'll improve things. Please let me know what you would like to see, and I'll do what I can.

My "Beta Crew" helps test out the app before public updates are pushed out. Membership is by invite only but anyone is welcome to join in our discussions or get a sneak peek at what is going on (see thread here).

Links:  SignalCheck Help / FAQ  |  Change Log  |  To-Do "Wish" List  |  Known Issues  |  SignalCheck on Google Play

-Mike

Here are some screen shots from a previous version.. there have been tweaks since this release, but this is basically what you get:

• By danlodish345
      hey guys i m curious what you guys think about rooting phones and the positives and negatives about it.... let the discussion begin!
    • By JDP121
      Supposedly it will be released on all major carriers in Nov. We will def. see how this will play out. 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/18/blackberry-venice-android-phone-pops-up-in-a-few-more-promo-pics-courtesy-of-evleaks-allegedly-coming-to-all-carriers-in-november/

• By derrph
      With the FCC and Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon have agreed to this new unlocking policy. How does this effect sprint phones such as the IPhone. I have heard that Sprint can unlock your phone but you can not take it to other carriers such as Verizon and the IPhone can only be used overseas.  (Correct me if I am wrong). I am glad that this has finally happened. But when it comes to Sprint how would this work?
    • August security update out for Sprint version
    • I moved to TMobile two weeks ago. Service has been exemplary at my home. Cell one block away -95db signal usually 3 to 4 iPhone bars. Today I noticed the signal was much weaker. -110db 2 iPhone bars. I don’t see any crews at the cell site so I’m wondering if this is a temporary outage or did the cell get shut down. Is there any way to determine this? What’s weird also the cell I’m connecting to now is a mile away (versus a city block) and my Apple Watch still gets two dots signal strength. Does this sound reasonable for a 30 foot cell that far away which is LTE band 2 and 66 capable. With the exception of the watch I’ve been using cellmapper.net to determine the cells I’m using based on PCI numbers. 
    • At this moment I don't know a single person with a tmobile line.😪
    • That is a nice perk. Btw you can just use anyone's T-mobile number to get it. Nothing ever gets sent to the number. I have a few friends with T-Mobile so I just pick one of their numbers when I need to use it. I'm pretty sure it only works for like an hour or so though? Or at least I remember there being some sort of time limit the last time I used it (or possibly I had two flights and it only works on one flight a day?) Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    • *nods* I hope T-Mobile isn't working in an "Act Now, Apologize Later" mode... I could see that biting them in the you-know-what.