HTC M8/New Flagship

Paynefanbro

I will say that it is nice being able to zoom into a photo on the Nexus 5 and it not be super blurry or pixelated. I did enjoy the camera on the One though. But it's a little too behind in terms of megapixel count (which I know is not the case for picture quality). Hopefully they can do something by where they keep the large pixels, but maybe give us an 8 MP camera...? Hopefully? Right?

-Luis

The problem is that with 2um pixel size the sensor would have to be a lot bigger if they wanted to keep that and use anything larger than 4 megapixels.  The sensor on the phones like the gs4 for example are the same size as the one on the One but those pixels are smaller at 1.1um so they can fit more pixels in the same space which is fine when there is sufficient light but creates a lot of noise in low light situation because each pixel just cant get enough light.  Its a trade off no matter which way they go.

I will say that it is nice being able to zoom into a photo on the Nexus 5 and it not be super blurry or pixelated. I did enjoy the camera on the One though. But it's a little too behind in terms of megapixel count (which I know is not the case for picture quality). Hopefully they can do something by where they keep the large pixels, but maybe give us an 8 MP camera...? Hopefully? Right?

-Luis

8mp is approximately the size of a 4k screen, so a 4mp image is about half that size.  The point of the mp is to allow for larger prints.  since most people don't view anything really above 1080p, 4mp is perfectly fine.  the "zoom" function on any cell phone camera is really just a cropping function.  I'll take the full shot and edit it later on the computer if i need to.

As long as we get what we have now in the One, plus better RF performance, it should be a great phone.

• Like 1

I am so ready for this phone. And with a March release date, it should come out just after my upgrade. The Sense 5 update which is supposed to come out on the EVO within the next couple of weeks should hold me until then.

I am so ready for this phone. And with a March release date, it should come out just after my upgrade. The Sense 5 update which is supposed to come out on the EVO within the next couple of weeks should hold me until then.

Upgrade?  Probably not.  Subsidized upgrades are reported to be gone by the end of next month.  But if you mean that your contract will have expired, then you will likely need to switch to a Framily plan and pay full price or use Easy Pay.

AJ

Upgrade? Probably not. Subsidized upgrades are reported to be gone by the end of next month. But if you mean that your contract will have expired, then you will likely need to switch to a Framily plan and pay full price or use Easy Pay.

AJ

Seriously? I'll have two upgrades available by the end of next month.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Upgrade? Probably not. Subsidized upgrades are reported to be gone by the end of next month. But if you mean that your contract will have expired, then you will likely need to switch to a Framily plan and pay full price or use Easy Pay.

AJ

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ya....I have one upgrade that I am sitting on myself.

Also, do you mean that if your contract has expired, and want a new phone you have to go under a Framily plans?

I mean, looking at it, I don't know enough people get to switch to Sprint to make it worth it to me.

Nothing has been announced officially, but our resident Sprint employees are telling us that equipment subsidies are coming to an end very soon.

Now, if your current upgrade eligibility occurs after the transition date, it simply means that you have finished paying down your previous subsidy.  The mistake people make is thinking that they have paid or "earned" future subsidy.  However, that is incorrect.  

So, once equipment subsidies have been retired, you will no longer be able to use subsidized upgrades.  But you will be able to switch to a Framily plan and purchase devices outright or use Easy Pay.

AJ

• Like 1

Nothing has been announced officially, but our resident Sprint employees are telling us that equipment subsidies are coming to an end very soon.

Now, if your current upgrade eligibility occurs after the transition date, it simply means that you have finished paying down your previous subsidy.  The mistake people make is thinking that they have paid or "earned" future subsidy.  However, that is incorrect.  

So, once equipment subsidies have been retired, you will no longer be able to use subsidized upgrades.  But you will be able to switch to a Framily plan and purchase devices outright or use Easy Pay.

AJ

I think it is a great idea.  Why continue to pay more on your account if you don't want to upgrade. My parents have two upgrades available to them. They don't want to.  So my bill reflects subsidies that we should not be paying for. Anyways, if the HTC has triband (assumption would be yes), I would gladly do Sprint Easy Pay.

Ya....I have one upgrade that I am sitting on myself.

Also, do you mean that if your contract has expired, and want a new phone you have to go under a Framily plans?

Post this in the Framily discussion thread, and one of our Sprint or third party employees will probably chime in with a definitive answer.

But as I understand it, this is currently a transition period.  Subsidized upgrade prices are no longer listed, so you must inquire about those.  Additionally, if you are out of contract and opt to use a subsidized upgrade, you may not be able to keep your current plan.  Instead, you may be required to switch to Framily and pay the $15 per month subsidized upgrade fee.

AJ

I think it is a great idea.  Why continue to pay more on your account if you don't want to upgrade. My parents have two upgrades available to them. They don't want to.  So my bill reflects subsidies that we should not be paying for.

Right.  The elimination of subsidies included in monthly plan costs is a better deal for those who upgrade only every 3-4 years or those -- like Robert and myself -- who upgrade at least once a year.  For those who upgrade every two years on the dot, it may be a wash or even a worse bargain.  Regardless, the new system provides greater flexibility and money saving opportunities.

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

So in other words, they're just discontinuing the Everything 1500/700 plans?

So in other words, they're just discontinuing the Everything 1500/700 plans?

Yes, those plans include subsidies.  According to insider reports, all plans with subsidies are being discontinued.

AJ

Upgrade?  Probably not.  Subsidized upgrades are reported to be gone by the end of next month.  But if you mean that your contract will have expired, then you will likely need to switch to a Framily plan and pay full price or use Easy Pay.

AJ

Fine with me, I don't have a problem with it.

Right.  The elimination of subsidies included in monthly plan costs is a better deal for those who upgrade only every 3-4 years or those -- like Robert and myself -- who upgrade at least once a year.  For those who upgrade every two years on the dot, it may be a wash or even a worse bargain.  Regardless, the new system provides greater flexibility and money saving opportunities.

AJ

This is going to end up costing me way more than it is now. I may have to forgo the M8 and go with the Nexus 5 since I presently have an upgrade available.

• Like 1

AJ

And heres another thought....for those who like to upgrade every year or so...

you know how you still pay $200ish for a subsidized phone?? Just put that as your down payment, then your monthly is cheaper + you get enough for Framily $25...its cheaper all the way around.....

I think I am going to be switching my Corp acct to a personal and jump to framily...makes more sense...

of the 5 that have unlimited data...only i go over the 1GB range....so why am i paying $30 per for that???

Yes, those plans include subsidies.  According to insider reports, all plans with subsidies are being discontinued.

AJ

I am ok with going to the non subsidy model. What I don't like is losing my upgrade at the end of my contract or being forced to use it in short order.

I am ok with going to the non subsidy model. What I don't like is losing my upgrade at the end of my contract or being forced to use it in short order.

As I have stated previously, you may initially think that you are "losing" your upgrade at the end of your contract.  But that is not accurate.  A subsidized upgrade is not earned from the past -- it is paid down over time in the future.  So, any subsidized upgrade strikes the beginning of a new contract.  But Sprint is doing away with contracts, hence doing away with subsidies.

AJ

As I have stated previously, you may initially think that you are "losing" your upgrade at the end of your contract.  But that is not accurate.  A subsidized upgrade is not earned from the past -- it is paid down over time in the future.  So, any subsidized upgrade strikes the beginning of a new contract.  But Sprint is doing away with contracts, hence doing away with subsidies.

AJ

On that instance AJ, then does that mean more manufacturers will also do some form of financing/easy-pay as well as a decrease in the overall price of the phone?

On that instance AJ, then does that mean more manufacturers will also do some form of financing/easy-pay as well as a decrease in the overall price of the phone?

That remains to be seen.  But many of us believe that the end of equipment subsidies will eventually bring down the prices on handsets because of true retail competition.

AJ

• Like 2

That remains to be seen.  But many of us believe that the end of equipment subsidies will eventually bring down the prices on handsets because of true retail competition.

AJ

This would help since the manufacturer could then cut out the middleman. This first step would cut down the price.  Next would be the steps that google has taken. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Maybe they will do the same thing that HTC did with the continued credits for turning in old phones.

AJ

That is true. However, it still creates a use it or lose it situation. Those of us with upgrades are faced with the decision to either use our upgrade in short order or opt for the easy pay route which increases the amount of money we pay on a month to month basis or you can just stay with your old phone.

AJ

And I think i remember reading that those who wanted to switch over from a 2 yr contract with device subsidy would have to pay $15 per month until their contract would have ended if they switch to Framily. This only further backs your point.

And heres another thought....for those who like to upgrade every year or so...

you know how you still pay $200ish for a subsidized phone?? Just put that as your down payment, then your monthly is cheaper + you get enough for Framily $25...its cheaper all the way around.....

I think I am going to be switching my Corp acct to a personal and jump to framily...makes more sense...

of the 5 that have unlimited data...only i go over the 1GB range....so why am i paying $30 per for that???

Still hate it..

What i pay now $59

non subsidized phone + Framily $25 (with 7+ people) I use 5+ Gb of data so i need unlimited $20(data) + $11(insurence) + $20(moto x) = $76

NOW    -    $59

FRAMILY - $76

Im really glad that the HTC one is the best phone i have ever had. If this does not change i will just be keeping what i have now, even if the M8 is better :P

Still hate it..

What i pay now $59

non subsidized phone + Framily $25 (with 7+ people) I use 5+ Gb of data so i need unlimited $20(data) + $11(insurence) + $20(moto x) = $76

NOW    -    $59

FRAMILY - $76

Im really glad that the HTC one is the best phone i have ever had. If this does not change i will just be keeping what i have now, even if the M8 is better :P

so then pay for the unlimited....insurance??? really a waste in my opinion

and it sounds like you have a phone with the HTC...

other wise...(assuming you have the 7) 

$25+20+what ever phone cost...so maybe $65 for unlimited....OR

like i said...put the normal upfront cost you would do with a subsidized phone...say 200, and then its closer to $10...or 55...

I have 4 out of 5 that i am paying the 30 unlimited plan for that barley maybe use 1gb.....so for me no brainer...

so yes....different strokes for different folks