Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

It seems that, after looking at the map, I haven't been able to connect to LTE on either 3G/4G or 4G only towers. So far, I have only seen LTE at my house and my wife had it inside the Avenues Mall and inside Tijuana Flats on the south side of Jacksonville.

From what it sounds like in non-incumbent markets, non-SVLTE devices cannot connect to 4G only sites. And in Incumbent markets we are not able to connect to 3G/4G sites. Seems very odd.

• Like 2

Is there a list of eCSFB vs. CSFB devices?  I assume all the triband LTE devices are considered eCSFB devices and all single band LTE devices which seem to all have SVLTE support are considered CSFB devices?

No doubt that sprint will be putting fire under the asses of the nv vendors....

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You can already sort of tell based off of the list. I oversee the local maps for Iowa and Nebraska and we've seen a huge uptick of activity over the past month on sites in progress. East Iowa had a mass acceptance that basically made the entire market NV 3G accepted. Other non-incumbent markets on the the list like Milwaukee, Idaho, etc. have also seen mass acceptances recently.

From what it sounds like in non-incumbent markets, non-SVLTE devices cannot connect to 4G only sites. And in Incumbent markets we are not able to connect to 3G/4G sites. Seems very odd.

Not sure if the bold part is accurate. The Sprint document says:

• Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
  • Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.

... which doesn't seem to indicate incumbent markets will have issues.

Not sure if the bold part is accurate. The Sprint document says:

... which doesn't seem to indicate incumbent market people should have issues.

I assume you mean shouldn't and I hope that is correct. But cornelious can't connect to yellow sites.

I assume you mean shouldn't and I hope that is correct. But cornelious can't connect to yellow sites.

Was that in STL? Starting to have trouble keeping track of all the reports of issues.

Also, Robert said:

Markets that have NV 3G complete will be fine on Triband LTE devices.

Was that in STL? Starting to have trouble keeping track of all the reports of issues.

Ya, he couldnt connect to 2 of them in St. Charles Co. Once I get mine in the mail I will do extensive testing on multiple different sites.

• Like 1

Wow big leap in 3G accepted sites in my market (West Washington) since the last time I checked the maps.

My personal experience coincides with what the internal document I posted in the Nexus 5 forum states.

On both my Nexus 5 and LG G2, LTE disappears once I am north of where the 3G/4G sites end and the 4G only sites begin.

This isn't scientific, but is hard to ignore.

I feel confident that the issue is related to non-incumbent markets with spotty 3G acceptance sites.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Black Nexus 5 32gb, google play store model.

My LTE does not work in the purple areas of the SF bay market. The areas I have tested are San Francisco, Oakland, and Daily City.

LTE works fine in yellow and green areas, like Moutian View, Palo Alto, San Mateo, Richmond, Pinole, Vallejo, and Benicia.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow big leap in 3G accepted sites in my market (West Washington) since the last time I checked the maps. My personal experience coincides with what the internal document I posted in the Nexus 5 forum states. On both my Nexus 5 and LG G2, LTE disappears once I am north of where the 3G/4G sites end and the 4G only sites begin. This isn't scientific, but is hard to ignore. I feel confident that the issue is related to non-incumbent markets with spotty 3G acceptance sites. Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

If once confirmed by many members in this forum that live in these non-incumbent NV areas and can't get LTE on 4G only sites, S4GRU should do a PSA for those confused about the situation so this forum doesn't get bombarded by the same questions.

Hopefully never but Sprint absolutely has to get it working in areas that have officailly launched.  The areas that haven't launched with people using LTE right now can complain but really the LTE isn't official yet so there isn't much we can do about that even though it doesn't seem "fair". 

When you have a old phone that was using LTE 3 days ago and you bought a new phone to get better reception (better than the evo lte) and you now get NO LTE it's more than "fair" for them to take in back.  Lawsuit is pushing it a bit. 

• Like 1

Nexus 5, 32 GB

In DC area, my home, great LTE performance where complete

In Harrisburg, PA area no LTE, no 3g and always showed 1x only

In Syracuse, NY, 3g with some good LTE where it is turned on so far

I have not modified phone in any way

Where i live, i have a 3g/4g site, and a 3g/800/4g site that i connect to. And i cant get 4g out of either. Im in the orlando market which is incumbent. Should be good, but is no bueno...

Bronx NY, 10463 Nexus 5,bands 41/26 enabled....
Initially only had hand off issues now can't connect to LTE tower at all besides one. Network drops down to 3g ev-do stays there unless I explicitly force LTE only!connects to only one site which happens to be closet to the south of my apt. Walk to the kitchen which faces west drops that cell site before it would stay connected! But the one site services the whole area in my experience walking around so I am not understanding it holding in one spot and losing the air interface in another.

EDIT UPDATE: DisableD 41/26 sent a network activation reset moved about my apt and I can guess one site has stopped broadcasting completely and when i see which ID it is picking up. If I still only go LTE it will pick up the site but not when I am 1x 3G to LTE mode...

UPDATE #2: Mothers LG Optimus G single band is having none of these issues I am experiencing!

Edited by transitwatch889

Does anyone know if the Novatel MiFi 500 Tri-Band is having the same LTE issues in a market that has Both Bands active?

No, it works fine on all towers here in Kansas city, even back when we had tons of 4g only towers. Connects to band 25 and 41 LTE, as well as evdo without any problems.

Does anyone know if the Novatel MiFi 500 Tri-Band is having the same LTE issues in a market that has Both Bands active?

I think this only effects tri-band phones as it needs to fall back to 1x for the phone call. Hotspots are data only so hard handoffs are ok.

No, it works fine on all towers here in Kansas city, even back when we had tons of 4g only towers. Connects to band 25 and 41 LTE, as well as evdo without any problems.

ok, How are the up and down speeds?

ok, How are the up and down speeds?

Not the best place for the mifi discussion, but average of 15 down/7 up on band 25, 30 down/15 up on band 41. Highest speed test I've done (tethered) on B41 was 57 down. Its been speculated before that they are using old clearwire backhaul that hasn't been upgraded.

• Like 1

Nexus 5, Oklahoma City which is incumbent market, no LTE at yellow sites

It's believed that a site with NV 3G accepted (a yellow or green site) that will not allow a Triband LTE device to connect is just in need of a software update. This is why some people report their LTE all of a sudden works. So maybe your site will be recitifed soon.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

It's believed that a site with NV 3G accepted (a yellow or green site) that will not allow a Triband LTE device to connect is just in need of a software update. This is why some people report their LTE all of a sudden works. So maybe your site will be recitifed soon.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Here's to hoping you're correct.