My rambling's and things I find...

mhammett

How likely is it that Sprint will use more than three antennas per sector? I have seen three per sector before. My reason for asking is entirely selfish. If they won't go more than three (I've seen four or more for other carriers), then I can potentially locate antenna between their existing antenna and leave the extra pipe for them if they ever add another sector.

Well, how dense do things have to get for them to even add the third? Where I remember seeing the third was at a state university, but that was before they added another whole site a half mile away, so those additional sectors may not even be required anymore.

I guess if the third antenna is a very remote possibility...  I'll just use the existing!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kkkxs7lzmjmo24f/AABpWsh63RDBxsgVpKUUP3Pza?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eaoac4ub91xnc8a/Screenshot_2015-08-20-07-28-47.png?dl=0

Another waste of time....

I tried to report improper downtilt yielding in me losing LTE at the cell edge, which is much closer than it should be. Their proposal was to turn off LTE altogether.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

A friend of mine works for a local ISP here in the lima area and they use WiMax and have 8 sectors on each tower. they supply TV and internet. i think i saw it said it was at 3.5GHz?

3.5 isn't yet available for use, but it could have been 3650 - 3700, which may use the same equipment. There are several WiMax vendors in that space.

3.5 isn't yet available for use, but it could have been 3650 - 3700, which may use the same equipment. There are several WiMax vendors in that space.

yeahhh 3.65GHz is what i read. it gets like the same range as sprints B41 (or slightly better) from the maps i saw. i thought it was kinda weird. 

also sorry this is offtopic as hell.

Not off topic for this thread. It would get similar range as 2.5 GHz as the client antennas have significantly more gain. Otherwise, its be worse given that 3650 is a 50% higher frequency than 2500.

The most promising products in that band are Telrad's LTE and Cambium 450. Well, I guess Ubiquiti's AF3x is now available.

it would be great if they dumped WiMax and switched to the latest rev of 4G. they offer fiber to businesses in the area so its pretty easy to say they could offer the increased speeds the better technology would allow.

• 2 weeks later...

it would be great if they dumped WiMax and switched to the latest rev of 4G. they offer fiber to businesses in the area so its pretty easy to say they could offer the increased speeds the better technology would allow.

That's about $30k per tower and presently doesn't offer enough speed increase to be worth it, IMHO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a "prl" wont necessarily give you more then dial-up speeds. As is though, if your on the latest prl, you should have evdo-roaming on us cellular already. Only case i can think of if your stuck on 1x from us cellular is if the site is contested already. 

The last time I went into USCC area and didn't get anything useful, I was told it was because I didn't have a PRL that allowed better. Maybe I'm misremembering or maybe things changed since then? I don't remember having EVDO at the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Check out this update from Omar

Looks like Mobilitie put up brand new wood poles in the public right of way (next to streets/sidewalks) in an East Coast city; likely for Sprint Small Cells.

I'm hard pressed to see this being approved in a lot of other cities/counties. Especially brand new wooden poles right in front of homes.

Appears to be bulky battery cabinets on the ground, an Airspan UE unit (no fiber backhaul), & a Nokia FlexiZone connected 2 a single Omni antennas.

Looks like Mobilitie is requesting permits in Salem, MA

https://lnkd.in/bfZHxV9 show less

Original Post: https://www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6091482756766781441

Sent from LinkedIn for Android

Any idea if that is for Sprint?

Check out this update from Omar

Looks like Mobilitie put up brand new wood poles in the public right of way (next to streets/sidewalks) in an East Coast city; likely for Sprint Small Cells.

I'm hard pressed to see this being approved in a lot of other cities/counties. Especially brand new wooden poles right in front of homes.

Appears to be bulky battery cabinets on the ground, an Airspan UE unit (no fiber backhaul), & a Nokia FlexiZone connected 2 a single Omni antennas.

Looks like Mobilitie is requesting permits in Salem, MA

https://lnkd.in/bfZHxV9 show less

Original Post: https://www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6091482756766781441

Sent from LinkedIn for Android

Any idea if that is for Sprint?

Could be. Depends on what "east coast city" the picture is from but Nokia is a huge proponent of small cells and their Nokia FlexiZone deployment is much anticipated. 

ALU land has has the option of Alcatel-Lucents on B41 MCO or AirSpans own B41 portfolio (AirHarmony / AirSynergy). AirSpan has worked with Sprint on small cell stuff for years alongside ALU so I doubt they'll just let Nokia walts in. 

Yep it's sprint. Found a zoning permit with the same exact setup for Sprint small cell with standard Boston market cascade ID (BS90XC###). 

Looks pretty innocuous.  My city has thousands of wooden poles, most taller and more visibly annoying.  The issue that a lot of cities will have is they have to prohibit all utility companies equally from having wooden utility poles.  And many cities do indeed have buried utility requirements.  But this is more often an issue in Western suburban communities, that are relatively new.  Older cities, especially on the East Coast, have really old above ground utility infrastructure.  Just like these wooden poles.

And I would recommend that Sprint and their partners, like Mobilitie, work out deals to colocate on existing utility poles and easements.  If they can jump on many utility franchise agreements with cities, they may be able to skip the planning/approval and possibly even building permit requirements.