LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I was playing around last night with RootMetrics, Sensorly, Open signal I came across something very weird/ interesting?

First of all, Boost mobile uses 100% of Sprint's towers correct? Not shared with another company? (Other than roaming obviously).

My observation is, I was looking at the mapping for Sprint and is very weak and many parts blank... Just for fun I switched to Boost thinking it was going going to be identical. Nope! Other than customer mapping, can anyone care to explain why Boost shows amazing coverage over Sprint "parent" company? See attached pics.

The difference is ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How do other prepaid carriers and their postpaid counterparts compare?

I was playing around last night with RootMetrics, Sensorly, Open signal I came across something very weird/ interesting?

First of all, Boost mobile uses 100% of Sprint's towers correct? Not shared with another company? (Other than roaming obviously).

My observation is, I was looking at the mapping for Sprint and is very weak and many parts blank... Just for fun I switched to Boost thinking it was going going to be identical. Nope! Other than customer mapping, can anyone care to explain why Boost shows amazing coverage over Sprint "parent" company? See attached pics.

The difference is ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That's super messed up.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Nexus 5X up and running. Just from my house with my old phone was getting about 4/1 on 4g. On my 5x I'm getting about 40/10 on 4g now. Yes, 10 times faster with Carrier Aggregation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by SeriesOfTubes
  • Like 3

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but my signal has become marginally worse. There is no B25, 3G or 1x at my house and there is no B26 in Seattle but I get B41 from a nearby clearwire conversion. My signal has gone from -108 to -114 to more like -114 to -120…maybe they're doing work on the tower?

I'm not sure if I'm the only one

Why even write this? 

but my signal has become marginally worse. There is no B25, 3G or 1x at my house and there is no B26 in Seattle but I get B41 from a nearby clearwire conversion. My signal has gone from -108 to -114 to more like -114 to -120…maybe they're doing work on the tower?

No 3G? No 1x? Are you exaggerating? You probably shouldn't have Sprint if that's true unless you've had an Airave in the past, or are using WiFi calling.

Why even write this? 

No 3G? No 1x? Are you exaggerating? You probably shouldn't have Sprint if that's true unless you've had an Airave in the past, or are using WiFi calling.

I have an airave.  If I turn it off and disable LTE, I get numbers north of -100 1x and rarely 3G and sometimes no service.  Airave and Wi-Fi Calling to call and SMS goes over LTE I think.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one but my signal has become marginally worse. There is no B25, 3G or 1x at my house and there is no B26 in Seattle but I get B41 from a nearby clearwire conversion. My signal has gone from -108 to -114 to more like -114 to -120…maybe they're doing work on the tower?

Where around Seattle are you?

East side of Lake Washington*.  I was half asleep when I wrote that sorry lol.

Good.  We would expect a Seattle person to be living on the east side of Puget Sound.  If not, you would be on the Olympic Peninsula, and all bets are off for Sprint coverage -- or any wireless coverage, for that matter.

AJ

• Like 1

Over the past 6 months, I have noticed that Sprint has been tweaking their network and how it balances the load on its bands. My phone used to idle on band 25, but at the start of data sessions, my phone would go to band 26. Then 4 months ago, I started to hang out on band 25 a lot more and would only go to band 26 if my data session required a heavy amount of data (video) or if I bugged the network too much for data.

Now as of this month, I've noticed that my phone has rarely gone to band 26. The only time I see it now is after phone calls, but even then it's for a short time (5-10 seconds). If I start a constant stream on band 26, the network will not hesitate to move me up to band 25 during the stream. I've seen the phone switch bands before during active data sessions, but only downwards (2600>1900>800). Now that's no longer the case. My phone will move from band 26 to band 25 while a data session is in session. Load balancing has finally been implemented in (some parts of) SE Texas and it just works. It has been long overdue!

• Like 8

Does anyone know why the Enhanced LTE seems a lot more widespread than regular LTE in California?

attachicon.gifimage.pngattachicon.gifimage.png

I noticed that as well, especially for OC/LA areas. I think they making Enhanced LTE default if both are in that area and showing regular LTE if there's no Enhanced. Carrier coverage maps are notorious for exaggerating their coverage to market their service better. There are some spots in OC were LTE doesn't reach but you won't find those small gaps on their coverage map.

• Like 1

Over the past 6 months, I have noticed that Sprint has been tweaking their network and how it balances the load on its bands. My phone used to idle on band 25, but at the start of data sessions, my phone would go to band 26. Then 4 months ago, I started to hang out on band 25 a lot more and would only go to band 26 if my data session required a heavy amount of data (video) or if I bugged the network too much for data.

Now as of this month, I've noticed that my phone has rarely gone to band 26. The only time I see it now is after phone calls, but even then it's for a short time (5-10 seconds). If I start a constant stream on band 26, the network will not hesitate to move me up to band 25 during the stream. I've seen the phone switch bands before during active data sessions, but only downwards (2600>1900>800). Now that's no longer the case. My phone will move from band 26 to band 25 while a data session is in session. Load balancing has finally been implemented in (some parts of) SE Texas and it just works. It has been long overdue!

Same experience in Louisiana. I suspect much of it is possible due to the improved performance of the RRUS 31 in Ericsson land.

I noticed that as well, especially for OC/LA areas. I think they making Enhanced LTE default if both are in that area and showing regular LTE if there's no Enhanced. Carrier coverage maps are notorious for exaggerating their coverage to market their service better. There are some spots in OC were LTE doesn't reach but you won't find those small gaps on their coverage map.

The thing is, with the map update, enhanced is not shown as default - regular LTE is...

• Like 1

That is awesome! my area (southern WI) has slowly been evolving like this, it seems tower by tower.  nothing worse than being stuck on slow band 26 when you know your in range of band 25 (can see the tower a block away).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates for the Birmingham, AL area for "LTE +"? SoLINC has LTE Live on SMR so I assume it's only a matter of time before LTE roaming is live. But we have a good amount of SMR/PCS here on Sprint for LTE and 1X but 5X5 can only go so far. Looking forward to B41!!