LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

No, VoLTE won't be implemented for a while, probably not until NGN has made significant progress. If Sprint deployed VoLTE right now their dropped/blocked call rate would skyrocket.

Can sprint make their VoLTE seamlessly hand off to CDMA for voice calls? Then you wouldn't have the dropped call issues and you'd hopefully free enough carriers for another B25 carrier.

Can sprint make their VoLTE seamlessly hand off to CDMA for voice calls? Then you wouldn't have the dropped call issues and you'd hopefully free enough carriers for another B25 carrier.

No, because the success rate is something like 60% (maybe higher, Tim can confirm). Sprint is the only CDMA carrier attempting to implement SVRCC for VoLTE to CDMA. Verizon skipped it because of the poor success rates, so Verizon VoLTE will drop calls if LTE drops.

No, because the success rate is something like 60% (maybe higher, Tim can confirm). Sprint is the only CDMA carrier attempting to implement SVRCC for VoLTE to CDMA. Verizon skipped it because of the poor success rates, so Verizon VoLTE will drop calls if LTE drops.

Is that any reason that verizon wouldnt do it. 60% drop rate is better than 100% drop rate

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Is that any reason that verizon wouldnt do it. 60% drop rate is better than 100% drop rate

Because people would leave in droves if just over half of their calls were getting dropped when they left an LTE area. It's way too unreliable for commercial deployment.

• Like 3

SVRCC/eSVRCC for CDMA wasn't deployment ready when Verizon started on VoLTE and it still isn't. There are numerous technical issues that need to be resolved.

Sprint's LTE coverage isn't mature enough to handle VoLTE without a fallback without causing a huge increase in dropped calls, and that would be hugely detrimental to the customer experience.

Because people would leave in droves if just over half of their calls were getting dropped when they left an let area. It's way too unreliable for commercial deployment.

Good point. I guess it would be better to know ur call wont work in a certain area then having to hope the call wont drop

• Like 1

Sprint's CDMA is really good at handling calls. I am in no hurry to use VoLTE.

Sent from my Note 4

Yes, You nailed it.   CDMA works almost perfect.  VOLTE probably will not at least in some areas.  If they can be positive that the call will fallback to CDMA without dropping, then VOLTE should be considered.

• Like 5

Yes, You nailed it. CDMA works almost perfect. VOLTE probably will not at least in some areas. If they can be positive that the call will fallback to CDMA without dropping, then VOLTE should be considered.

Agreed! No dropped calls in the handoff needs to be the requirement before moving to VoLTE.
  • Like 1

I don't mind CDMA for voice calls, but having simultaneous data while on a call is amazing.

It's funny but as someone who has used Sprint for over 14 years, I never came across a time where I needed sim-voice/data. Perhaps its my usage, but for those who have been around for a while, it's not like we expected it to come eventually.

• Like 7

It's funny but as someone who has used Sprint for over 14 years, I never came across a time where I needed sim-voice/data. Perhaps its my usage, but for those who have been around for a while, it's not like we expected it to come eventually.

Same here.  I've never needed simultaneous voice/data.  I've been with Sprint for about 10 yrs.

• Like 1

I was on the phone talking with my mother to see if she wanted to meet us at dinner. Thing is, I didn't know what Olive Gardens hours were. I pulled it up while I was on the call and got the hours right then and there. Took like 5 seconds. Whereas with Sprint, you'd have to hang up, look it up, then call/text back. It's just inconvenient. It's not the end of the world to not have it, but if I had the option of having it vs not having it, I'd take it. Also kind of stale when you know the other 3 operators have it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 2

I don't mind CDMA for voice calls, but having simultaneous data while on a call is amazing.

Also kind of stale when you know the other 3 operators have it.

I think you know this, but it is technically true that Sprint supports simultaneous voice and data.  However, your handset does not support it. Now that Sprint is deploying band 25 second carriers -- some even 10 MHz FDD -- those who miss simultaneous voice and data may want to consider going back to older SVLTE handsets.

AJ

• Like 1

I think you know this, but it is technically true that Sprint supports simultaneous voice and data. However, your handset does not support it. Now that Sprint is deploying band 25 second carriers -- some even 10 MHz FDD -- those who miss simultaneous voice and data may want to consider going back to older SVLTE handsets.

AJ

True, but then you lose the functionality of the other 2/3rds of the network.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 3

I was on the phone talking with my mother to see if she wanted to meet us at dinner. Thing is, I didn't know what Olive Gardens hours were. I pulled it up while I was on the call and got the hours right then and there. Took like 5 seconds. Whereas with Sprint, you'd have to hang up, look it up, then call/text back. It's just inconvenient. It's not the end of the world to not have it, but if I had the option of having it vs not having it, I'd take it. Also kind of stale when you know the other 3 operators have it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It makes sense, don't get me wrong, guess what I'm saying is as a Sprint customer, I'm conditioned to work a certain way with my devices. No different than Verizon and AT&T customers I know that constantly ask me for my WIFI password when at my house.

• Like 3

If i recall correctly, the HTC Evo 4G LTE and Galaxy SIII both supported voice and data simultaneously. I had the Evo for a year and only used both at the same time once, and that was to just to see if it did. I've never needed both at the same time.

If i recall correctly, the HTC Evo 4G LTE and Galaxy SIII both supported voice and data simultaneously. I had the Evo for a year and only used both at the same time once, and that was to just to see if it did. I've never needed both at the same time.

Those handsets supported both SVDO and SVLTE.  Later handsets supported only SVLTE.  Tri band, single RF path handsets support neither.

AJ

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound crazy. I like not having simultaneous voice and data. I had a really bad habit of talking to my wife on speakerphone and browsing the web at the same time while driving 45mins from work to home.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

I don't think the call experience would be as bad as people think if they had volte deployed. I used to leave my nexus 5 in lte only mode and exclusively used hangouts calling and never had any real problems.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I mostly agree with you but there is one huge exception that gets me all the time and it is obtaining the traffic feed in Google Navigation while I'm on a conference call. That is the reason that I carry a Verizon mifi.
  • Like 1