LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I know you guys get pissy about Sprint LTE performance. But ATT can be an LTE dog in many places. This is inside my office on B17 5MHz channel.

apyha9a6.jpg

It's just getting worse and worse. When it was fired up on August 28th, ran about 3Mbps. And it just gets slower and slower. AT&T also deployed a 10MHz B4 channel on 3 sites, but not this one. Where they have done that, both the B4 and B17 run well. But the B17 only sites are dog slow. Too many customers for a 5MHz channel.

The reason why I bring it up here is that when they add one B4 10MHz channel, performance increases for everyone. Kind of like how Sprint B41 does. When each B41 20MHz channel gets fired up, it will allow the remaining 5MHz channel(s) to be used for distance and penetration only. And then everyone wins.

Now to get AT&T back here to install more B4 carriers. They can start with my work site. Maybe I could get off this VZW backup hotspot if they did!

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 16

T-Mobile also inherited ~6000 DAS sites from Metro PCS, which heavily relied on them in many metro areas. I don't think the other operators, at least Sprint and old T-Mobile, have anywhere close to that number of DASes.

Edited by CaptainSlow

T-Mobile also inherited ~6000 DAS sites from Metro PCS, which heavily relied on them in many metro areas. I don't think the other operators, at least Sprint and old T-Mobile, have anywhere close to that number of DASes.

I see them a lot on light poles and such in NYC. I always thought they were weird boxes until I decided to check a friend of mine's Metro phone near one and saw his signal, (before they "switched" to GSM).

Any idea of the priority markets for ACLU?

Certainly Washington DC for sure to make sure Congress knows to not infringe on the rights of the people. Then possibly the state capitols.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Fear not people...In a quote from Bloomberg....Speaking of the Spark Rollout...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-11/sprint-to-focus-denser-spark-coverage-on-3-to-5-initial-cities.html

So can this be interpreted that there will be 33,000 sites updated to 8t8r or just the urban centers/heavily congested sites thereby leaving the more rural sites 8t8r-less?

I know you guys get pissy about Sprint LTE performance. But ATT can be an LTE dog in many places. This is inside my office on B17 5MHz channel.

apyha9a6.jpg

It's just getting worse and worse. When it was fired up on August 28th, ran about 3Mbps. And it just gets slower and slower. AT&T also deployed a 10MHz B4 channel on 3 sites, but not this one. Where they have done that, both the B4 and B17 run well. But the B17 only sites are dog slow. Too many customers for a 5MHz channel.

The reason why I bring it up here is that when they add one B4 10MHz channel, performance increases for everyone. Kind of like how Sprint B41 does. When each B41 20MHz channel gets fired up, it will allow the remaining 5MHz channel(s) to be used for distance and penetration only. And then everyone wins.

Now to get AT&T back here to install more B4 carriers. They can start with my work site. Maybe I could get off this VZW backup hotspot if they did!

Here, Here .... Verizon's 700 mhz here in NYC is Sh*t

Screenshot_2014-09-18-11-40-24.png

• Like 3

How many users does it take to saturate or use to capacity a band 41 site?

There is no way to answer the question.  Each user burden the sector differently based on what they're doing.  Hundreds could sit on the site idle.  It just depends on what they all are doing.

Oh I know, but in some areas it does well. Those are few and far between. In my neighborhood, speeds are high at about 20Mbps.

In midtown its pretty sh*ty i(between .20k to 1mb during peak times) residential it does better, but rarely above 5 or 10mb sec. But of course AWS helps mitigate that.

700 MHz for Verizon is bad here.

I live in a town with 5700 people. Of course, it doesn't help that everyone here is on Big Red. Almost no one has AT&T. I know no one with either Sprint or T-Mobile.

There is no way to answer the question.  Each user burden the sector differently based on what they're doing.  Hundreds could sit on the site idle.  It just depends on what they all are doing.

would it change at all if we said surfing the net? No video or music... It should be a lot more ppl than it takes to saturate a band 25 site right?

would it change at all if we said surfing the net? No video or music... It should be a lot more ppl than it takes to saturate a band 25 site right?

Still a lot of factors in that. What does saturated mean? Are all users in just sector of the tower. Saying band 25, are you refering to just LTE, not the rest of PCS used by Sprint for CDMA? How much spectrum is the hypothetical Band 41 licensed for?

For the general case, yes, Band 41 is going to support more users. For Sprint LTE in Band 25, you're looking at a 5x5mhz carrier, where as Band 41 sites are generally all 20mhz carriers, so each Band  41 carrier has twice the bandwidth, and Band 41 sites might have multiple carriers.

It's still hard to say. But I'll take a stab at it. If all the users were just loading static webpages and using apps that pull static data, each sector of a 5MHz channel could support hundreds of users. Maybe even 400-500. If they were each just pulling up a new page every 2-3 minutes. It could probably be pushing a thousand. So long as they all didn't hit ENTER at exactly the same time! ;)

And each Band 41 channel can handle about 3x the traffic of a Band 25 5MHz channel. So you can triple those numbers for B41. And Sprint can deploy between 3-8 B41 carriers in each market. Meaning when deployed to maximum capacity, B41 could support from 9x to 20x more capacity per sector than B25.

• Like 12

It's still hard to say. But I'll take a stab at it. If all the users were just loading static webpages and using apps that pull static data, each sector of a 5MHz channel could support hundreds of users. Maybe even 400-500. If they were each just pulling up a new page every 2-3 minutes. It could probably be pushing a thousand. So long as they all didn't hit ENTER at exactly the same time! ;)

And each Band 41 channel can handle about 3x the traffic of a Band 25 5MHz channel. So you can triple those numbers for B41. And Sprint can deploy between 3-8 B41 carriers in each market. Meaning when deployed to maximum capacity, B41 could support from 9x to 20x more capacity per sector than B25.

*Picking jaw off ground*

• Like 3

Can the 8t8 equipment handle 8 carriers?

6 carriers times 20mhz = 120 total mhz used.  that is simply astounding. 

Most areas will realistically only need one or two B41 carriers.  But if fully deployed, that would be speed to the max (not even counting carrier aggregation).

6 carriers times 20mhz = 120 total mhz used. that is simply astounding.

Most areas will realistically only need one or two B41 carriers. But if fully deployed, that would be speed to the max (not even counting carrier aggregation).

Yup.

And where 8t8r equipment is available and carriers aggregated, nobody will be able to touch Sprint on pure speed and capacity. They just don't have the available spectrum resources to even come close. Sprint B41 is Sprint's "Ace-in-the-hole" to stave off the competition for a long, long time.

It'll all come down to execution, which Sprint seems to be really stepping up. Once NV is totally done and devices that utilize B41 CA are released, the industry will feel Sprint's domination and the competition will be stuck with older equipment and not enough spectrum to deploy.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3