LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Utter bullshit coming from a long time sprint hater known as craig moffet. 

Marcelo needs to come out and clarify exactly what his statement meant before it gets misconstrued by the media.

Oh and yes.. we do know the the high priority markets from the vendor(s) and it's way more than just 3 to 5. Under-promise & over-deliver. 

• Like 5

Utter bullshit coming from a long time sprint hater known as craig moffet. 

C'mon, Tim, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

• Like 4

Fear not people...In a quote from Bloomberg....Speaking of the Spark Rollout...

“It’s not a change in strategy,” Claure said of the network plan. “We’re getting to the same place but a little differently.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-11/sprint-to-focus-denser-spark-coverage-on-3-to-5-initial-cities.html

• Like 1

As long as NYC is on the list, I'm happy. I'd even be happy if it said Boston.

I think NYC is a no brainer. Same for LA and Chicago. Beyond those near certainties, I'd wager Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston and maybe DC, Boston or Philly. Yes, that's more than 3-5 but I think that it will still come to pass.

I think NYC is a no brainer. Same for LA and Chicago. Beyond those near certainties, I'd wager Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston and maybe DC, Boston or Philly. Yes, that's more than 3-5 but I think that it will still come to pass.

I would add San Diego, Detroit, and Seattle to the short list too.

Some love for those suffering in the IBEZ....

• Like 2

And Jax. This market is awesome for Sprint service and is pretty well blanketed in Clear B41 with 8t8r installs already spotted. Easily one of the better major urban/suburban market deployments for Sprint.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do we know what the optimization process for B41 is yet? Did Clear B41 sites go through a non-optimized, then optimized phase where they performed better?

Anyone know if 8T8R Sprint B41 sites will go through a similar low power initial phase, much like the B26 rollout?

Do we know what the optimization process for B41 is yet? Did Clear B41 sites go through a non-optimized, then optimized phase where they performed better?

Anyone know if 8T8R Sprint B41 sites will go through a similar low power initial phase, much like the B26 rollout?

Oooh,good question. I'd love to know as well

Sprint (NYSE:S) is pulling back on plans to upgrade its network across the U.S. using its swath of 2.5 gigahertz spectrum, a move that will lower capital spending but raises strategic and marketing questions, analysts say.

Sprint on Wednesday unveiled new promotions for new subscribers that upgrade to the Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), which could be a reason it's looking to both trim spending and to beef up its network in up to five big markets.

"Their strategy, in a nutshell, is to scale back their 2.5 GHz deployment to just three to five cities, providing what they describe as a 'Tokyo-like' experience in those markets," Craig Moffett, analyst at MoffettNathanson, told IBD. "In the rest of the country, they plan to be positioned as 'best value.' That marks a rather radical departure from Sprint's and SoftBank's previously stated strategy of building the 'best network' on a broad scale.

"And it presents an obvious, and perhaps insurmountable, challenge for marketing. How can they create a brand that stands for one thing in just a few markets (best network) and something else entirely (best value) in the rest."

http://news.investors.com/technology/091214-717167-sprint-pulls-back-nationwide-4g-deployment-tokyo-like-speed-in-only-5-cities.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo&src=aurlled

This seems to be oddly reminiscent of the WiMax deployment...not sure how Sprint can get away doing this as it does not appear to meet minimum coverage with the BTA.  II've back to 3G 80& of the time with all towers upgraded and without any further upgrades I will be switching to T-Mobile.  Waiting for 4G I barely get that averages less than 3mbps with good signal is unacceptable.

Sprint (NYSE:S) is pulling back on plans to upgrade its network across the U.S. using its swath of 2.5 gigahertz spectrum, a move that will lower capital spending but raises strategic and marketing questions, analysts say.

Sprint on Wednesday unveiled new promotions for new subscribers that upgrade to the Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL), which could be a reason it's looking to both trim spending and to beef up its network in up to five big markets.

"Their strategy, in a nutshell, is to scale back their 2.5 GHz deployment to just three to five cities, providing what they describe as a 'Tokyo-like' experience in those markets," Craig Moffett, analyst at MoffettNathanson, told IBD. "In the rest of the country, they plan to be positioned as 'best value.' That marks a rather radical departure from Sprint's and SoftBank's previously stated strategy of building the 'best network' on a broad scale.

"And it presents an obvious, and perhaps insurmountable, challenge for marketing. How can they create a brand that stands for one thing in just a few markets (best network) and something else entirely (best value) in the rest."

http://news.investors.com/technology/091214-717167-sprint-pulls-back-nationwide-4g-deployment-tokyo-like-speed-in-only-5-cities.htm?ven=yahoocp,yahoo&src=aurlled

This seems to be oddly reminiscent of the WiMax deployment...not sure how Sprint can get away doing this as it does not appear to meet minimum coverage with the BTA.  II've back to 3G 80& of the time with all towers upgraded and without any further upgrades I will be switching to T-Mobile.  Waiting for 4G I barely get that averages less than 3mbps with good signal is unacceptable.

This is not accurate, and it is a report based on another misreport where someone misunderstood what Marcelo said.  I don't have more time to respond now, but I would completely ignore this article.  I hope Marcelo comes out and clarifies soon so more misinformation doesn't get spread.

It is far more than five markets.  Heck, there is nine in Samsung areas alone:  Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, Portland and San Francisco.  And that's just one of three vendors.  The article is utter bullshit.  Moffet is smiling ear to ear.

• Like 19

And before someone misconstrues what Robert is saying. These 9 Samsung markets (and the other markets prioritized by Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia) will be the markets that will be thes ones that get the wall to wall deployment of 8T8R equipment, increased cell site densities, and mass deployment of small cells as soon as possible. These are the focus markets where the vendors and sprint pour all available manpower and resources into.

Other markets that are not the focus markets will continue to get 8T8R equipment but will be initially targeting the areas that need the capacity today (i.e. areas running around 1 mbps all day) instead of those that are still within stated parameters (i.e. a cell site running at 20 mbps) that may not need it now. 

Once the urban and capacity strained areas are fixed up in these secondary/tertriary/rural markets they'll branch out to the  less impacted sites and steadily creep towards the goal of eventual full overlay. 

• Like 18

Not sure if there is any Band 41 a active in San Diego yet, but when I get my iPhone on Friday the first thing I'll be doing Is going looking for it and running some tests :)!

Currently being deployed as we speak.  Mostly in Vista, Escondido and Ramona.  Hopefully they can start in the city where it is congested.

• Like 4

I would add San Diego, Detroit, and Seattle to the short list too.

Some love for those suffering in the IBEZ....

And San Diego was not a Wimax city, 2.5 permitting is underway.  At least Seattle had 2.5 from Wimax conversion.

• Like 2

Currently being deployed as we speak.  Mostly in Vista, Escondido and Ramona.  Hopefully they can start in the city where it is congested.

Awesome, thank you. I talked to Sprint Support and they told me the nearest Spark I could find that was broadcasting was in San Clemente, ha. I figure they just looked at the normal map, probably not checking whether any other towers were broadcasting and not mapped yet. 

Either way, I'll find some somewhere just to run some Speed Tests and such. Unfortunately it's an iPhone so I can't collect all the same info I could on Android, but I just want to see the speeds and such myself. 

I agree, the city (downtown) needs it most. I'm lucky, the normal LTE here in the College Area (San Diego State area) is fantastic. But Spark will take it to another level, eventually :)! Can't wait, and I agree budenny,  hopefully we will be "prioritized" at least a little bit, considering lack of LTE 800 in short term due to IBEZ. 

• Like 1

Awesome to see Portland as one of the prioritized Samsung cities for Sprint. I have been quietly suspecting and hoping that this would be the case. Thanks for the info, Robert!

• Like 2