LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Lastly, when optimizing our network we evaluate capacity – the amount of spectrum available to a market – and if needed, we apply capacity to increase data performance. Capacity is added in a number of ways – through a software update, addition of more carriers, aggregation of carriers, and the addition of radios and small cells.

This summer we’re excited to begin the installation of 8T8R radios within our 2.5GHz footprint allowing our cell sites to send multiple data streams and achieve better signal strength. Our deployment of 4x2 MIMO at 2.5GHz is also expected to increase data throughput and coverage without requiring additional bandwidth.

Even more exciting though is the potential for higher levels of MIMO such as 8x8 which is only possible with the use of 8T8R equipment. While we don’t have plans today for 8x8 MIMO, this is a significant competitive advantage that we could potentially utilize at some point in the future. Lastly, by the end of the year we expect to begin 2X20 (40MHz) carrier aggregation in the 2.5GHz spectrum band, giving us added capacity and faster data speeds

8T8R will be operating 4x2 MIMO in the beginning and transition to 8X8 MIMO at a later date. Interesting. 

hmm... two chains of 4x2 mimo per antenna...

• Like 1

"Sprint will be in a position to offer a vastly-superior 3 channel 2.5GHz experience in most major downtown areas by mid-2015. Similarly, analyst Jeff Kagan also recently had positive things to say about the improvements we’re making to our network."

So they will aggregate 3 20mhz channels by mid 2015? Before they said end of 2015 so that's exciting.

I doubt it but I hope the iPhone 6 will support carrier aggregation and wifi calling

"Sprint will be in a position to offer a vastly-superior 3 channel 2.5GHz experience in most major downtown areas by mid-2015. Similarly, analyst Jeff Kagan also recently had positive things to say about the improvements we’re making to our network."

So they will aggregate 3 20mhz channels by mid 2015? Before they said end of 2015 so that's exciting.

I doubt it but I hope the iPhone 6 will support carrier aggregation and wifi calling

I believe majority of iphones will have WiFi calling with iOS 8 iirc.

Sent from my Nexus 5

"The 50-60Mbps peak speeds customers are seeing in Sprint Spark markets are indicative of where our network is headed, and we're working hard to quickly bring that kind of outstanding performance to customers all across the country."

This....when people ask if 2.5 is coming to them.....THIS!!!

• Like 1

I believe majority of iphones will have WiFi calling with iOS 8 iirc.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I honestly haven't read up on iOS 8 tbh. I heard even the newer iPhone may have the support volte, and a faster LTE chip (hopefully carrier aggregation) as well.

I'm buying this iPhone full retail since I don't have an upgrade so I need it to be semi future proof lol.

• Like 2

Why don't they allow comments? It was nicely well written! If, a little sparse on the intimate details...

Does Sprint have anything similar to: tmonews.com?

SprintUsers.com is a C+, okay, D+ rated blog-site... They DID have a Sprint-dedicated podcast! (Which is as of now, is still canceled.)

Anything out there? Anything?

Why don't they allow comments? It was nicely well written! If, a little sparse on the intimate details...

Does Sprint have anything similar to: tmonews.com?

SprintUsers.com is a C+, okay, D+ rated blog-site... They DID have a Sprint-dedicated podcast! (Which is as of now, is still canceled.)

Anything out there? Anything?

Uh....yeah...

Luv24iR.png

• Like 14

S4GRU doesn't count. We're the cream of the crop.

I want another news/community source.

They don't allow commenting probably because they don't want the trolls from the internet coming over and bitching and trolling on important articles.

• Like 6

From Mr Saw's blog:

...This summer we’re excited to begin the installation of 8T8R radios within our 2.5GHz footprint allowing our cell sites to send multiple data streams and achieve better signal strength. Our deployment of 4x2 MIMO at 2.5GHz is also expected to increase data throughput and coverage without requiring additional bandwidth. Even more exciting though is the potential for higher levels of MIMO such as 8x8 which is only possible with the use of 8T8R equipment. While we don’t have plans today for 8x8 MIMO, this is a significant competitive advantage that we could potentially utilize at some point in the future. Lastly, by the end of the year we expect to begin 2X20 (40MHz) carrier aggregation in the 2.5GHz spectrum band, giving us added capacity and faster data speeds.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/optimizing-americas-newest-network.htm

Saw this great post unrelated to cellular that seems like it could be a road map for where B41 should start (and seems mostly has)

Half the US population lives in these counties:

http://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-the-united-states-lives-in-these-counties-2013-9

Sent from my HTC M8

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, how do you know when sprint spark is coming to your city? I know sprint has been working around east texas finishing all the LTE deployment, and working on 3G and what not, but id love to know when I can be expecting spark! 

Hi, how do you know when sprint spark is coming to your city? I know sprint has been working around east texas finishing all the LTE deployment, and working on 3G and what not, but id love to know when I can be expecting spark!

You are in a NSN market. NSN is just now getting started on deployment. They seem to be focusing on larger metros first. However, if Sprint feels like your area is capacity challenged, they may make it a higher priority. But I wouldn't expect Spark to get started there this year. We don't have any specific details about Longview, though, at this time.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

You are in a NSN market. NSN is just now getting started on deployment. They seem to be focusing on larger metros first. However, if Sprint feels like your area is capacity challenged, they may make it a higher priority. But I wouldn't expect Spark to get started there this year. We don't have any specific details about Longview, though, at this time.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

So basically i can except sprint spark within the next year? and sighting of it, like when LTE was being deployed within that waiting time?

Does anybody know the fastest Sprint LTE speed seen so far?

I think it was my speed test. It's the fastest I've seen around the net. I'm tempted to go to the same site tomorrow to see if I can top 77Mbps but i seriously doubt it. I think I've just about reached the peak speed of the network. This is in super ideal conditions (right across the street from the site with clear line of site and the site had fiber backhaul.) ujefFNO.png?1

• Like 1

I soooo take that last post back, as I just hit 30+ Mbps down while moving!! I did have full bars though, but I ain't complaining. Did this on my LG G Flex with band priorities rearranged.

I think it was my speed test. It's the fastest I've seen around the net. I'm tempted to go to the same site tomorrow to see if I can top 77Mbps but i seriously doubt it. I think I've just about reached the peak speed of the network. This is in super ideal conditions (right across the street from the site with clear line of site and the site had fiber backhaul.) ujefFNO.png?1

Thx.  I was just wondering what some of the upper end speeds look like right now.