LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

12-15 sites @ 2.5 to match 1 700 site?  That seems flawed.

I think I just heard an echo from the future (late 15- early 16)  "I bought a tri-band device and have been waiting for sprint spark now for 2 years!!  All we have is slow 3mb LTE access bla bla bla"

• Like 6

I understand triband but what is Spark exactly? Is that just a marketing name for a triband phone or does it imply a different hardware and/or software requirement above and beyond just being a triband phone?

I am set to order the rumored Nexus 5 once it is announced and Sprint compatibility is confirmed. But this Spark thing today made me pause and wonder. Could a phone like the Nexus 5 be triband but not Spark?

Interesting that Denver is not on the initial list, since It is already broadcasting a significant amount of 2600 LTE.

I believe the Band 41 markets with Huawei equipment (like Denver) will not get the full benefits until they are upgraded with new equipment from Samsung, NSN or A/L. The current upgrades in Huawei markets have been pretty simple as the hardware already supports LTE, just needs to be enabled with new firmware.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

So is sprint spark is just lte advance? 5g? Lol

It's just a name to put on their network. Being a S4GRU member, you're already of aware of the network, now it just has a name.

We need LTE800 markets to be active as well for "Spark".

SIDENOTE: Should this thread be moved to the "Network" Forum now?

• Like 1

We need LTE800 markets to be active as well for "Spark".

I'm assuming to be an official "Spark" Network, all three LTE Bands need to be Live and active....So technically there isn't a "Spark" network yet....but coming....

They have 3,000 - 5,000 LTE 800 sites that are expected to go live in the 4th Quarter. So there may be some live now, or will be very soon!

• Like 9

12-15 sites @ 2.5 to match 1 700 site?  That seems flawed.

I think I just heard an echo from the future (late 15- early 16)  "I bought a tri-band device and have been waiting for sprint spark now for 2 years!!  All we have is slow 3mb LTE access bla bla bla"

Think of a cell sites range as a circular object and not as a straight line.  It won't be 12-14 in a straight line to cover the distance of one 700mhz tower.  Rather, it will be 12-14 sites in every direction of a centered tower to cover the range of one 700mhz tower.  So if you wanted to lay this out on paper as simply as possible it could just be that it takes 3 or 4 2500mhz sites at max to match the radius of the range of one 700mhz site (in a straight line).  Does that make sense?  When you approach it like that it looks much more believable.

• Like 2

Think of a cell sites range as a circular object and not as a straight line. It won't be 12-14 in a straight line to cover the distance of one 700mhz tower. Rather, it will be 12-14 sites in every direction of a centered tower to cover the range of one 700mhz tower. So if you wanted to lay this out on paper as simply as possible it could just be that it takes 3 or 4 2500mhz sites at max to match the radius of the range of one 700mhz site (in a straight line). Does that make sense? When you approach it like that it looks much more believable.

Yes. And this is good news. One TD-LTE 20MHz carrier has 1.5 times the capacity of one 750MHz LTE 10MHz carrier.

So here is the math, comparing one VZW LTE carrier with maximum coverage, one Sprint TD-LTE carrier on 12 sites would have 18 times the capacity, for half the customers. Whoa!

Even if you add the second AWS carrier on Verizon, Sprint still has more for half the customers when you add three TD-LTE Sprint carriers, plus add LTE 800 & 1900. Sprint's capacity would be more than five fold greater than Verizon for half the customers. The numbers look really good compared to AT&T too.

Now it's all about execution. And now it is in Matayoshi Son's hands. So we know it will happen. And the devices are starting to come out now. Happy days ahead! Except for me here in the Northern Prairies. :(

• Like 21