Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

For the Charlottesville folks on here-

I took my mother to nTelos today to upgrade from the 5S to 6S. I was in the store talking to the rep about Shentel(no new info) and noticed I had no LTE while all of the nTelos phones had all bars. I looked and they were all locked on band 26. I had no clue that band 26 was used in Cville but I'm guessing Sprint users cannot access yet and that's why everything is so spotty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the Charlottesville folks on here-

I took my mother to nTelos today to upgrade from the 5S to 6S. I was in the store talking to the rep about Shentel(no new info) and noticed I had no LTE while all of the nTelos phones had all bars. I looked and they were all locked on band 26. I had no clue that band 26 was used in Cville but I'm guessing Sprint users cannot access yet and that's why everything is so spotty.

Seems both Band 25 and 26 are being used in Albemarle and Greene. When at home my tower that services my house is Band 25 and the one that services the 29/33 Corridor is Band 26. Which is great because I always had problems keeping a connection in Walmart. Only dropped 2 times in walmart the other day, and reconnected pretty quickly. 

So will cville get more bands when shentel takes over or no?

Everywhere should have all 3 bands once Shentel gets going on installing equipment.

Edit: Everywhere should have B25/B26. Shentel may selectively put B41 up. They will probably concentrate their B41 efforts on high traffic towers, at least at first.

Sent from my Note 4

• Like 2

You can pick one manually under the settings

Oh I know that but it's weird that for automatic it thinks I'm in Chicago when testing phone service.  But when I'm on wifi it always picks VA servers.

For all you Charlottesville people on iPhones 6s or iphones in general. What is your iOS? I'm still on iOS 9.02 but then again I'm jailbroken too. Just wondering if the LTE would be better on 9.1 I'm still getting spotty LTE in cville sometimes it will go to 3g then 1x then no service. Noticed in Walmart section of town it's 3g and spotty LTE.

Iphone gets major carrier updates with the latest patch

Edited by dethalis

So im in Morgantown all the time and everyone else is getting 4g in this area now but me, my phone connects to 4g but the data doesn't work. I called sprint today and after trouble shooting for an hour they decided to tell me that 4g isn't available in this area yet even tho tons of sprint customers are enjoying 4g in Morgantown. Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is going on here? Why doesn't sprint have the coverage map updated and why cant i connect?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So im in Morgantown all the time and everyone else is getting 4g in this area now but me, my phone connects to 4g but the data doesn't work. I called sprint today and after trouble shooting for an hour they decided to tell me that 4g isn't available in this area yet even tho tons of sprint customers are enjoying 4g in Morgantown. Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is going on here? Why doesn't sprint have the coverage map updated and why cant i connect?

Install Signal check app from play store, and upload the screen shot of it while connected to 4G..

Your at the very cell edge, -118dBm is a stretch for B26. The SNR is decent for the signal. But It might be the case that your just too far at the edge to get any data going.

Try to move to a place where the signal is above -110dBm while connected to B26 and see if the data works.

If it does work, they might just need to optimize it better.

• Like 3

Your at the very cell edge, -118dBm is a stretch for B26. The SNR is decent for the signal. But It might be the case that your just too far at the edge to get any data going.

Try to move to a place where the signal is above -110dBm while connected to B26 and see if the data works.

If it does work, they might just need to optimize it better.

Ive been way above that while driving around with no luck. Trust me thats not the issue[emoji20]

• Like 1