Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I still think that there aren't any real updates going on. Just seems to me that they are just wasting time doing nothing until Sprint/Shentel takes over, and only then will any real work be done.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like Sprint just doesn't give a damn about Roanoke VA. They are the only carrier in this city without LTE and they don't even care enough to give us an honest answer of when it will get better. Hell Verizon launched LTE here in November of 2011, 4 years ago now. It's getting to be a big joke....it's time to move on.

Charlottesville too! Every other carrier has LTE and has had it for months to years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds to me like Sprint just doesn't give a damn about Roanoke VA. They are the only carrier in this city without LTE and they don't even care enough to give us an honest answer of when it will get better. Hell Verizon launched LTE here in November of 2011, 4 years ago now. It's getting to be a big joke....it's time to move on.

Charlottesville too! Every other carrier has LTE and has had it for months to years

Short of cutting ties with nTelos, there's not much Sprint could have done about this situation. And cutting ties with nTelos likely would have prolonged your time without LTE. You cannot forget you are not an actual Sprint market. You are on the nTelos network. Now that Shentel will be taking over, things will get better, and quickly once Shentel takes the reins. 

• Like 1

Roanoke is kind a small really... Could be why 4g was never launched in the area. Focus on areas where they have more customers.

Roanoke is one of the oldest cities in America and the most populous in SWVA and not to mention SWVA houses several major colleges/university's and our strip of 460 which ranges through several dense towns/cities all the way to Richmond. Where the 4g finally starts. That's not an excuse and I work for Sprint...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dollars and cents. Period. Sprint bleeding cash and they are putting whatever they have on hand in the wrong place. Too bad. I was really hoping they were going to get their shit together by now. nTelos is the absolute worst. I hope they burn in hell.

Oh I haven't forgotten that sprint uses the Ntelos towers here, I also haven't forgotten that Ntelos turned on 4G for their customers in Roanoke last February . Sprint should have "persuaded" them to let us on also. But they didn't so I can only assume they don't give a damn about their Roanoke customers.

Short of cutting ties with nTelos, there's not much Sprint could have done about this situation. And cutting ties with nTelos likely would have prolonged your time without LTE. You cannot forget you are not an actual Sprint market. You are on the nTelos network. Now that Shentel will be taking over, things will get better, and quickly once Shentel takes the reins.

The agreement should have stated when NTelos activates LTE that would go for sprint customers too. However many areas have NTelos LTE and we are not allowed to use.

I can tell you NTelos was scared the agreement wasn't going to be renewed

Oh I haven't forgotten that sprint uses the Ntelos towers here, I also haven't forgotten that Ntelos turned on 4G for their customers in Roanoke last February . Sprint should have "persuaded" them to let us on also. But they didn't so I can only assume they don't give a damn about their Roanoke customers.

I can only assume that it's because of the deadline for 4g, not actually a thing written "so you must do this".

It all boils down to company politics and what they want to do, not what's best for the people.

You guys need to chill out.

People on this very site should know well to not trust any  "Oh 4G LTE is going live on [insert date]" given the past three or 4 years of experience and knowledge we have gotten here. 

The deal's simple. Sprint does not offer native service in nTelos land. They have 0 control over any network functions whatsoever. nTelos is the entity that is under the agreement to actually build the network and sell service to Sprint branded customers in return for payment from Sprint for the branding rights and subscribers that use their network. 

nTelos was forced at "gunpoint" to build out or be destroyed [by Shentel] and so they have dragged their butts through the sand as much as they can and will no doubt stay the course until Shentel finalizes their takeover and sets things straight. Until then, this is the same old nTelos that was, and I repeat, forced to make a LTE buildout or die in a painful fashion that everyone all come to love. 

Anyone can feel free to discuss how terrible they are and whatnot but numerous recent comments here are in the ranting territory which is against the rules of the forums. Make your comments at least somewhat constructive or else staff will be forced take action. 

[insert Shentel Save Us! meme]

• Like 4

For those of you who think Sprint has not done enough with nTelos, remember, it is Sprint that brought Shentel in and negotiated this buy out.  It is because of nTelos problems that Sprint did push the nuclear button.

The only other option was for Sprint to overbuild nTelos.  Which would take a hell of a lot longer.  This was the right move.  Buy nTelos out, have Shentel take over.  And Shentel will do a better and faster job converting this market than Sprint would do.

I know you all want it today.  Who wouldn't?  But realistic expectations is that you will not have LTE until some time after Shentel takes over nTelos.  If you get it sooner, then even better.

If you cannot wait, we understand.  Churn.  You gotta do what you gotta do.  But Shentel will likely take over within 90 days.  They will likely get the nTelos network open for Sprint customers within a reasonable time of taking over.  And it will steadily get better and better after that.

• Like 4

In what band is the nTelos native LTE deployment?  My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall band 4.  Correct?

AJ

In what band is the nTelos native LTE deployment? My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall band 4. Correct?

AJ

I see band 25 in Waynesboro and Charlottesville

I see band 25 in Waynesboro and Charlottesville

Are you a Sprint sub?  An nTelos sub?  Or do you have both?  I am referring to the nTelos LTE deployment some in this thread are complaining that Sprint subs cannot access.

AJ

Are you a Sprint sub? An nTelos sub? Or do you have both? I am referring to the nTelos LTE deployment some in this thread are complaining that Sprint subs cannot access.

AJ

I am a prior NTelos subscriber and a current sprint sub.

Whole family uses NTelos on iPhone 5s' so I have no way to see if NTelos uses band 41

Band 25 as far as I know, Shentel has access to Bands 25, 26 and 41 IIRC. Also, Shentel is known for their amazing build out times, so as soon as this deal gets finalized things will be moving quickly. It's all going to come down to the date that nTelos gets shut out. I can already tell you Shentel Reps are in full force down here taking on the corporate stores. The Corporate stores have had numerous changes in the past few months and more to come starting January 1st. So things are moving very very fast with Shentel in the market right now.

Whole family uses NTelos on iPhone 5s' so I have no way to see if NTelos uses band 41

I'm about 90% sure nTelos does not have access to Band 41 although someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I'm about 90% sure nTelos does not have access to Band 41 although someone can correct me if I am wrong.

AJ asked about Band 4. Not 41.

IVE JUST BEEN TOLD LTE HAS BEEN ENABLED IN VIRGINIA AND WEST VIRGINIA AND WILL SHOW AS SPRINT NEXT MONTH.

I was also sent a map of the attached LTE coverage which I'll post tomorrow at work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1