Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

BTW, in this area, Verizon owns the entire cellular band since the Alltel merger. That seems patently uncompetative to me.

For that, you can thank the Michael Powell and Kevin Martin lead, Republican controlled FCC from 2000-2008.  It abolished the Cellular cross ownership rule, which had forbid Cellular licensees from holding interest in both licenses in a given market.  The rationale was that PCS licensees had provided competition sufficient to obviate the rule.  But many of us at the time a decade ago and still today know that was a load of RF physics ignorant, big business friendly, duopoly influenced bullshit.  For the record, since the sunset of the cross ownership rule, no operators other than AT&T and VZW have held both Cellular licenses in any market.  Hmm...

AJ

• Like 1

This really sucks for western VA customers too.  At least for now..... we have been promised all year that 70% of ntelosland would have 4g by the end of 2014.... Now it will be 50% with 4g by the end of 2015?????? Thats just ridiculous... 

I literally talked a friend of ours to bring 5 lines from VZ over to Sprint just a few days ago...he's now a Sprint customer.  We're in the Lynchburg market and they joined with the expectations of getting LTE in 2014.  Now I'm guessing it may not even be 2015?  Am I correct by this assumption.  I need to tell them to jump ship if not...

I literally talked a friend of ours to bring 5 lines from VZ over to Sprint just a few days ago...he's now a Sprint customer.  We're in the Lynchburg market and they joined with the expectations of getting LTE in 2014.  Now I'm guessing it may not even be 2015?  Am I correct by this assumption.  I need to tell them to jump ship if not...

It could be that long.  But it could be one of the first markets worked on in 2015.  We just don't know at this point.  In the past nTelos has been kind of good to give city lists that they are working in.  So we may hear that soon.

I can't even put to words how disappointing this is, nobody here cares about my sob story & I get that :)  Been with Sprint since PCS days and have had seriously rough speeds for the last 2-3 years while everyone else is blowing past them.  The news of the nTelos LTE agreement kept me hanging on for 2014...I honestly don't think I can make it through another year.  I really hope to get a glimmer of hope before the end of 2014.  Really makes me sad because I actually love Sprint as a company...I tend to love the underdog (or have a really sick fetish with pain and torture...TBD).

If you have the money for Verizon & chance to leave Sprint (in nTelos's coverage area) I would jump ship.

Personally I can't stomach a near $300 phone bill & having to worry about running out of data. Also it would take me 4 line cancellations to move so... That's a pretty large expense.

I can't even put to words how disappointing this is, nobody here cares about my sob story & I get that :) Been with Sprint since PCS days and have had seriously rough speeds for the last 2-3 years while everyone else is blowing past them. The news of the nTelos LTE agreement kept me hanging on for 2014...I honestly don't think I can make it through another year. I really hope to get a glimmer of hope before the end of 2014. Really makes me sad because I actually love Sprint as a company...I tend to love the underdog (or have a really sick fetish with pain and torture...TBD).

I wouldn't hold your breath
  • Like 1

I can't even put to words how disappointing this is, nobody here cares about my sob story & I get that :)  Been with Sprint since PCS days and have had seriously rough speeds for the last 2-3 years while everyone else is blowing past them.  The news of the nTelos LTE agreement kept me hanging on for 2014...I honestly don't think I can make it through another year.  I really hope to get a glimmer of hope before the end of 2014.  Really makes me sad because I actually love Sprint as a company...I tend to love the underdog (or have a really sick fetish with pain and torture...TBD).

Most places I would say stick it out.... but in nTelos (and Swiftel) areas, if you gotta jump ship I don't think anyone here would blame you. 

• Like 4

Most places I would say stick it out.... but in nTelos (and Swiftel) areas, if you gotta jump ship I don't think anyone here would blame you. 

Certainly not me.

• Like 1

At this point, my old unlimited data plan is still a good enough deal, and the 3G service (mostly) adequate, so I don't feel a tremendous need to leave Sprint.  And, the hope of some 4G coming helps.  I still hope that there might be some upgrading of the backhaul, though the news so far is not encouraging in that regard.

*sigh*

Oh, I also have a Note 3 but have not noticed it in the Beckley markets. According to Sprints website both parties have to have HD Voice services for it to be enabled. I don't know to many people left who have Sprint to try it out. LOL

Edited by bbostwick8
  • Like 1

Gotta love those comments...Obola - now that's creative...

Wow. That comment was so far out there that I don't really know what to think. The scary part is that I don't think he was trying to troll. Trolls usually try to appear smarter than that...

Haven't kept up much since moving to Cricket but just for giggles I talked to a Sprint rep at the mall in Morgantown. For the first time ever I feel like I wasn't having smoke blown up my butt by a sales rep. I asked him if Sprint will ever get LTE in Morgantown. His response was they during their weekly sales meeting the reps were informed that Morgantown would not have LTE until at least January 2016! He almost seemed embarrassed to even tell me that.

For me the Cricket switch has been great. It's not unlimited but it's 10GB per line for $55 each. That's cheaper than my Sero lines were.

Unbelievable that Sprint would allow this to happen. If that date is indeed true that means they will be at least 3 years behind ATT, Verizon, and USCC in my area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

• Like 2

Haven't kept up much since moving to Cricket but just for giggles I talked to a Sprint rep at the mall in Morgantown. For the first time ever I feel like I wasn't having smoke blown up my butt by a sales rep. I asked him if Sprint will ever get LTE in Morgantown. His response was they during their weekly sales meeting the reps were informed that Morgantown would not have LTE until at least January 2016! He almost seemed embarrassed to even tell me that.

For me the Cricket switch has been great. It's not unlimited but it's 10GB per line for $55 each. That's cheaper than my Sero lines were.

Unbelievable that Sprint would allow this to happen. If that date is indeed true that means they will be at least 3 years behind ATT, Verizon, and USCC in my area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

Same here.  I can stomach 3 years behind VZ & ATT (well...kinda but not really) but US Cellular?  Come on man!  You mean to tell me the farmers have LTE on their tractors in the middle of po-dunk and I can't get it on Sprint?  SMH

I currently live in Morgantown, and have been wanting to try Sprint out as an alternative to US Cellular, but after hearing that LTE will not happen till at least 2016 is just insane. Now i know i'll defenitly stay with USCC for 2 more years.