Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

1 hour ago, Trip said:

My wife's phone shows 312-530 frequently and it's definitely on Sprint.

- Trip

Best I can tell, based on reports here and on Reddit, that is the PLMN for Sprint sites that are still accessible but are not likely to be keep sites. Essentially native "roaming" at this point. Most Sprint lines have been pushed to TNA if you want it or not. Happened to my other lines that don't have 5G phones without me asking for them to do it. 

The dividing line for TNA appears to be band 66 support.  VoLTE not required (Sprint LG V20).  Just additional 700Mhz service by the phone still prefers usual triband (Sprint LG G4 and G5) but will roam on 700Mhz.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that TNA meant you were on T-Mobile natively, like ROAMAHOME.  I had that blocked on three of my lines.

More evidence of T-Mobile's complete failure at transitioning in a clear manner is that I literally cannot figure out what their various things actually mean, and every time I think I understand it, it turns out to be wrong.

- Trip

On 6/12/2021 at 5:39 AM, Trip said:

I was under the impression that TNA meant you were on T-Mobile natively, like ROAMAHOME.  I had that blocked on three of my lines.

More evidence of T-Mobile's complete failure at transitioning in a clear manner is that I literally cannot figure out what their various things actually mean, and every time I think I understand it, it turns out to be wrong.

- Trip

Except on 5G phones, ROAMAHOME is said to have now been replaced for most phones by MOCN, which allows access to both TMobile and Sprint towers interchangeably.  It is now set from the profile and no longer uses an SOC code.

Edited by comintel
augmenting
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:54 AM, Trip said:

EDIT: Looks like the T-Mobile coverage map shows it too, albeit as roaming.

That's US Cellular LTE roaming shown on the coverage map, which has been there for a few years.

They aren't showing Shentel coverage on the map yet. Look at Wardensville, WV as an example.

• 2 weeks later...

So for anyone that has transitioned their sims from Sprint to TMO R15 (TNX). Have any of you noticed any service interruptions anywhere in Central Va.? And on which devices?

The only issue I get on my iPhone 12 Pro, is not long after I pass the 7-Eleven/7-Eleven Gas Station in Orange County heading towards BBQ Exchange I loose service. And don’t get it back till about the same area heading back on 33 towards Ruckersville. Other than that I’m happy with my speeds since they are way better than Sprint 5G. Only other thing I may drop service for a few minutes on the way to Crozet or on the way back from Crozet to Charlottesville for a few minutes. But usually minimum. 

Today, I'm headed down to the Farmville area, and will be taking a route generally following US-522 to see which sites are 312250 (keep sites).  On Friday or Saturday, I'll be headed back up a route generally following US-15, but meandering to try to cover most of the existing Shentel sites along the way. 

Where in Orange County are you having your issue?  I only see 7-Eleven locations in Gordonsville and Orange proper.

- Trip

3 hours ago, Trip said:

Today, I'm headed down to the Farmville area, and will be taking a route generally following US-522 to see which sites are 312250 (keep sites).  On Friday or Saturday, I'll be headed back up a route generally following US-15, but meandering to try to cover most of the existing Shentel sites along the way. 

Where in Orange County are you having your issue?  I only see 7-Eleven locations in Gordonsville and Orange proper.

- Trip

Usually between the 7-Eleven in Gordonsville through BBQ Exchange is where I have trouble with. 

Oh!  In Gordonsville proper.  Yeah, that area has no native T-Mobile service.  But I believe they recently added the 312250 PLMN to the Gordonsville Shentel site, so it should work now, I would think.  (I'll know for sure if they added 312250 on Friday.)

- Trip

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Oh!  In Gordonsville proper.  Yeah, that area has no native T-Mobile service.  But I believe they recently added the 312250 PLMN to the Gordonsville Shentel site, so it should work now, I would think.  (I'll know for sure if they added 312250 on Friday.)

- Trip

Yeah let me know last time I went through to BBQ Exchange I don’t think it was added but that was like mid may. 

Woke up to this notification this am. Tapping the notification does nothing. Went into My Sprint app and saw the offer to get a TMo SIM for their "bigger + better network". Tapped on that (with no intention of following through), and got a pop-up re "technical difficulties, try again in a few minutes".

Any insights?

Screenshot_20210705-063148.png

• 3 weeks later...

Ok out of curiosity. How many of us here in the Charlottesville Greater Area have switched over to the T-Mobile R15 (TNX) Sim? How are your experiences and speeds and what not so far?  

my experiences have been way better since switching over. Better call/data services, better customer service etc. only thing I’ve noticed is loosing sitting Walmart regardless. I’ve always have had my stuff drop inside Walmart on both Sprit and TMO. Only other difference I have noticed is loosing signal a few times on Ivy Road between Ch’ville and Crozet & no service between a little bit after the traffic circle in Gordonsaville where the 7-11 and the other gAs stations are and BBQ Exchange. Not sure how far out after BBQ Exchange the no service area is a no hit is. But definitely a no go in that area. 

Drove up US-15 again yesterday, and found that additional sites have been marked as keep sites.  Basically, every site along 15 between Farmville and Culpeper that wasn't co-located with T-Mobile (or nearly so) is now running 312250. 

- Trip

• Like 5

All three 3rd party sprint stores in Charlottesville now have TMO signage out side of the store notice me the change over this past weekend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDP121 said:

All three 3rd party sprint stores in Charlottesville now have TMO signage out side of the store notice me the change over this past weekend. 

Greencastle, Pa does too.  Shentel area 3rd party store

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just remembered that their use to be a third party Sprint Store at Fashion Square Mall in Charlottesville. Anyone been their lately? I’m wondering if they converted it or not, considering that their was already a T-Mobile Store already in Fashion Square Mall and one across the street in Shoppers World. 

Anyone in the Greater Charlottesville/Albemarle County and Greene County area's notice that you have been dropping from 5G to LTE more frequently then normal lately? 

I defiantly have. But my best guess is that TMO is just updating tower equipment atm. But was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this as well lately. 

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend, I drove a route through Albemarle/Nelson Counties and Charlottesville that took me past every site I had yet to see.  Essentially all that are not colocated are running 312250 at this time.

One puzzler though; a native T-Mobile site with GCI 074AFF (for B12/71; no other bands were observed), appears to be very new and somewhere near the tower near the Amtrak station.  Is it on that tower, or is it on one of the buildings across the street to the west?  My observations suggest the latter, especially since 312250 is running on the Amtrak tower, but I can't find any permits to back it up either way. 

- Trip

• 1 month later...

Anyone else in the southern central (Harrisburg-Lancaster region) PA area that can speak to whether the time is viable or right yet to get a T-Mo sim and switch from native Sprint?  @chamb looking at you as a chief prospect for this possibly.  I've been waiting to see if there's any significant news of tower/equipment changes in this area before even trying to test the waters.