Jump to content

Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)


Recommended Posts

I have noticed within the past week or two after switching from my Sprint Sim to my R15 Sim on T-Mobile that my speeds dropped from about 215up/70ish down to about 125Up/7-10ish down. Any one else here seen this?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys are in for a treat. Shentel is almost universally agreed to have the some of the best sprint markets anywhere.   Soon™   Sent from my Nexus 5

Warning: Long, but worth the read.  I just wanted to give a good customer service experience with Shentel. On one sector of the tower closest to my house (Woodstock, VA), B26 had zero data throug

Planned Upgrade and New Sites Central VA Market Southern WV and KY Markets PA Market

Posted Images

So, my home connection has changed, and NOT for the better. I can hope this represents some temporary status during a changeover . . .

Update: back on Sprint B26 with download of 15Mbps

Screenshot_20210226-193026.png

Screenshot_20210226-193141.png

Edited by davidtm
Update
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, JDP121 said:

I have noticed within the past week or two after switching from my Sprint Sim to my R15 Sim on T-Mobile that my speeds dropped from about 215up/70ish down to about 125Up/7-10ish down. Any one else here seen this?

Ok update with in the last couple days (while I’m isolation) I have noticed while on my home tower (Fashion Square Mall less than 1/4 mile from my apartment) it has gone back to normal with 200+ upload and 60+ upload. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Lockedtight said:

Hopefully T-Mobile will hire the majority of these people losing their jobs.  Such a tough time to be looking for a new job.

Shentel to reduce 30% of company's workforce as sale to T-Mobile is finalized (newsleader.com)

In any merger or buy-out it is usually office staff that lose their jobs.  The workers who physically keep everything running are the ones most likely to move over to T-Mobile.  The sales people, office managers, help desk, HR, finance, etc. are the ones that if Shentel does not have a landing spot for them, they will be out of a job as T-Mobile already has people for these roles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I note they now do not expect the sale to close until the third quarter.  I wish they would at least start running 312250 on the Shentel sites...

- Trip

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting to see how this impacts my day-to-day wireless experience. I've been having more dropped calls lately, even in wifi calling. Don't know if it's this network changeover, just general internet congestion, or the third party service I'm using for work . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Next time I plan to be in Shentel territory is 6/30.  (Possibly 6/19, but more likely 6/30.)  I'll have to look.  Exciting!

- Trip

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else seen any evidence of 312250 or 311490 in Shentel land as of yet?  I've heard someone mention that T-Mobile PCIs have started showing up in the neighbor cells suddenly. 

I have to admit, I'm itching to make my way out there, but I'm at least a week from being there, and possibly closer to three weeks.  If someone has a screenshot of SCP showing 312250 on a Shentel GCI, I for one would love to see it.

- Trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trip said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else seen any evidence of 312250 or 311490 in Shentel land as of yet?  I've heard someone mention that T-Mobile PCIs have started showing up in the neighbor cells suddenly. 

I have to admit, I'm itching to make my way out there, but I'm at least a week from being there, and possibly closer to three weeks.  If someone has a screenshot of SCP showing 312250 on a Shentel GCI, I for one would love to see it.

- Trip

SCP is showing as 310-120 when connected to 312-250, at least in MorgantownfXFOrcc.jpg5k0cJqI.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's probably your device.  I've heard some devices do show 310-120 in SCP instead of 312-250.  None of mine do that.

Thanks!  Great to actually see it. 

EDIT: Looks like the T-Mobile coverage map shows it too, albeit as roaming.

- Trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ofreyfromyabush said:

SCP is showing as 310-120 when connected to 312-250, at least in MorgantownfXFOrcc.jpg5k0cJqI.jpg

There is a setting in SCP to display the alternate PLMN. This will allow you to see 312-250 instead of just 310120. I know this because I requested that and Mike added it really quickly!

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

There is a setting in SCP to display the alternate PLMN. This will allow you to see 312-250 instead of just 310120. I know this because I requested that and Mike added it really quickly!

ah yep, turned that setting on and it showed 312250. Neat!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, davidtm said:

I just turned that on, and it now shows 312530

Okay, then you are probably still Sprint-native.  If you were T-Mobile native, you'd be seeing 311-490 or 312-250.

- Trip

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davidtm said:

I just turned that on, and it now shows 312530

 

3 hours ago, Trip said:

Okay, then you are probably still Sprint-native.  If you were T-Mobile native, you'd be seeing 311-490 or 312-250.

- Trip

312-530 is Sprint "roaming" sites. It's native coverage, but it's not a keep site and you only connect if there's little to no T-Mobile coverage. I get this occasionally in NE and KS, I'm on a 5G phone so technically T-Mobile but still a Sprint SIM (TNA).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

 

312-530 is Sprint "roaming" sites. It's native coverage, but it's not a keep site and you only connect if there's little to no T-Mobile coverage. I get this occasionally in NE and KS, I'm on a 5G phone so technically T-Mobile but still a Sprint SIM (TNA).

 

My wife's phone shows 312-530 frequently and it's definitely on Sprint.

- Trip

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Good point. You could try submitting a report to @NevilleRay or @TMobileHelp about the congestion on the nearby macro sites?
    • Sure, but it didn't matter how Sprint's 800 MHz was down there, since we have 1900 MHz LTE on the DAS.  I'd rather my T-Mobile iPhone used the Sprint Legacy 1900 MHz LTE signal that's available down there than the 600 MHz 5G/LTE macro network, which is congested as we share it with a major transit hub in the area.  My phone will hop over to the Sprint signal when it loses the T-Mobile signal entirely, but it's a hard transition to "Roaming," not seamless like the Sprint "keep" sites are around here.
    • It's still got to be better than Sprint's 800 MHz was, right? 🙂 At some point that DAS will have to be accounted for by the T-Mobile Network Folks. It's probably on some list somewhere with a plan to either upgrade it or shut it down.
    • I wish these network testing and speed testing organizations would hit the providers with a big negative for areas with unusable or very slow coverage.  The difference between 1mb/s and 1,000mb/s in download speed or between 3g/4g/LTE/5g/etc. doesn't matter very much to most people who are not using their mobile device as a hotspot or casting to another screen.  The difference between no service and 1mb/s is very important to all users in all areas and its importance should be taken into account on these tests.  Upload speed should always be a minimum of 5% of the download speed for the download speed to be counted as useful.
    • I just wrote about this over in the Northern Jersey thread. I drove along I-80 from NYC out to Mt. Arlington, NJ and lost 5G coverage once and for less than a mile. It's only a 50-60 mile trip but it drives you through some pretty hilly/mountainous areas so I was surprised to see T-Mobile maintain 5G for virtually the entire ride.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...