Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys are in for a treat. Shentel is almost universally agreed to have the some of the best sprint markets anywhere.   Soon™   Sent from my Nexus 5

Warning: Long, but worth the read.  I just wanted to give a good customer service experience with Shentel. On one sector of the tower closest to my house (Woodstock, VA), B26 had zero data throug

Planned Upgrade and New Sites Central VA Market Southern WV and KY Markets PA Market

Posted Images

12 hours ago, bbostwick8 said:

Hitting’ that 5G network now :)

24470330-A3FC-48E4-8D3E-C8BC630FEA17.png

That’s about what I was hitting after I picked up my iPhone 12 Pro on 5G with the Sprint Sim. Since I’ve switched over to the T-MOBILE TNX Sim I’m ranging between 200-245 Down and between 60-75 Up. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, JDP121 said:

That’s where I’m actually located at is in Charlottesville, VA. Went to the TMO Store at Fashion Square to switch out my Sprint Sim for the TMO TNX Sim. Haven’t really noticed to much different in quality yet at least. 

Really? I'm afraid of losing Shentel's network quality if I switch SIMs.

1 hour ago, davidtm said:

There are quite a few areas where T-Mobile severely underperforms Shentel right now.  Except for actual roaming, none of the measures T-Mobile is using in Sprint territory are currently implemented in Shentel land right now, which means you don't fall back on Shentel when T-Mobile is too weak--you can only roam after everything falls off a cliff.

- Trip

• Like 1
1 hour ago, davidtm said:

I can not speak for the entire Shentel footprint, but in the areas I am familiar with, you would be much better off staying with Sprint/Shentel.  Nowhere in my travels over the Shentel area does T-Mobile have any advantage over the existing Shentel network. I am sticking to the current Shentel network until I can prove 100% that any T-Mobile network is better. T-Mobiles press releases and claims are worthless in this area just like they were for many years.

So my guess is T-Mobile will hold off on doing anything network related to their towers in the Shentel area and Shentel will just do regular maintenance until the deal is closed in 2Q21.  If that is the case they will be pretty far behind on combining the two networks in this area.  Kind of a bummer since the T-Mobile network in Shentel's footprint lags way behind Shentel's network as well as the other two big networks.  😪

2 hours ago, Lockedtight said:

So my guess is T-Mobile will hold off on doing anything network related to their towers in the Shentel area and Shentel will just do regular maintenance until the deal is closed in 2Q21.  If that is the case they will be pretty far behind on combining the two networks in this area.  Kind of a bummer since the T-Mobile network in Shentel's footprint lags way behind Shentel's network as well as the other two big networks.  😪

In the interim, the thing to keep an eye on is whether or not T-Mobile continues to expand or upgrade its network in Shentel territory.  If they don't, it would be a signal that they plan to fold most of the existing Shentel infrastructure into their combined network.  IMO, it would be a mistake to do anything else - as we all know that Shentel has built a really solid network in their territory.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve got me an IPhone 12 and I am finding that 5G is robust when I can get it and I find that I get a signal in Big Island Virginia where I’ve never been able to get a sprint signal before so my phone might be able to get TMO 4g too but I am not sure....could also be Shentel put a tower up there recently but I dunno....all I can say is more signal is more better!

• 4 weeks later...

And I went and got me a TMO SIM card.....now phone says T-Mobile in the corner but where in the field test menu do I look to see for sure I’m on GSM?

update....prl is 1! So phone is synced to TMO!