Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Yeah, that makes more sense. I hadn't heard of Sprint trading any G block.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

They have not. I thought i edited that to C block. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

SHENTEL 25X25 BAND 25 AGGREGATION PROVEN

See 3 screenshots From Chambersburg, PA 12/30/2018

SCP showing connection to 8140 EARFCN  10X10  and (8615 in the Neighbor list)

Service mode showing 8140 primary PCC  and 8615 15X15 SCC Total of 25X25

Speedtest- Slow considering the level (-96) and the 25X25.

I do see the receive levels being quite different on the PCC and SCC ????

Chambersburg Service Mode.jpg

Chambersburg Speedtest.jpg

Screchambersburg band 25 SCP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Can anyone explain this? I saw this in Front Royal just a little bit ago. I was able to screen shot it and it stayed for about 5 minutes but I can't get it to come back again. Not sure where it was coming from, but probably one of the towers in town. I was close to the Remount Rd tower, but it could not have been coming from there since the signal was too weak. 

SCP says it's a clearwire PLMN, but the engineering screen says Sprint. It also showed as Roaming, which is even more weird. Anyway, if someone knows what this is about, I'm curious. 

20181231_004234.jpg

Screenshot_20181231-003127_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

26 minutes ago, Trip said:

That is T-Mobile roaming.  The tower on Royal Ave (340) at Academy Dr.

- Trip

Cool. Maybe the Sprint towers were down for a few minutes. That's the first time I've seen that. Thanks for the explanation. 

• Like 1

The same tower in Front Royal mentioned above (306 N Royal Ave) added a 10 mhz 3rd carrier on B41. I noticed it last night. Front Royal has a lot of Sprint users and the towers do slow down during the day and evening. This should definitely help in the downtown area. 

20190104_233657.jpg

Screenshot_20190104-072159_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Galaxyguy said:

The same tower in Front Royal mentioned above (306 N Royal Ave) added a 10 mhz 3rd carrier on B41. I noticed it last night. Front Royal has a lot of Sprint users and the towers do slow down during the day and evening. This should definitely help in the downtown area. 

20190104_233657.jpg

Screenshot_20190104-072159_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

How are they using these 10MHz third carriers?  iirc the other two are 20 MHz each and are CA.  Is the third just for parking or does it perhaps act as overflow or load balancing?

How are they using these 10MHz third carriers?  iirc the other two are 20 MHz each and are CA.  Is the third just for parking or does it perhaps act as overflow or load balancing?
I'm really not certain, but the tower closest to me also has it in Woodstock. I find myself on it fairly regularly. There is no CA when on the 10 mhz channel. It's not just for idling. It stays on the channel even when using data, so I assume it's used for load balacing. Maybe someday it'll be used as a secondary download for CA with B25. That would probably be pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Indeed! Great find.

Yes it is! My wife’s g7 isn’t aggregating the two bands so I’m not sure if that device supports that band combo. My device is the xs. I’ve checked multiple times to verify it’s not a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, stealth said:

Yes it is! My wife’s g7 isn’t aggregating the two bands so I’m not sure if that device supports that band combo. My device is the xs. I’ve checked multiple times to verify it’s not a mistake. 

The G7 does support it, but I don't think it's enabled yet unless you do if yourself with the MSL. Another user has reported it in California on the S9 (beta software).

37 minutes ago, stealth said:

Probably one of the most exciting finds with sprint to date, band 26 aggregated with band 25 on the cell serving where I live.  [pics]

I can understand using B25 + B41 + B41 CA to improve upload speeds.   I am still trying to grasp using B25 + B26 CA.  The primary benefit would be for VoLTE IMO when B25 access is variable, but perhaps I am missing something.  B26 is often overloaded so only in the least populated areas would it give a pure speed boost.  Any other thoughts on B25 + B26 CA? 

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

I can understand using B25 + B41 + B41 CA to improve upload speeds.   I am still trying to grasp using B25 + B26 CA.  The primary benefit would be for VoLTE IMO when B25 access is variable, but perhaps I am missing something.  B26 is often overloaded so only in the least populated areas would it give a pure speed boost.  Any other thoughts on B25 + B26 CA? 

B26 + B25 CA would be helpful in situations where B25 has a usable downlink although its uplink is not stable. You can use B26 for the uplink and enjoy the benefit of increased download speeds. The other way around makes less sense to me unless the cell grid is fairly dense and B26 is relatively lightly used. 

• Like 3

Exciting times!  I'm in the Shentel region for the first time since the funeral and in Farmville yesterday, although the Southern Virginia market Sprint sites still have the 028xxx GCIs, I connected to 0FE876 in the Wal-Mart parking lot with PCI 19, and also saw a PCI 28 neighbor cell that I never connected to.  Going to drive by some candidate sites on the way out of town this morning and see where they're coming from.

- Trip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

The G7 does support it, but I don't think it's enabled yet unless you do if yourself with the MSL. Another user has reported it in California on the S9 (beta software).

How does someone in able it themselves?

I can't help but notice the latest Sprint coverage map update now shows the towers in Clarksville and Raines Tavern (on VA-45 north of Farmville), both of which are "Richmond sliver" expansion area sites, to be providing service.  I hope to pass by the Raines Tavern tower this weekend and will report back.

- Trip

• Like 3

In able [emoji2957] ..
Enable what?
Really you don't remember what you were talking about? You need to stop with the grammar police. Someone with a learning disability doesn't know and feels discriminated against

Not sure how you doing remember saying this. It's not showing up on my phone

8 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Really you don't remember what you were talking about? You need to stop with the grammar police. Someone with a learning disability doesn't know and feels discriminated against

I make fun of everyone including myself for mistakes on the internet. If that makes you feel discriminated against I can't really help that. At least you don't get death threats for making mistakes like those in my line of work do.

You know how to enable CA using the MSL. We've talked about it before. It's in the same area as band priority. Dial ##DATA# and select LTE. Instead of view, hit edit and enter the MSL. For many Samsung devices, it may be 000000.

I make fun of everyone including myself for mistakes on the internet. If that makes you feel discriminated against I can't really help that. At least you don't get death threats for making mistakes like those in my line of work do. You know how to enable CA using the MSL. We've talked about it before. It's in the same area as band priority. Dial ##DATA# and select LTE. Instead of view, hit edit and enter the MSL. For many Samsung devices, it may be 000000.

Death threats is going to far, so I'm really sorry I hear that Bud. I've tried doing the MSL thing and nothing. 

fe5bc00c393aae27e1dde66898294e91.jpg

On 1/23/2019 at 12:49 PM, Trip said:

I can't help but notice the latest Sprint coverage map update now shows the towers in Clarksville and Raines Tavern (on VA-45 north of Farmville), both of which are "Richmond sliver" expansion area sites, to be providing service.  I hope to pass by the Raines Tavern tower this weekend and will report back.

- Trip

The Raines Tavern site was not operating, but antennas are in place.  I observed two other GCIs which must be somewhere else in Cumberland; we'll be going back via US-60 tomorrow and hopefully I'll pass them.

Additionally, the site in Farmville that was live but didn't work a few weeks ago is now working and has CDMA.  The GCIs of the existing sites in Prince Edward and Culpeper still have the 0280xx pattern, but the Culpeper County sites have been moved to the new GCIs.  And maybe it was the placebo effect, but I could swear I had an easier time holding LTE than I used to.

- Trip

• Like 1

I’m heading up to Massaponax Va to do inventory for one of my other stores. Not sure if it was covered under the DC thread or this one. But has anyone bee up their recently? How is service up that way now a days? It’s been a few years since I’ve been through that area.