Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

1 hour ago, bbostwick8 said:

I was told that soft launch was taking place 12/13 overnight into 12/14 for select devices. (Samsung S8 and above, iPhone 8 and above and LG V30). Coming in OTA update. I can’t verify this... maybe someone else can verify this? VoLTE will need to be enabled in Network settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your information was correct. I had to reboot my phone, but as soon as it booted back up, VoLTE was working, at least in Woodstock. I'll be going to work later and will look to see that it's working between Woodstock and Front Royal, but I expect it will be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbostwick8 said:

I was told that soft launch was taking place 12/13 overnight into 12/14 for select devices. (Samsung S8 and above, iPhone 8 and above and LG V30). Coming in OTA update. I can’t verify this... maybe someone else can verify this? VoLTE will need to be enabled in Network settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted and then verbally confirmed on Reddit:

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 11:58 AM, RAvirani said:

Still waiting on Central Illinois...

On 12/14/2018 at 12:53 PM, shaferz said:

Central Il reppin.  :) . You live in C/U??

Just placed my first VoLTE call in the Central Illinois market! Voice quality to other Sprint and Verizon users is great. I’ll test with AT&T and T-Mobile soon. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, kg4icg said:

They also have band 41 in Chambersburg also. Was just up there last week

Yes that sector I was on had 5x5 band 26, 10x10 and 15x15 bad 25, (2) 20mhz and (1) 10mhz of band 41. 

• Like 1

Yep, that is quite common in Chambersburg. Not sure it is all sites, but it probably is except when you get out in the rural country.

I saw this same exact configuration a few days ago and there was a bunch of sites in my SCP neighbor site list that all appeared to have the new 8615 earfcn 15X15 band 25 carrier. A 10x10 band 25 carrier in the ""A" block has been active for a long time(EARFCN 8140) I still have to prove that we have aggregation between the 8140 and 8615 carriers for 25X25. Band 41 has been there for a long time.

Shentel is doing some great work.  It does worry me that T-Mobile is getting involved.  When you have a system that is working very well, I hate to turn it over to somebody that COULD cause some issues.

• Like 1

Yeah there are a lot of rural areas around chambersburg that you can’t get a signal with T-Mobile. And then there’s some areas in town like in Hanover pa where shentel needs to place more towers or small cells due to congestion. I know in my area Verizon has been adding small cells and macros like crazy. 

42 minutes ago, stealth said:

Yeah there are a lot of rural areas around chambersburg that you can’t get a signal with T-Mobile. And then there’s some areas in town like in Hanover pa where shentel needs to place more towers or small cells due to congestion. I know in my area Verizon has been adding small cells and macros like crazy. 

There is always going to be a spot or two somewhere that is questionable for all carriers.  Even the "Big Guys" have poor spots.

In General, Shentel has done a great job in their owned territory. 

When they have all three bands operating with the wide channels on both band 25 & 41, their service is mostly great. T-Mobile is normally in 4th place when it comes to coverage in South Central Pennsylvania. T-Mobile is very good at PR.  Not as good with their actual service.  They have their good spots, but the overall experience is not up to Shentel's standards.

6 hours ago, stealth said:

Yes I’m waiting for the tower serving my home to have more spectrum brought online. Only 5x5 of 25 and 26 online 

Yes, they still have some of that around in Rural areas.  That is enough in some locations.  As that gets saturated, they should come back and add more band 25 and sometimes they add band 41. There is added expense to increase the capacity of your site, so they do not do it until they see saturation.

Yep, that is quite common in Chambersburg. Not sure it is all sites, but it probably is except when you get out in the rural country.

I saw this same exact configuration a few days ago and there was a bunch of sites in my SCP neighbor site list that all appeared to have the new 8615 earfcn 15X15 band 25 carrier. A 10x10 band 25 carrier in the ""A" block has been active for a long time(EARFCN 8140) I still have to prove that we have aggregation between the 8140 and 8615 carriers for 25X25. Band 41 has been there for a long time.

Shentel is doing some great work.  It does worry me that T-Mobile is getting involved.  When you have a system that is working very well, I hate to turn it over to somebody that COULD cause some issues.

TMobile owns 10x10 C Block so that would allow that carrier to go 20x20. 

7 minutes ago, Galaxyguy said:

Not trying to argue, just curious...

I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?

Sprint/Shentel did and still does owns the "G" block. In at least SOME of the Shentel area, this ""G" block is being combined with the "C" block they obtained in  a swap/trade with T-Mobile.  That combination is either showing up as a 10X10 or a 15x15 in some areas of Shentel.

I still have not proven that it is aggregated with a 10X10 block in the "A block that Shentel already had established.

3 minutes ago, chamb said:

Sprint/Shentel did and still does owns the "G" block. In at least SOME of the Shentel area, this ""G" block is being combined with the "C" block they obtained in  a swap/trade with T-Mobile.  That combination is either showing up as a 10X10 or a 15x15 in some areas of Shentel.

I still have not proven that it is aggregated with a 10X10 block in the "A block that Shentel already had established.

Yes, that's what I had read previously. Just wanted to be sure. I know G block can and has been combined with adjacent spectrum to make 10x10 or even 15x15 in some areas. I just had never heard of T-Mobile owning any of the G block previously. Did T-Mobile swap G Block with Sprint anywhere?

Just now, Galaxyguy said:

Yes, that's what I had read previously. Just wanted to be sure. I know G block can and has been combined with adjacent spectrum to make 10x10 or even 15x15 in some areas. I just had never heard of T-Mobile owning any of the G block previously. Did T-Mobile swap G Block with Sprint anywhere?

Not that I know of.  It does not make sense to me for that to happen, but I guess it could in some area.  I never seen any mention of it.

Just now, chamb said:

Not that I know of.  It does not make sense to me for that to happen, but I guess it could in some area.  I never seen any mention of it.

OK, maybe Tengen meant B25, not necessarily G Block. That would make more sense.

Not trying to argue, just curious...
I thought Sprint owned the G block nationwide? Also, isn't G block only 5x5?
I edited it but it didn't change I meant C Block

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I meant C block. I thought I edited that but it didn't change

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk