Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Actually Western PA has been getting lots of LTE upgrades lately. Why Sprint does not show them on the coverage map is another story.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Well, that's good. Are they full upgrades (B25/B26, maybe even B41) or are they just GMO B25 only?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

There's actually a lot of ground west of Richmond, even outside of the Southern Virginia market, where Sprint has no service or very sparse service.  I'd love to see Shentel get involved in those areas.

- Trip

• Like 1

Better than nothing, I guess.

These may not turnout to be the GMOs of yesteryear. Mini Macros dramatically change the cost and weight/wind calculations for B41 and B26 equipment.  Hopefully we will see some soon on these GMOs just like the Clear conversions and now network vision sites in Columbus.

I received an HTC Bolt today, but unfortunately it didn't have a SIM card in it. Anybody local have a card that would work? I called the Woodstock Sprint store and was told to come in. After waiting in line for over an hour, they couldn't find the correct one.

Even though it's the same size SIM as my Note 5, they said it needs to say "80.01" on it. If anyone has one, let me know. Otherwise I'll have to see if any other Sprint stores around here have one tomorrow.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else in Ch'ville Va experiencing LTE at The Corner area? Seems like the past week and a half every time I go threw The Corner it either drops to 3g or it drops to no data signal what so ever. I've tried doing the airplane mode toggle and even tried restarting my phone etc. multiple times each time I go through the area but will not reconnect to LTE till I either hit Emmet Street or 4th Street NW/Ridge Street area depending which way I'm heading. 

Edited by JDP121

I haven't noticed that, but I'm not around the Corner much, and don't necessarily check my phone. I can say that I've never dropped music stream there, which would likely happen given the old dropped LTE means eHRPD for a while with no data.

Sent from my Tab4 on Tapatalk

I haven't noticed that, but I'm not around the Corner much, and don't necessarily check my phone. I can say that I've never dropped music stream there, which would likely happen given the old dropped LTE means eHRPD for a while with no data.

Sent from my Tab4 on Tapatalk

Ya I usually never drop data in the Corner area either. Not sure if all the construction right there at the tower across the street from World of Beer is having any impact on it or not. Since the construction is so close to it. 

After a brief outage yesterday, I noticed it looks like Sprint/Shentel just added 2xCA to the B41 towers near me. Shouldn't the secondary carrier values for RSRP, etc, still show up? I ask this because it doesn't really seem faster than before on speed tests. 5ee71fbae57d7bcdc085d92e64ea55a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

After a brief outage yesterday, I noticed it looks like Sprint/Shentel just added 2xCA to the B41 towers near me. Shouldn't the secondary carrier values for RSRP, etc, still show up? I ask this because it doesn't really seem faster than before on speed tests. 5ee71fbae57d7bcdc085d92e64ea55a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Sometimes it comes in baby steps. Sites must have the backhaul and the core for all the market's sites must be ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone else noticed mobile data dropping in and out over the past few days in the Charlottesville/Crozet area? At first I thought it was related to my new phone, but when I drive to Richmond yesterday to get a replacement sim card, I noticed it wasn't dropping in the Richmond area. My Internet connection drops out and back on up to 3 or 4 times per minute. Very odd...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Haven't noticed that, but I woke up to my phone stuck in "device management" mode. Had to restart to get rid of the notification. When I later updated my profile (on a whim), it said it would restart after completing it (which is new). Hard to say if that's the network, or my recent 7.0 update.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Sometimes it comes in baby steps. Sites must have the backhaul and the core for all the market's sites must be ready.

Well, Sprint sent me a replacement G6, and before I loaded my apps, I found the same thing occurring, mobile data going out 3-4 times per minute. Really makes it hard to use any apps while out and about. For instance, I can't use the CVS app while in the drive through to pick up and pay for a prescription. Any interruption in the data causes that app to fail.

Sure wish I could get Sprint to confirm that it's tower work causing this.

• Like 1

Shentel is in charge of sites in its area.

Has anyone else in Ch'ville Va experiencing LTE at The Corner area? Seems like the past week and a half every time I go threw The Corner it either drops to 3g or it drops to no data signal what so ever. I've tried doing the airplane mode toggle and even tried restarting my phone etc. multiple times each time I go through the area but will not reconnect to LTE till I either hit Emmet Street or 4th Street NW/Ridge Street area depending which way I'm heading. 

Think the prob was just the G4. I just did my upgrade on Tuesday and switched to an iPhone 7+ and had no problems with dropping LTE or anything. So it more than likely was a phone issue and not a network issue. 

• Like 3

I've been doing some more research on my issue with LTE dropping off and on up to four times per minute. It appears the LG G6 is the first High-Performance User Equipment (HPUE) capable device from Sprint. I found this article regarding it:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/02/lg-g6-will-sprints-first-hpue-smartphone.html

From what I can tell, this works while on Sprint's network. I've attached a screen shot showing the tower I'm connected to, owned by nTelos...

Could this somehow be causing my LTE to drop so frequently?b56c69dc343cca2397a47b51094ea634.jpg

I've been doing some more research on my issue with LTE dropping off and on up to four times per minute. It appears the LG G6 is the first High-Performance User Equipment (HPUE) capable device from Sprint. I found this article regarding it:

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/02/lg-g6-will-sprints-first-hpue-smartphone.html

From what I can tell, this works while on Sprint's network. I've attached a screen shot showing the tower I'm connected to, owned by nTelos...

Could this somehow be causing my LTE to drop so frequently?

It should not be causing issues like that. We have a thread about HPUE elsewhere in the forums. Check that out, it may answer some questions. 

Woke up this morning, and so far (knock on wood), my LTE is not dropping out, and I'm getting pretty amazing 4G speeds. Hope this is fixed!

25149ad1a6b010bff3330116e508c151.jpg

• Like 6

Woke up this morning, and so far (knock on wood), my LTE is not dropping out, and I'm getting pretty amazing 4G speeds. Hope this is fixed!

25149ad1a6b010bff3330116e508c151.jpg

Haven't been to Crozet in a few months. Glade it's seems to be getting better. Last time I was out their I was dropping LTE left and right. Hoping that they are getting it fixed finally. 

I don't think they've quite fine tuned it in Charlottesville, but at least I'm not dropping LTE completely!42b51cbbc2e58308ce9f45c95a3c8702.jpg

What part of Ch'ville is this? I might be able to give some in site depending on if I have been in that part of town recently.