Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I think there might be some upgrades and/or reconfigurations going on in Greene County, Va. Been connecting to the two towers I usually connect too quiet often, (the water tower on 33 and the one on Ford Ave. , but I've also been connecting to a tower that is labeled as Charlottesville, Va 22911, and the other one that is on Bear Den Mountain Trail, Waynsboro. Both the Ch'ville and Bear Den Mountain Trail ones are quiet a distance from my house. 

Has anyone heard of any upgrades and/or re configurations going on in Greene County Va or Albemarle County/Charlottesville areas as of lately? 

I've noticed a few conversions of old towers, but am keeping an eye out for optimizations, without really knowing what to look for other than improved signal/better speeds

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I've noticed a few conversions of old towers, but am keeping an eye out for optimizations, without really knowing what to look for other than improved signal/better speeds

Same here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else been having major issues today? Had no LTE all morning over near the Pantops area and calls have been taking at least two tries to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone else been having major issues today? Had no LTE all morning over near the Pantops area and calls have been taking at least two tries to complete.

There is a known network issue affecting the network on the entire east coast. 

Went to Zions Crossroads today and LTE is finally working! Was here yesterday and still 3G.

This area has needed LTE for a very long time and finally got it. 3157cd7da5f4acdd8cb382111a4becfc.png

• Like 5

I did notice that the Sprint map was updated yesterday when I looked at it and did notice that Zion's Crossroads was yellow finally. Glad to know they finally got LTE up and running their. They def needed it. 

Can't wait to pass through and use it! :D

- Trip

It actually works I think that's why it's so exciting [emoji16] you know the 3G there did nothing at all!

I kinda had a clue it was coming when two weeks ago I was at a friends house on that is near the next tower down from Zions on 64. Saw LTE light up there and it worked it's way on up.

• Like 1

No kidding; I found the coverage on the 3G to be really poor and once connected to it, it was really awful.  My guess is that it was just bogged down given the shopping centers and whatnot there.  I hope they took the opportunity to up the power a bit on the 3G while they were at it now that LTE should be able to handle some of that load.

Really glad to hear they're finally getting I-64 taken care of.  The mind boggles that it took this long.

Now just waiting for Shentel to do some more conversion and addition!

- Trip

• Like 4

How far east on 64 does the LTE extend?

Sent from my Sprint LG G4 using Tapatalk.

To my knowledge it goes all the way to Short Pump now. There are a few 1X spots but that is just tower spacing issues at this point. One the other way Shentel covers all of 64 in LTE up to Charlottesville

• Like 1

There's still a dead spot near the intersection of I-64 and the 250/29 bypass, though, particularly up the bypass from there

You are correct. You can hang on to LTE if you take the ramp towards Charlottesville but will lose it if you take the Lynchburg exit. 

My grandparents live in North Garden with a nTelos/Shentel tower on their property. They haven't added any LTE to that tower yet but I am able to pick up one "bar" of band 26 sitting in their living room. I talked to one of the nTelos guys about a year ago while he was working on the tower and he said that they were having some issues with backhaul to the site. I know that Verizon has band 13 on the same site so I have no clue how all that works. 

You are correct. You can hang on to LTE if you take the ramp towards Charlottesville but will lose it if you take the Lynchburg exit. 

My grandparents live in North Garden with a nTelos/Shentel tower on their property. They haven't added any LTE to that tower yet but I am able to pick up one "bar" of band 26 sitting in their living room. I talked to one of the nTelos guys about a year ago while he was working on the tower and he said that they were having some issues with backhaul to the site. I know that Verizon has band 13 on the same site so I have no clue how all that works. 

Is that the SBA Tower there?  My info has AT&T also present either on that one or nearby that I haven't found, and that's HSPA only, no LTE.

- Trip

Is that the SBA Tower there? My info has AT&T also present either on that one or nearby that I haven't found, and that's HSPA only, no LTE.

- Trip

The one on my grandparents property is owned by nTelos. There is an AT&T tower that is nearby and is still to this day HSPA+.

They also have a Verizon owned tower right beside nTelos. Verizon was quick to install LTE but nTelos was struggling to get the necessary backhaul to get LTE up and running.

• Like 1

The Shentel transcript did have an interesting nugget in there:

Q

"There has been some changes on the sprint side...work with some of the rural telcos to establish better partnership so -- can you give us an update that will be helpful."

A

"Well, to your last point first, we have been getting some phone calls...over the last 60 days from groups that are considering expanding their relationship with sprint. So we have been positive about that because we feel very positive about our current relationship with sprint.

As far as expanding the area, those discussions are going forward...it is probably going to go relatively small initially to kind of lay the ground work...but then once the ground work is laid it will set the stage for continued expanding our relationship with sprint. And hopefully we will have something to share this year."

I personally would like to see Shentel take over central VA, PA, and NY.

• Like 2

Shentel has had Central Va since the sale of.nTelos went threw back in May.

Not all of it.  Louisa County, for example, is one of four or five counties that Sprint has in the "Southern Virginia" market.  It would be nice to see those counties rolled into the Shentel region.

- Trip

• Like 1

Shentel has had Central Va since the sale of.nTelos went threw back in May.

I was more thinking of "Northern/Central" VA. Like Loudon and the fringes of Fairfax counties.

The more rural parts of Maryland like in Washington and Frederick County is much needed as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I was more thinking of "Northern/Central" VA. Like Loudon and the fringes of Fairfax counties.

The more rural parts of Maryland like in Washington and Frederick County is much needed as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Washington County Maryland is ShenTel. All along I 81 belongs to ShenTel right on up into central PA.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Washington County Maryland is ShenTel. All along I 81 belongs to ShenTel right on up into central PA.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I-68 in Washington County is USCC coverage only, no native Sprint signal until you get into Hancock. I-81 isn't the central PA I'm talking about - Places like Williamsport and State College and all of I-80 would do well under ShenTel's umbrella.