Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I can get LTE in some places in Logan County, and out towards the wv Ohio line, specifically point Pleasant and from 10 min North of Fairplane toward the Parkersburg and Athens Ohio Area... dfc5805a36b6658f5b181f16f18f7d4d.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Based on Shentel's most recent presentation to us shareholders, they have budgeted the CAPEX to upgrade the Ntelos network for this year. I'd guess they at least get 80% of it done, but knowing Shentel's historical expertise I bet they get it all done this year. The formal acquisition should close in the next week or so. I look forward to seeing my Ntelos stock cashed out. :)

Is that going to be treated as extended LTE or will it be sprint LTE showing on my iPhone when I visit that part of the region later this year ?

Is that going to be treated as extended LTE or will it be sprint LTE showing on my iPhone when I visit that part of the region later this year ?

It will show as Sprint LTE once Shentel gets control of nTelos.   This overhaul and expansion is quite a large project, so it will take some time.  Shentel still has a few loose ends to tie up yet before they officially take over the nTelos footprint.  You should see some improvements quite quickly but for the next year or so, there will still be issues in this area. Keep in mind, this is a very positive thing, it just takes time to fix the nTelos network and make it equal to the Shentel/Sprint standards.

• Like 1

It will show as Sprint LTE once Shentel gets control of nTelos. This overhaul and expansion is quite a large project, so it will take some time. Shentel still has a few loose ends to tie up yet before they officially take over the nTelos footprint. You should see some improvements quite quickly but for the next year or so, there will still be issues in this area. Keep in mind, this is a very positive thing, it just takes time to fix the nTelos network and make it equal to the Shentel/Sprint standards.

I wonder how many PoPs this will add to Sprints network

I can get LTE in some places in Logan County, and out towards the wv Ohio line, specifically point Pleasant and from 10 min North of Fairplane toward the Parkersburg and Athens Ohio Area...

And that is sprint 310120 area not nTelos/Sprint 312190. nTelos/Sprint(312190) covers Kenova/Huntington with B25/B26/B41. Something in your phone, your account, or Boost itself won't use data on 312190. It is not that Sprint LTE is not there.

I wonder how many PoPs this will add to Sprints network

Not many because most of the major population centers already have some nTelos/Sprint LTE. I am sure Shentel will get credit because the numbers may be announced when the deal finally goes through.

• Like 1

I can get LTE in some places in Logan County, and out towards the wv Ohio line, specifically point Pleasant and from 10 min North of Fairplane toward the Parkersburg and Athens Ohio Area... 

The areas you mention are likely part of the Sprint West Virginia Market (Logan, Point Pleasant and further west, and towards Parkersburg) or the Columbus Market (Athens, OH). Post any Signal Check screen shots here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7395-west-virginia-sprint-sponsor-map-spreadsheet/ or PM logs you have for credit if new or changed.

• Like 1

I picked up a weird GCI in Charlottesville a little bit ago that started in 000. It came up as Sprint, but had a weird PLMN. I was driving so I couldn't get a screenshot. Not sure if the tower just wasn't set up properly.

Also, another interesting thing. As I was coming down the east side of Afton Mtn, I connected to a Sprint 1x800 site in Mineral, VA. That's like 50 miles away. Again, I couldn't get a screenshot, but that's a long way. I also don't know if it would have held if I tried to make a call, but the signal was somewhere around -95dbm, which isn't terrible.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Afton Mountain is way up there.  Richmond TV, for example, comes booming in, very strong.  Wouldn't surprise me if you connected to something far away.

I had a GCI 00008018 appear on my S5 while changing sites and determined it was a device bug.  Is that what you saw?

- Trip

• Like 1

Afton Mountain is way up there. Richmond TV, for example, comes booming in, very strong. Wouldn't surprise me if you connected to something far away.

I had a GCI 00008018 appear on my S5 while changing sites and determined it was a device bug. Is that what you saw?

- Trip

It had a bunch of zeros at the front. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hey guys, running Boost Mobile, headed to Parkersburg WV for work this morning.

Going to be running tests with root metrics so us Boost guys have some information.

• Like 2

The nTelos Homepage for the Merger area was updated on April 29th, 2016.

https://www.ntelos.com/corporate/merger/?id=2638

If you look under number 2 you will also see this Notice:

Notice to Customers of Pending Assignment
The pending acquisition by Shenandoah Telecommunications Company (“Shentel”) of nTelos and all its assets, including all current nTelos customers, is scheduled to close on May 6, 2016. The FCC and several state regulatory agencies have approved this transaction. Pursuant to the terms of your nTelos Customer Service Agreement, this will serve to provide notice that Shentel may assign your existing agreement with nTelos to SprintCom, Inc., an affiliate of Sprint Corporation, at the closing of the acquisition. All nTelos customers will continue to receive the same, service plans without change to the terms and conditions for an extended period after the Shentel acquisition. No further action on your part is required at this time. Additional information about this change is available on this website, and on www.welcometoshentel.com. Customers may also contact Shentel directly using the question portal found here: http://welcometoshentel.com/faqs/.

• Like 3

Well in my data profile under ##data# it shows my SID 4139 now as my home SID Area which is Sprint SID instead of the nTelos 4379. Which Im going to take that the sale did go through today. Signal Check Pro is still showing the towers are broadcasting as nTelos and SID 4379 which I expect will take awhile to switch over to the new stuff.

• Like 1

SID 4379 is still broadcasting here in Charlottesville. Over the past few days my service has been pretty bad. LTE dropping to 1X and callers getting a fast busy signal. Hopefully some changes will start happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SID 4379 is still broadcasting here in Charlottesville. Over the past few days my service has been pretty bad. LTE dropping to 1X and callers getting a fast busy signal. Hopefully some changes will start happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I'm up in Greene county and spent time in Charlottesville from 9am to about 130pm. Was still picking up SID 4379 still there to. Still broadcasting the same thing up in Greene. I stayed on LTE 90% of the time when I'm in Ch'ville area with an occasional drop to 3g. Where the areas that are hard to pick up on the LTE. 

dbb66f0913352baf4b0a58bfff8534f6.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

dbb66f0913352baf4b0a58bfff8534f6.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That def Confirms it then. Was just about to check the nTelos site. But you beet me to it lol. 

I hit the coverage thing on the nTelos site. It took me here http://unlimityourdata.com/coverage/ .. It also includes 2 different coverage maps. One in the current state of what LTE (Says Exsiting Coverage as of April 2016) and another button that you can click right above it that says Projected Network Status by the End of 2018. 

• Like 1

JDP121, on 06 May 2016 - 6:50 PM, said:

I hit the coverage thing on the nTelos site. It took me here http://unlimityourdata.com/coverage/ .. It also includes 2 different coverage maps. One in the current state of what LTE (Says Exsiting Coverage as of April 2016) and another button that you can click right above it that says Projected Network Status by the End of 2018.

To summarize, every single nTelos site, covered by Shentel, or in the Columbus or Sprint WV Market, is to be converted to LTE within 32 months or so. The Sprint markets I am familiar with all have some 3G only sites. Quite a treat for nTelos customers. There will be enough B25 spectrum, that in some places where B41 is not available, it should not dramatically matter*.

Then Shentel is adding more than 150 additional coverage sites and rolling out major network upgrades inside the shaded area.http://welcometoshentel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/shentel_coverage.png

The spectrum benefits will extend to a lesser extend into the southern and eastern portion of the expanded Columbus metro area, close to Richmond. plus other areas. This has also spurred other spectrum deals that extend the benefits even further.

*given new 1900 RRH possibilities or use of multiple 1900 RRHs per sector. The current RRHs will be maximized first to a much greater degree than usual.

• Like 2

To summarize, every single nTelos site, covered by Shentel, or in the Columbus or Sprint WV Market, is to be converted to LTE within 32 months or so. The Sprint markets I am familiar with all have some 3G only sites. Quite a treat for nTelos customers. There will be enough B25 spectrum, that in some places where B41 is not available, it should not dramatically matter*.

Then Shentel is adding more than 150 additional coverage sites and rolling out major network upgrades inside the shaded area.http://welcometoshentel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/shentel_coverage.png

The spectrum benefits will extend to a lesser extend into the southern and eastern portion of the expanded Columbus metro area, close to Richmond. plus other areas. This as also spurred other spectrum deals that extend the benefits even further.

*given new 1900 RRH possibilities or use of multiple 1900 RRHs per sector. The current RRHs will be maximized first to a much greater degree than usual.

Projection of the WV market still sucks.....

Here in Huntington, mainly seeing B41, not much B25 at all...

B25 and B26 are both there the problem is that B41 covers so much. But that is a good problem in that area.

It is already better than many of sprint's markets because there is spots of B41 parts of in WV.

Looks good to me. Heavy capacity and enhanced coverage? Can't cover the state completely, I'm impressed