LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

How does SignalCheck look.. everything seem ok? Right now you won't see any indication of what LTE band you are on, but I hope to find a way to get that in there..

-Mike

Is there anything you need from the future LG G2 users that can help you get to this point?

LMAO I knew someone was going to give him a pimp slap for that one.

FCC is only making sure devices operate within licensed agreements and not pose interference to other wireless services..

Remember Lightsquared and the issues they had with interfering with GPS signals...The FCC is mainly concerned with mitigating such problems not how high of a score it can get on speedtest.

I'm pretty sure that was a back hand slap I just got lol

To the people reporting poor Band 25 reception.

Did you enable Band 26 and Band 41?

Maybe Sprint was already ahead of you on this and you actually are causing the problem?

Maybe they made the reception thresholds vary depending on Band settings and by turning on Band 26 and Band 41 you have actually created a problem that wouldn't exist if you had left them disabled, until Band 41 and Band 26 started popping up.

Excellent thought, seems not to line up in reality. I'm sitting in the aforementioned spot where the Note II got LTE, and the G2 does not. Disabled Band 26 and Band 41, rebooted, PRL and Profile updated, Airplaine cycle, and, nothing but EHRPD.

Meanwhile, I'm connected to my MyFi 500 is cruising along on B25, back indoors...

LTE is not new. LTE on Band 25 is not new. Multi-band LTE devices are not new. Only thing new here is TDD LTE on Band 41. I don't think there is a hardware issue here affecting Band 25. Just a feeling though.

I would like to know what people's G2 LTE Engineering screens say when they are in these weak signal areas and won't connect.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Eh, looks like junk data honestly.

IFxRe3x.png

dYTmNFP.png

How does SignalCheck look.. everything seem ok? Right now you won't see any indication of what LTE band you are on, but I hope to find a way to get that in there..

-Mike

Looks pretty normal. Haven't had a chance to look at it while connected to LTE. As I've mentioned before, there's no B26 or B41 around here yet, either.
  • Like 1

Excellent thought, seems not to line up in reality. I'm sitting in the aforementioned spot where the Note II got LTE, and the G2 does not. Disabled Band 26 and Band 41, rebooted, PRL and Profile updated, Airplaine cycle, and, nothing but EHRPD.

Sounds like this issue needs to be reported to Sprint.  Perhaps there is a firmware update in the works to help with LTE connectivity issues and maybe available on launch day or shortly after.  It seems like too big of an issue to let it slip like that.

Looks pretty normal. Haven't had a chance to look at it while connected to LTE. As I've mentioned before, there's no B26 or B41 around here yet, either.

Thanks. Another G2 user posted in the SignalCheck thread about 1X showing no data when connected to LTE, let me know if you see any issues along the way.

-Mike

I would be curious to see two devices such as the LG OG, S3, or Note2 next to it both connected to LTE. Compare the two LTE screenshots on signal. Something where the two devices have a bit of RF separation but do not have a LOS advantage to the site over one another. That would be the tale right there. Somewhere a 90ish signal would be perfect.

• Like 2

Screen shots.... i have all bands enabled. I am not connecting to band 25 at all it seems. My htc one is not connected to lte as i type this. When my htc on has lte the G2 does not, i believe i am connected To band 41not sure how to check tho.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1382560371932.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1382560409529.jpg

• Like 1

abrown83, on 23 Oct 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:snapback.png

To the people reporting poor Band 25 reception.

Did you enable Band 26 and Band 41?

Maybe Sprint was already ahead of you on this and you actually are causing the problem?

Maybe they made the reception thresholds vary depending on Band settings and by turning on Band 26 and Band 41 you have actually created a problem that wouldn't exist if you had left them disabled, until Band 41 and Band 26 started popping up.

Meanwhile, I'm connected to my MyFi 500 is cruising along on B25, back indoors...

I would be curious in digiblur's response as well.

I would be curious to see two devices such as the LG OG, S3, or Note2 next to it both connected to LTE. Compare the two LTE screenshots on signal. Something where the two devices have a bit of RF separation but do not have a LOS advantage to the site over one another. That would be the tale right there. Somewhere a 90ish signal would be perfect.

I think the issue becomes unless you are comparing them side by side at the same time any reference to one working and not the other has to be taken with a grain of salt.  There are too many other determining factors in coverage at any given time.

Screen shots.... i have all bands enabled. I am not connecting to band 25 at all it seems. My htc one is not connected to lte as i type this. When my htc on has lte the G2 does not, i believe i am connected To band 41not sure how to check tho.

Quickest way would be to just disable band 41 right?

I would go find a spot where your HTC One is connected and your LG G2 is not.

Then I would disable everything except Band 25, restart, PRL Update, Airplane Mode Cycle and see if they both connect and what the signal strength is for both of them.

Ok, so.

I got really annoyed and drove out to the closest LTE site, and parked 300 feet away from it. Brought my MiFi 500 with me, which was connected fine, at -75 dBm RSRP. Cycle airplane mode on the G2 a couple times, stuck on 3G. At this point, I'm worried. This isn't a signal strength issue, it's more like an LTE auth issue, like what plagued the EVO LTE at launch.

Muck with my LTE band selection settings in ##DATA#. Nothing. Toggle airplane mode, Profile/PRL Updates, nothing. Worried I may have mucked something up, I do a ##RTN# (completely wipes the device, including programming and network info), and when it reactivates... nothing.

I get an idea. I go in to Mobile Network Settings, switch it from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA Only" and back to "LTE/CDMA". It connects! And then... disconnects, after working for about 30 seconds. Bars drop to zero, and a notification pops up that says "Unable to establish wireless data connection". Following that, it connects to 3G again.

Once I get back here (where LTE was at around -110 on the Note II), I do the same thing again. It connects to LTE! That puts its signal strength ability at a bit less than the Note's. However, it does the same thing, refuses to stay connected.

As such, I am not going to be offering any more opinions on the G2's signal strength, and will be operating on the assumption that mine is defective. This will be this way unless there is an official release or update to correct it.

Thanks. Another G2 user posted in the SignalCheck thread about 1X showing no data when connected to LTE, let me know if you see any issues along the way.

-Mike

Actually, in my small amount of testing just now, Signalcheck Pro shows "no cellular connection" and shows no data at all while connected to 4G LTE on B25. This is true even after enabling "show hidden data". Again, not sure if this is simply my device being defective, or something else.
  • Like 1

From the dialer, enter ##DEBUG# (that's ##33284#). Tap "LTE Engineering", then then "Band" section. That's what you're connected to.

Quickest way would be to just disable band 41 right?

I would go find a spot where your HTC One is connected and your LG G2 is not.

Then I would disable everything except Band 25, restart, PRL Update, Airplane Mode Cycle and see if they both connect and what the signal strength is for both of them.

as soon as i enabled the other bands i started having connection issues with 25. I hard reset the device and made sure only band 25 was enabled, profile update prl update. Seems like nothing. Will get this to connect to band 25. I will say this tho, i had no problems before i enabled the other bands.

koiulpoi: Maybe your device or SIM isn't provisioned at all for LTE. You probably need to call customer service and have it reprovisioned, or at the very least (if you have an inactive Sprint device) try swapping it out and back in online.

as soon as i enabled the other bands i started having connection issues with 25. I hard reset the device and made sure only band 25 was enabled, profile update prl update. Seems like nothing. Will get this to connect to band 25. I will say this tho, i had no problems before i enabled the other bands.

It is sounding more like an LTE authentication issue with the SIM card.  Hopefully a quick call to Sprint can help straighten this out.  If not I suppose you can't activate a new SIM and try it out?

Ok, so.

I got really annoyed and drove out to the closest LTE site, and parked 300 feet away from it. Brought my MiFi 500 with me, which was connected fine, at -75 dBm RSRP. Cycle airplane mode on the G2 a couple times, stuck on 3G. At this point, I'm worried. This isn't a signal strength issue, it's more like an LTE auth issue, like what plagued the EVO LTE at launch.

Muck with my LTE band selection settings in ##DATA#. Nothing. Toggle airplane mode, Profile/PRL Updates, nothing. Worried I may have mucked something up, I do a ##RTN# (completely wipes the device, including programming and network info), and when it reactivates... nothing.

I get an idea. I go in to Mobile Network Settings, switch it from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA Only" and back to "LTE/CDMA". It connects! And then... disconnects, after working for about 30 seconds. Bars drop to zero, and a notification pops up that says "Unable to establish wireless data connection". Following that, it connects to 3G again.

Once I get back here (where LTE was at around -110 on the Note II), I do the same thing again. It connects to LTE! That puts its signal strength ability at a bit less than the Note's. However, it does the same thing, refuses to stay connected.

As such, I am not going to be offering any more opinions on the G2's signal strength, and will be operating on the assumption that mine is defective. This will be this way unless there is an official release or update to correct it.

Actually, in my small amount of testing just now, Signalcheck Pro shows "no cellular connection" and shows no data at all while connected to 4G LTE on B25. This is true even after enabling "show hidden data". Again, not sure if this is simply my device being defective, or something else.

i am having the same issues as you are.i had an lte connection that i believe was 41 on my G2 my htc one had nothing. I am now sitting under a live band 25 location my htc one os connected with a -75 my G2 just refuses to connect.

Could it be possible that Sprint is not authorizing any LG G2's SKUs to authenticate to LTE at this moment?  I do remember seeing earlier today that people were observing that their LG G2 was not registered in the system.

Could it be possible that Sprint is not authorizing any LG G2's SKUs to authenticate to LTE at this moment?  I do remember seeing earlier today that people were observing that their LG G2 was not registered in the system.

My problem with that is... LTE works, when it works. I'll get a minute or so of LTE, and then nothing. I have no idea how LTE authentication works, but my own common sense would tell me that if it doesn't auth, it just won't work. It's not like you get a 30 second preview of your Google account when you put in your password wrong in GMail. But, if it's something that keeps "kicking" the phones, well... I don't know. It possible.

Too bad we can't get into DATA yet and force LTE only.

I am curious if they have the ability to interject 3G signal into the determination on Data connections.

Does it always go

25 >> 41 >> 26 >> 3G

or could it go

25 at -80 >> 3G at -70 >> 25 at -100 >> 41 >> 26

When I activated the device I had an active lte connection. No problem. Not even 5 minutes later I enabled the other bands. I honestly dont know if I would have had any issues with 25 had I not enabled the other bands. I should have waited a bit to enable them. I am afraid that these are the issues that delayed this device and the reason only band 25 was enabled.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

In case anyone missed it, enyce9 posted a screenshot of SignalCheck while on LTE.  It shows both the GCI and PCI for LTE.  Cool stuff!! ;) ;)  Nail down this LTE oddness and it sounds like a winner.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/page-54?p=224840&do=findComment&comment=224840

• Like 3

When I activated the device I had an active lte connection. No problem. Not even 5 minutes later I enabled the other bands. I honestly dont know if I would have had any issues with 25 had I not enabled the other bands. I should have waited a bit to enable them. I am afraid that these are the issues that delayed this device and the reason only band 25 was enabled.

Maybe disabling them is not actually disabling them and causing interference of some kind?

That would indicate a complete reset but another user mentioned they already did this.

So are you saying that prior to enabling B26 and B41 on your phone, you had perfect B25 LTE connection.  So now that perhaps enabling B26 and B41 bands has permanently screwed up the firmware for B25 LTE even if you disable B26 and B41 LTE bands?

I mean I get that perhaps enabling B26 and B41 could cause issues at the moment which is why it was disabled by default.  What I don't understand is why after you re-disable B26 and B41 bands you are still having B25 LTE issues if that was truly the culprit.  Its makes it appear as if manually enabling B26 and B41 has permanently damaged something that prevents B25 from working again.  This seems really strange.

In case anyone missed it, enyce9 posted a screenshot of SignalCheck while on LTE.  It shows both the GCI and PCI for LTE.  Cool stuff!! ;) ;)  Nail down this LTE oddness and it sounds like a winner.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3060-signalcheck-android-app-to-monitor-your-2g3g4g-lte-signal-strengths/page-54?p=224840&do=findComment&comment=224840

That's awesome! 

So are you saying that prior to enabling B26 and B41 on your phone, you had perfect B25 LTE connection.  So now that perhaps enabling B26 and B41 bands has permanently screwed up the firmware for B25 LTE even if you disable B26 and B41 LTE bands?

That seems rather strange.

This behavior is definitely a good reason to delay launch as well as keep bands 26 and 41 disabled for the time being. Hopefully LG and Sprint has firmware ready soon to fix this. This is definitely good knowledge to have as now I don't think I'll be manually enabling those two extra bands of LTE until LG and Sprint fix the firmware.