LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Disagree.. As long as the tower isn't congested a -110 to -115 LTE signal is better than any EVDO signal anyway.

I know you have extensive knowledge on this kind of stuff but that hasn't been my experience.

Whenever I get anything below around -108 LTE signal things get very shaky. My phone tries to transmit but nothing happens.

I know you have extensive knowledge on this kind of stuff but that hasn't been my experience.

Whenever I get anything below around -108 LTE signal things get very shaky. My phone tries to transmit but nothing happens.

There is variability in the quality of signal. A poor quality -108 RSRP signal may not be usable, but a decent quality -120 may be usable. Also, the device can play into the factor of a weak signal being usable as well.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

There is variability in the quality of signal. A poor quality -108 RSRP signal may not be usable, but a decent quality -120 may be usable. Also, the device can play into the factor of a weak signal being usable as well.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Just going to say that.. Check the RSRQ and SNR next time you see a dead -110 signal.

• Like 2

There is variability in the quality of signal. A poor quality -108 RSRP signal may not be usable, but a decent quality -120 may be usable. Also, the device can play into the factor of a weak signal being usable as well. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Just going to say that.. Check the RSRQ and SNR next time you see a dead -110 signal.

I learn something new everyday on this site

• Like 1

It's well known that the Note 2 is an RF beast. It's unfair to judge the G2 against it in that respect. Holding my Note 2 an S3 and an iPhone (all on Sprint) in the same location I would consistently have a better signal and speeds on the Note 2 than both the 2 other devices. So I would imagine the G2's RF performance is average and not as terrible as some of you might fear.

It's better for the user anyway that the G2 doesn't want connect to a poor -110Db signal as it would increase the drain on the battery and not be very reliable anyway.

I'll be doing more tests later on today, but mine also seems to be worse than the iPhone 5 for B25 LTE, a device I'd call middle of the road.

That -110 dBm signal is far from unusable. My MiFi 500 works great on it, with nearly identical strength to the Note II. It runs at around 4 Mbps with 50ms pings, during peak hours. It also did not drain the battery - at least not enough to be noticeable. Also, I'd rather a -110 dBm RSRP LTE signal than a - 105 EVDO and 1X signal.

In other news, after doing a PRL update, it connected to BC10 just fine, with better strength than the Note II.

Also, the device (while stock) shows your bars based on the data connection, not voice, so LTE bars are more or less "correct".

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll be doing more tests later on today, but mine also seems to be worse than the iPhone 5 for B25 LTE, a device I'd call middle of the road.

That -110 dBm signal is far from unusable. My MiFi 500 works great on it, with nearly identical strength to the Note II. It runs at around 4 Mbps with 50ms pings, during peak hours. It also did not drain the battery - at least not enough to be noticeable. Also, I'd rather a -110 dBm RSRP LTE signal than a - 105 EVDO and 1X signal.

In other news, after doing a PRL update, it connected to BC10 just fine, with better strength than the Note II.

Also, the device (while stock) shows your bars based on the data connection, not voice, so LTE bars are more or less "correct".

I know everyone loves the internet connection stats, but, if you could please compare later in the day the actual voice/call reception signal strength compared to other devices?

A Sprint employee in another forum said the G2 suffers from LTE connectivity and requires a profile/PRL update to reconnect to LTE on b25. You think this is the issue? Signal strength imo is of the most important factors for me.

My Evo almost always has faster LTE speeds than my galaxy s 3 even if the signal is not as good.

A Sprint employee in another forum said the G2 suffers from LTE connectivity and requires a profile/PRL update to reconnect to LTE on b25. You think this is the issue? Signal strength imo is of the most important factors for me.

I'm starting to think that besides the fact that it will be Sprints first triband phone that the issues connecting to LTE is already know by LG and Sprint and I would not be surprised to see a first day launch update for this phone to correct that problem.

I know everyone loves the internet connection stats, but, if you could please compare later in the day the actual voice/call reception signal strength compared to other devices?

Not sure how much help I can be; I'm a "data first" type of guy, rarely using over 60 minutes a month. Additionally, everywhere I'll be today, my 1X signal should be at least -85 dBm, usually better. It's -77 dBm right now. For the record, SMS has been fast, and the one call I made sounded better than the Note II.

Dunno where that info came from; as of yesterday, the SKUs for it don't even exist. My account says I'm running a "NOTFOUND". I've done both Profile/PRL in B25 LTE areas, and it hasn't done anything. If the signal is strong, I have seen it scan and pick it up normally. Naturally, all my conclusions are from minimal testing - I've been trying to have a social life while simultaneously sneaking off to check engineering screens, heh.

Edit: It now says my device is a "LG G2 Pre-order" on sprint.com.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that besides the fact that it will be Sprints first triband phone that the issues connecting to LTE is already know by LG and Sprint and I would not be surprised to see a first day launch update for this phone to correct that problem.

Sounds like the EVO LTE all over again.

Not sure how much help I can be; I'm a "data first" type of guy, rarely using over 60 minutes a month. Additionally, everywhere I'll be today, my 1X signal should be at least -85 dBm, usually better. It's -77 dBm right now. For the record, SMS has been fast, and the one call I made sounded better than the Note II.

Dunno where that info came from; as of yesterday, the SKUs for it don't even exist. My account says I'm running a "NOTFOUND". I've done both Profile/PRL in B25 LTE areas, and it hasn't done anything. If the signal is strong, I have seen it scan and pick it up normally. Naturally, all my conclusions are from minimal testing - I've been trying to have a social life while simultaneously sneaking off to check engineering screens, heh.

Edit: It now says my device is a "LG G2 Pre-order" on sprint.com.

"social life" what the heck is that? You find out everything there is about this phone in detail for us, pronto

lol j/k of course

Is it possible that the weaker than expected band 25 performance is a symptom of the phone being a tri-band device? Maybe this is where you are supposed to fall back to band 26? Not that it's helpful right now, but perhaps it keeps you from using band 25 until it's unusable, and instead kicks to to band 26. Just a thought until we actually have band 26 to test with.

Interesting findings thus far.  It kinda contradicts AJ's findings in his LG G2 article where he analyzed the FCC results where he says that B25 LTE looks to be pretty good. Hopefully this is just the first few days of the device and any issues can be resolved with a firmware update.

Thank goodness Sprint took an extra six weeks to work out the bugs... Hopefully this isn't an issue people are stuck with for the duration.

As someone who lives in the Chicago area and is not under contract so I'm free to choose a carrier and device, can someone give me good reason why I should choose the G2 on Sprint over the same phone on, say, t-mobile?

"social life" what the heck is that? You find out everything there is about this phone in detail for us, pronto

lol j/k of course

It's where you do things with people outside of the internet. It can be pretty scary.

As I'm a natural introvert, today (being a day off from work, too), will be my "stay indoors and don't talk to anyone" day. After this, I'll be great for another week or two.

That being said, device testing will be limited.

Is it possible that the weaker than expected band 25 performance is a symptom of the phone being a tri-band device? Maybe this is where you are supposed to fall back to band 26? Not that it's helpful right now, but perhaps it keeps you from using band 25 until it's unusable, and instead kicks to to band 26. Just a thought until we actually have band 26 to test with.

I had the same thought, honestly. This seems especially likely, as the default "band order" is 25 > 41 > 26. If that stays, auto-kicking people from 25 on to other bands will need to happen.

Don't jinx it dude lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

It's news I didn't want to hear either. This was the only phone left for me after the Note3 failure. I will taking a pass on this one as well it seems. Not doing the deja vu EVO thing. There is the S4T but I will just hope for the N3T by the time my upgrade is up.. All dependent if they fix the 1 yr and counting issue with my work site of course.

mine as well, I can also confirm that this device definitely does have b25 connection issues.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Are you having B25 connection issues maintaining even a strong LTE signal OR just a cell edge LTE signal?  What is your signal reading when you are experiencing these connection issues?  

I would be very worried if the device is having B25 connection issues if it the area is reading a -80 RSRP for LTE.  Remember that we don't know what the thresholds are set for the maximum weakest signal for B25 LTE.  Perhaps this is what is leading to the issues.

is it true, you can't use data while on a phone call unless connected to wifi?  read this somewhere else:

(Negative) Data/Voice - this may be a deal breaker for some. Not able to connect to data while on a phone call unless on WiFi. The LG rep wasn't aware of this till I told him, and said it works on Verizon. The only other phones that have this problem in Sprint are iPhones

is it true, you can't use data while on a phone call unless connected to wifi?  read this somewhere else:

(Negative) Data/Voice - this may be a deal breaker for some. Not able to connect to data while on a phone call unless on WiFi. The LG rep wasn't aware of this till I told him, and said it works on Verizon. The only other phones that have this problem in Sprint are iPhones

Wasn't the G2 confirmed not to support SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE) awhile back? Even though the specs list SVLTE for the Global version... I guess we lost that with Triband?

-does his WiWavelength summoning dance-

Edited by WhiteZero

This is a limitation of Sprint's transition to TD-LTE, for the most part. From what I understand and what AJ has explained, it's exceptionally difficult to get SV-LTE and TD-LTE working on the same handset.