LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Been wondering if wifi calling is included. Saw only two hits on wifi directly.

I doubt it.  That ship has sailed since the LG G2 phone was released in 2013.  I think all 2014 Sprint LTE phones have wifi calling built in.

Looks like google just release Android 5.1: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2015/03/10/google-releases-android-5-1-introduces-essential-feature/  with "stability and performance improvements".  I wonder if they'll upgrade us directly to 5.1 if it really fixes most/all the issues people have been reporting with 5.0?

Looks like google just release Android 5.1: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2015/03/10/google-releases-android-5-1-introduces-essential-feature/ with "stability and performance improvements". I wonder if they'll upgrade us directly to 5.1 if it really fixes most/all the issues people have been reporting with 5.0?

My hope is that the current ZVF build in testing for Android 5.0.2 fails and that they migrate to Android 5.1. Android 5.1 adds some nice features and I am willing to wait a few more months to have those features incorporated. Since Xposed for Lollipop is still in testing, I don't really care for Lollipop at this point.

The weird thing is that one of the main features for Android 5.1 is the ability of HD Voice but the article only mentions Verizon and Tmobile being able to take advantage of HD voice; What happened to Sprint? Sprint is actually deploying 1xAdvanced so I would expect that they would be able to use HD voice in Android 5.1.

But my expectations of the OEM and carrier are really low so in reality I don't expect them to abandon Android 5.0.2 baseline and will fix any bugs necessary for the Android 5.0.2 baseline.

My hope is that the current ZVF build in testing for Android 5.0.2 fails and that they migrate to Android 5.1. Android 5.1 adds some nice features and I am willing to wait a few more months to have those features incorporated. Since Xposed for Lollipop is still in testing, I don't really care for Lollipop at this point.

The weird thing is that one of the main features for Android 5.1 is the ability of HD Voice but the article only mentions Verizon and Tmobile being able to take advantage of HD voice; What happened to Sprint? Sprint is actually deploying 1xAdvanced so I would expect that they would be able to use HD voice in Android 5.1.

But my expectations of the OEM and carrier are really low so in reality I don't expect them to abandon Android 5.0.2 baseline and will fix any bugs necessary for the Android 5.0.2 baseline.

I'm not sure I follow your meaning. Sprint's LG G2 received HD Voice last year in QTR 4 of 2015. I've had it since and it's been functional and don't see why any future OS updates would take it away being it's a carrier firmware. 

I'm not sure I follow your meaning. Sprint's LG G2 received HD Voice last year in QTR 4 of 2015. I've had it since and it's been functional and don't see why any future OS updates would take it away being it's a carrier firmware.

See this excerpt about one of the top features of Android 5.1. There are few things you are misunderstanding about Android 5.1 HD voice and Sprint's HD voice. What Android 5.1 is proposing is that calls between any Android users with devices using Android 5.1 is that their calls will be HD voice and they specifically call out Verizon and Tmobile getting upgrades being able to take advantage of this. Sprint's HD voice is limited to only calls between Sprint customers with HD voice capable devices. That is a huge difference in that the former applies to a larger pool of Android users while the latter applies to only Sprint customers. This has nothing to do with Sprint stripping out the HD voice capability BETWEEN Sprint customers...of course that will remain.

My point was why doesn't the article list Sprint as being able to take advantage of Android 5.1's HD voice support especially when its cell towers are able to support HD voice?

http://www.androidcentral.com/whats-new-android-51-some-big-and-small-changes-updated-lollipop-release#slide3

Though we've heard reports of HD voice already working for some folks on T-Mo — and occasionally experienced it for ourselves on some European networks using the Nexus 6 — Android 5.1 makes it nice and official, and built into the OS. Nexus 6 users on T-Mobile and Verizon (when that version of the phone launches) will be able to enjoy higher-quality voice calls when the 5.1 update arrives.
  • Like 1

See this excerpt about one of the top features of Android 5.1. There are few things you are misunderstanding about Android 5.1 HD voice and Sprint's HD voice. What Android 5.1 is proposing is that calls between any Android users with devices using Android 5.1 is that their calls will be HD voice and they specifically call out Verizon and Tmobile getting upgrades being able to take advantage of this. Sprint's HD voice is limited to only calls between Sprint customers with HD voice capable devices. That is a huge difference in that the former applies to a larger pool of Android users while the latter applies to only Sprint customers. This has nothing to do with Sprint stripping out the HD voice capability BETWEEN Sprint customers...of course that will remain.

My point was why doesn't the article list Sprint as being able to take advantage of Android 5.1's HD voice support especially when its cell towers are able to support HD voice?

http://www.androidcentral.com/whats-new-android-51-some-big-and-small-changes-updated-lollipop-release#slide3

The HD voice call out for T-Mobile and Verizon is VoLTE using whatever the HD codec is, I can't remember off the top of my head. It doesn't call out Sprint because they don't support VoLTE yet.

Maybe it's because those other providers "hardware" as it applies to the towers/base stations don't actually enable HD voice where as our Sprint NV hardware enables any Sprint users with HD voice hand sets connecting to NV base stations to take advantage.  I'd think they STILL should point out that Android 5.1 to 5.1 calls will be HD voice on our network and what sounds like inter-carrier calls as well. 

The HD voice call out for T-Mobile and Verizon is VoLTE using whatever the HD codec is, I can't remember off the top of my head. It doesn't call out Sprint because they don't support VoLTE yet.

Or this... :-D

I was thinking along the same lines that VoLTE may play a vital role in HD Voice via Android 5.1.

* It is limited though to only those carriers just like Sprint HD is limited to Sprint customers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has probably occurred to at least someone before but my G2 is getting a bad case of the muffled voice syndrome where it seems like 50% of my calls, the receiver on the other end is telling me that they can barely hear me but I can hear them just fine. 

Its really started to annoy me :angry:  :angry: because I need to be able to use my cell phone as of late for the voice part to take care of some deals.  I think its a LG issue but I don't know why all of a sudden in my 1.5 years of owning the phone is this starting to happen.  Is it the ZVE update?  Anyone who has this issue know a good way to fix this?  I have read stuff like to use compress air to blow any lint or dust off the microphone holes or speaker holes but I am not sure if that is the only reason.  Any advice?

• Like 1

I know this has probably occurred to at least someone before but my G2 is getting a bad case of the muffled voice syndrome where it seems like 50% of my calls, the receiver on the other end is telling me that they can barely hear me but I can hear them just fine.

Its really started to annoy me :angry::angry: because I need to be able to use my cell phone as of late for the voice part to take care of some deals. I think its a LG issue but I don't know why all of a sudden in my 1.5 years of owning the phone is this starting to happen. Is it the ZVE update? Anyone who has this issue know a good way to fix this? I have read stuff like to use compress air to blow any lint or dust off the microphone holes or speaker holes but I am not sure if that is the only reason. Any advice?

Use a compressed air on the bottom, near the head phone jack. Or just blow it.

Use a compressed air on the bottom, near the head phone jack. Or just blow it.

Thanks.  I will give it a try tonight. Is this really just the solution or is this just a band aid fix? 

Its really started to annoy me :angry:  :angry: because I need to be able to use my cell phone as of late for the voice part to take care of some deals.  I think its a LG issue but I don't know why all of a sudden in my 1.5 years of owning the phone is this starting to happen.  Is it the ZVE update?  Anyone who has this issue know a good way to fix this?  I have read stuff like to use compress air to blow any lint or dust off the microphone holes or speaker holes but I am not sure if that is the only reason.  Any advice?

I have haven't had the problem with G2 but I have used a needle to clean a earpiece on a phone before. I have also taken apart my son's phone a couple of times (G2) to replace the screen. There is a rubber boot over the mic to help protect from wind noise. This boot could have dirt in it. The mic. is replaceable also and have seen it on amazon for $11.00.  Just look it up on youtube on how to take it apart, if you need to. Its not hard to change out the mic., or clean out where the boot is.

I found a temporary solution in another forum. Turn off OK Google search voice recognition from any screen in Google app. It has worked for me for last two days.

Edited by sgclever3

I found a temporary solution in another forum. Turn off OK Google search voice recognition from any screen in Google app. It has worked for me for last two days.

I also did that. Maybe that was what worked for me.

Thanks so much!  This just started happening with my phone too a couple weeks ago ... probably in a recent update to the Google search app.  Annoying as all hell ... I was planning to do a factory reset of the phone after uninstalling a bunch of apps to try to narrow down what the culprit was.  I knew it was a software issue (vs lint in the mic) since rebooting the phone always fixed the problem for a short amount of time.  Very happy to have a fix!

I had this problem for the longest time until I turned off the OK google voice command from any screen. It is definitely a software issue as you can immediately correct the issue by toggling the enhanced voice switch during a call when the muffin happens (assuming the other person doesn't hang up.).

I had this problem for the longest time until I turned off the OK google voice command from any screen. It is definitely a software issue as you can immediately correct the issue by toggling the enhanced voice switch during a call when the muffin happens (assuming the other person doesn't hang up.).

So are you saying the way to fix this issue you have to turn off the OK Google from any screen option AND enable the enhanced voice switch (I assume you mean the option under Phone -> Call Settings ->Voice Enhancement)?  OR just turn off the OK Google option?

Do you always keep the "Voice Enhancement" option checked at all times because I have read that some people say this doesn't help with the muffling issue.  But then again they might not have been aware about turning off the OK Google option from any screen thing.

God I hope LG fixes this bug in the Lollipop update as this is absolutely unacceptable.  I thought it was me going crazy but yeah I have noticed this crap just happening a few weeks ago.  Perhaps it was a google search update that botched things up but I do notice I don't have the voice enhancement option checked.

So are you saying the way to fix this issue you have to turn off the OK Google option from any screen AND enable the enhanced voice switch (I assume you mean the option under Phone -> Call Settings ->Voice Enhancement)?

Do you always keep the "Voice Enhancement" option checked at all times because I have read that some people say this doesn't help with the muffling issue. But then again they might not have been aware about turning off the OK Google option from any screen thing.

What I mean is that this is clearly a software issue because when it happens, you can immediately fix it by changing the voice enhancement switch whether already on or off to the opposite (off to on or on to off) while the other person is still connected and hasnt already hung up on you. The issue became completely resolved when I switched off the voice activated "OK Google" from any screen function. I think what may be happening is that keeping the function in keeps the microphone active for that function to listen for the command and therefore doesn't switch over to the call app when needed, leading to a muffled voice. Switching the voice enhancement to on or off during a call resets or activates the microphone over to the call app. It worked every time. So now I just turned off the ok google voice function and have not had the problem since.

What I mean is that this is clearly a software issue because when it happens, you can immediately fix it by changing the voice enhancement switch whether already on or off to the opposite (off to on or on to off) while the other person is still connected and hasnt already hung up on you. The issue became completely resolved when I switched off the voice activated "OK Google" from any screen function. I think what may be happening is that keeping the function in keeps the microphone active for that function to listen for the command and therefore doesn't switch over to the call app when needed, leading to a muffled voice. Switching the voice enhancement to on or off during a call resets or activates the microphone over to the call app. It worked every time. So now I just turned off the ok google voice function and have not had the problem since.

Ahh in that case, I'll just leave the "OK Google" option disabled since that is the best solution since if I ever needed to use Google Now, I'll just use my Android Wear watch.  I'll try it out and see if this permanently fixes my issue. Thanks again for the tip.

However I am a bit surprised that this only affects the LG G2.  I would expect this issue to affect all Android phones.  I still think LG and/or Google needs to fix this huge bug in the Lollipop update.  Its ridiculous that bugs like this fall through the cracks.

Well this is not exactly Sprint testing lollipop on lg g2 but it has to be a sign.

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-lg-g2-and-lg-g3-lollipop-update-moves-t-mobile-testing

If TMo is getting ready to release the G2 update to lollipop hopefully Sprint won't be too far behind. 

Well this is not exactly Sprint testing lollipop on lg g2 but it has to be a sign.

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-lg-g2-and-lg-g3-lollipop-update-moves-t-mobile-testing

If TMo is getting ready to release the G2 update to lollipop hopefully Sprint won't be too far behind. 

Sprint has had our L update and testing for a few weeks IIRC.

• Like 2

But does team d3rp have any plans on getting us a L ROM?   :unsure:

Sadly.... no.  LG's support of the dev community has driven us back to a much much more accepting mfg that many of us have never walked away from, but have two timed with LG because we really did love the G2 platform.  There is no reason we (as G2 users) should be forced to use a radio/firmware combo that is 3 updates behind because of their locking policies and software dependencies.  

I will say this though, the G2 is still my most favorite Android device, I held on to it the longest out of any device, all the way back to 2004.  If it weren't for the complete lack of GPS, even after sending to LG for repair, I'd probably keep my G2 or at least not be worried about keeping it and giving to a family member.  LG did a great job with the device but with no support for the Dev community, it is time to move on to greener pastures. We'll be rolling pretty with the new device though so pretty excited about getting back to what we love.  :)

• Like 1

So it has been several days since using your recommended fix of turning off the "OK Google from any screen" option under Voice and I have to say that the issue is completely gone.  All my calls since turning that option off people have been telling me that they hear me loud and clear now without having to call hangup and call them back multiple times.  I am surprised that such a tiny fix makes all the difference.  Thanks again for the tip.

For those that still get the muffled voice issue, it has nothing to do with dust gathering up in your microphone and need compressed air to clear it out.  Just go to the Google app and turn off the "OK Google from any screen" option and it will fix the issue.

• Like 1