LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

The only reason that I want to root is to wirelessly tether.Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Wireless tethering is easily available by contacting Sprint and adding it to your account. No rooting needed.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I like that tethering is only $10 now for a nice amount of data. It is also nice you can add or remove it without penalty. I just wish that with the new plans that Sprint would include a built on tethering cap, even if it is a few hundred megs or something.

• Like 3

Im still waiting on Spark lol. Its not fair. But since kitkat already rolled out in korea it cant be that hard to give it to us in the states

I'm waiting for Spark too. My G2 is not activated currently, since I am using my Samsung GN3.

Does anyone know if the Spark update will happen over WiFi? I intended to activate the G2 again once 800 LTE lights up here in Harrisburg.

Im still waiting on Spark lol. Its not fair. But since kitkat already rolled out in korea it cant be that hard to give it to us in the states

You'll get spark lol I was very surprised when I checked the day it was released and had the update. I still have no 100% yay or nay about the modem though as my area has poor lte and varying 3g connections. Although I have gotten the text and in Sprint zone about upgrades in my area so fingers crossed about that right now.

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Although I have gotten the text and in Sprint zone about upgrades in my area so fingers crossed about that right now.

People got "the text" nationwide, even in areas where no Sprint coverage exists at all. It is not accurate with regard to NV progress or completion.

-Mike

• Like 1

6 days since the spark update was released and I am still showing no update available. I read the blog about only releasing to 1% for the first 24-48 hours and then 25% each day after.

Unfortunately I think Sprint prioritizes by population.  I think the large pops will always get it first and then eventually roll out to everyone nationwide.   A good gauge would be estimate the number of days it took to get the ZV8 firmware update from ZV7 firmware.  For example If it took 6 days after announcement to get the ZV8 update, then expect at least 6 days after 1/27 for the ZVA update.

Unfortunately I think Sprint prioritizes by population.  I think the large pops will always get it first and then eventually roll out to everyone nationwide.   A good gauge would be estimate the number of days it took to get the ZV8 firmware update from ZV7 firmware.  For example If it took 6 days after announcement to get the ZV8 update, then expect at least 6 days after 1/27 for the ZVA update.

No... Almost all phones use the GOTA (Google Over-The-Air) servers for updates (HTC excepted). GOTA servers operate on a random selection of devices being eligible at a time based on the unique Android identifier the phone gets when activating initially. Most software updates of popular devices take about 20 days before they are available to all devices. Each day new identifiers (or ranges of identifiers) are added to the authorized list until it reaches almost all of them, then it is adjusted to allow access to all devices for the future. It is done this way to attempt to avoid congestion from everyone downloading simultaneously. It has the added benefit of the ability to stop sending updates out when only a small portion of devices have received it if a major issue is discovered during the initial deployment (like the Torque 2.300 update bricking some devices after upgrade). HTC has their own update system separate from GOTA that they manage.

It has nothing to do with population density, location in the country, or the device's serial number. It is all random chance where you appear in the update eligibility.

• Like 1

Thats cool but sucks at the same time. I said it once and I will say it again. For those of us that are impatient myself included they should make a kies air type of thing where we could go and manually download updates if we dont want to wait.

No... Almost all phones use the GOTA (Google Over-The-Air) servers for updates (HTC excepted). GOTA servers operate on a random selection of devices being eligible at a time based on the unique Android identifier the phone gets when activating initially. Most software updates of popular devices take about 20 days before they are available to all devices. Each day new identifiers (or ranges of identifiers) are added to the authorized list until it reaches almost all of them, then it is adjusted to allow access to all devices for the future. It is done this way to attempt to avoid congestion from everyone downloading simultaneously. It has the added benefit of the ability to stop sending updates out when only a small portion of devices have received it if a major issue is discovered during the initial deployment (like the Torque 2.300 update bricking some devices after upgrade). HTC has their own update system separate from GOTA that they manage.

It has nothing to do with population density, location in the country, or the device's serial number. It is all random chance where you appear in the update eligibility.

Thats cool but sucks at the same time. I said it once and I will say it again. For those of us that are impatient myself included they should make a kies air type of thing where we could go and manually download updates if we dont want to wait.

I wasn't waiting. I loaded it myself. It was really quite easy.

Thanks for the update on the process.  I just made that assumption since it seemed like folks who didn't live in the big markets were mentioning that they still haven't received the update.

KIES Air is provided by Samsung. LG currently does not have an update system like that. It sucks, but they obviously must think the small portion of users that would utilize it does not justify the development and support cost of the program (keep in mind, it would then have to be supported when people encounter issues, it wouldn't just be made and distributed as-is, people expect more than that from large companies like this.

I dont want to root my device. Im talking about a stock manual update solution.

You don't need to fully root your device.  If you're familiar with using the Windows and Linux command lines, you can use some files in ioroot to get a rooted android debugger (ADB) shell, which will let you put the update zip in the /cache/fota folder.  From there you can boot into the stock recovery to flash the update zip.  I believe someone else also posted instructions for using the "adb sideload" command, which I haven't used before, but may not require you have a rooted adb shell.

To use ADB, you need to install the drivers from LG's web site (http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGD801BK), download the latest ioroot (http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/ioroot/ioroot21.zip), and enable USB debugging mode (G2 goto Settings: About Phone: Software Information: Click Build Number 5 times. Go back and choose Development Settings Enable USB Debugging)

Again, if you're not comfortable with the command line in Linux and Windows, it's going to be a bit more of a learning process.

I wish I can call sprint technical support to have them push the update through my phone...

I wish I could have LG send my phone back from repair. I'm starting to think it's just sitting all alone on a table and LG is pretending it doesn't exist and each technician casually walks by the door to the room as if my phone didn't exist!

Sent from my Nexus 5